Ideal Overland setup for family + dog?

RMTWELL

I've been dreaming about the perfect overland setup for a family of four and a large dog.

I love the idea of a Flippac or AT Tacoma Habitat camper shell flip up tent, but both have some big drawbacks. Quality, price, limited sizes for a tailored fit.
There seem to be many quality manufacturers of roof top tents, but I don't like the idea of climbing up a later to get inside.
While trailers offer a lot of good options, Im not into towing long distances on the freeway (55mph in CA) or adventuring on skinny unknown trails with a trailer limiting my turn around options.

Has anyone seen a roof top tent mounted on a truck, over the cab or towards the front of the bed, with access to the tent through the truck bed?
I'd like to take that a step further with a custom or modified camper shell to allow access to the tent through the roof of the shell.

Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but a full size truck, crew cab with a roof top tent accessed through the truck bed seems like an ideal overland setup for a family of 4.

If you've got pictures, or a better idea for me, please respond.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd like to make a suggestion: rent an RV from cruise America and take it on a trip. See what you like about it, what you don't like about it, etc. Also it'll be a fun family vacation either way.

Also along those lines, there are tons of overland-style rigs available for rent in Cali. Start checking them out, and see what you think.

Either way, I'd abandon anything that is smaller than a vehicle built on a half ton chassis.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've been dreaming about the perfect overland setup for a family of four and a large dog.

I love the idea of a Flippac or AT Tacoma Habitat camper shell flip up tent, but both have some big drawbacks. Quality, price, limited sizes for a tailored fit.
There seem to be many quality manufacturers of roof top tents, but I don't like the idea of climbing up a later to get inside.
While trailers offer a lot of good options, Im not into towing long distances on the freeway (55mph in CA) or adventuring on skinny unknown trails with a trailer limiting my turn around options.

Has anyone seen a roof top tent mounted on a truck, over the cab or towards the front of the bed, with access to the tent through the truck bed?
I'd like to take that a step further with a custom or modified camper shell to allow access to the tent through the roof of the shell.

Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but a full size truck, crew cab with a roof top tent accessed through the truck bed seems like an ideal overland setup for a family of 4.

If you've got pictures, or a better idea for me, please respond.

Ever seen a Flip Pac or a Wildernest? Read up on them and you will see why.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nissan Pro 4X would be another worthy vehicle to consider.
Something like this:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2016-Nissan-Frontier-PRO-4X-Crew-Cab-4WD-Denver-t60233_L3898#listing=153175872
A tall construction style camper shell with a roof top tent for the kids might be do-able on a reasonably priced level.

Setup the camper shell with slides for fridge/cooking and drawers, then a flat shelf above that for sleeping/dog room. Hang a 270 degree canopy setup with an enclosed screen room to maximize the enjoyment.
I'm thinking it could be built with a lift and tires for about $45K, depending on options.
I've got about $10K more than that into a Jeep that seats two plus a dog...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Already been doing it in CA. 4yr old, 7yr old, mom, dad and dog.
Couple of thoughts.
Our primary trips are Early Summer or end of summer. So 2 season type gear works fine.

In our case we experimented with multi location trips and base camp type trips. We also owned a Land Cruiser, switched to a Sequoia and have the Daily hauler Subaru Outback. 4 + dog we always end up taking the Subaru with the 4x6 popup. Been towing in CA since I started driving. The 55mph thing has never really been an issue even more so today with heavy traffic on I5 and 99, paired with lots of high risk driving habits in recent yrs.

My last super close call was actually on I5 6 miles south of Redding. Damn road is nearly laser strait. Total of 5 cars north and south could be seen. One damn car tailgating the only other car in the left lane for miles. The tailgater kissed the inside gravel when he was dead nuts side by side with me. Me 68mph, him 85mph. The second his car bobbled I slammed on the brakes I had a 1800lb boat in tow behind the Subaru. Tailgater swapped ends and was nose to nose with me for about three car lengths then exited the freeway backwards landing about 100ft out in the Almond orchard.

^ 55mph limit towing in CA today doesn't bother me one bit!!!

What is a pain are limited parking options and or camp site options. Which is one reason why the Subaru and 12ft trailer works really well. We can always find a spot we just barely fit.

CA covering big miles is an easy thing to do. I like range and not paying $100's at the gas pump to have the range.

We did 380 miles towing and 1000 miles total during our 6 day base camped coastal trip this past June. 21mpg towing average 60-70mph speeds. 29mpg non towing average exploring hiking locations, local eats etc.

