Not sure if I should replace my M8000 with a 10K winch

robert

Expedition Leader
You need the 10,000lb winch, definitely, but you need to mount it in the rear bumper and keep the front winch in place. Two is one, one is none after all.

Nah, I'd just keep what you have unless you have someone wanting to trade you or something, get some good accessories and mostly, some good instruction. If you know anyone that does heavy vehicle recovery they may be a good starting place although I've also seen some retarded tow truck operators doing some really dangerous stuff. Whatever you go with always respect the winch and the amount of energy stored in it and your vehicle. Great tools but they can be killers too.

Last edited:

projected

Adventurer
You