I think my ideal dream rig is.
Canyon Denali diesel for the cooled seats and similar to better range. Tacohabitat, for toy garage space, and dads quick weekend escape pod/camper. And our current 4x6 Lifetime trailer for family base camp longer trips.

We do 6 day trips and bring lots if toys and camp gear. We run around 1300-1400lbs packed, not counting body weight. The Doberman typically insists on sitting between his kids, with a duffle filling the center floor space for a larger flat spot. Hes a great rear seat referee. On the trip home he saws logs in the back curled up in his bed next to

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Next to the ice box. So far 7 yrs its been our go to set up. Plenty of seating room, easy to talk to each other, pass snacks etc. My only want is more load capacity.

Shoulder season camping the tent rig isnt ideal. If we did shoulder season the 16foot double axle bunk bed livin lite and a diesel canyon with tacohabitat would be the cats meow.

Parking is a bbbbeach the width of the new full sized rigs is a no go. The 06 Sequoia is about max width for CA city use. F150 nope stays home as a dedicated 3rd wheel hardly used.

canoe4me

sprinterkitchen.jpg

For a large family a sprinter is hard to beat. It road trips like a dream, is great for camping and compared to many overland vehicles is cheap! Base model with Sprortsmobile penthouse top was under 50K. I had to build out the kitchen and lower beds but I got exactly what I wanted. The kids love it, my wife loves it.

For highway and mild dirt roads it is great.

Attachments

• sprintercamper.jpg
    sprintercamper.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 88

MOguy

Explorer
Ever seen a Flip Pac or a Wildernest? Read up on them and you will see why.

Those look like they maybe what the OP wants.

Years ago my parents had a setup like this, it would be heavier and maybe not the best idea for rougher trails.

Hard-Sided-Pop-Up-Campers-Truck.jpg

RMTWELL

Now that Sprinter looks like a good idea. Even my wife commented "Ohh, that looks nice"
With factory 4x4 Sprinters available, I'm dreaming of the next trip.
With the roof cut for the Sportmobile top, do you get alot of chassis flex? The 4x4 E350 van with the same sportmobile top I have been in flexed so much off-roading that the dome light would come on (one of the side doors sensors would think a door was open as the chassis twisted so much).

While this looks fantastic, what about something the next step more off-road trail worthy...

canoe4me

Sprinter flex?

I cannot comment on sprinter flex without the penthouse because I had the penthouse installed before I took possession of it. I have not noticed any problems with flex or vibration. The penthouse does squeak and rattle on rough roads.

The Sprinter (2012 pre USA 4X4) while fairly capable off road is not that much fun to drive on washboard for long periods. The sprinter has lots of clearance and turns really well but the suspension is not exactly tuned for off road. I have driven mine to the Saline Valley Hot springs and out to the Race Track playa in Death Valley. We have driven the Titus Canyon road multiple times. I'm not sure if that means anything to you.
I would not hesitate to drive it over rough dirt roads but I usually take it slow. It has plenty of power.

I recently purchased a '17 Tacoma and have a Habitat on order. (supposed deliver in November?) I plan to drive to Cabo over christmas with a family of five(hopefully we can leave the dog home) I can give you an update on that later. I am having a hard time getting much good info on the habitat other than the few XO overland videos that came out recently. I hope to be able to give thorough review by mid January.

sprinter titus.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I had a '97 Eurovan Camper that was awesome, except for ground clearance and Front Wheel Drive. This is without a doubt the "Swiss Army Knife" of camper-vans. Low enough to fit in parking garages, but able to unfold like a transformer. Was also very good in the sand, and river washes.

If I was to do it again, I'd find a Synco with a Subaru conversion.
Next to that would be a Taco, or Frontier with locker and a tall Work top.
Next to that would be a Ram Power Wagon with a pop up camper
Then either a Jeep WJ, or a 4Runner.
Smaller than that (including the JKU which I have), and space for family and dog is just too limited in my personal opinion.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sprinters are very bendy. A good friend had one for a few yrs. An off camber parking spot in his driveway had the rear doors 3 inches out of alignment if they were left open as he moved it to the spot.

Any van or wagon body flexes quite a bit. Even my Subaru will flex enough to jam the sunroof or even get the hatch far enough out of allignment you cant close it.

Pickups with the bed seperate from the cab handle flexing much better. Our old E250 was a beast and we were always re installing items popped loose. Had it for 18yrs 240,000. A drunk attempt to steal it was the final blow off to the junk yard.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I know two people with Flippacs, both have broken torsion bars. And the company is out of business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94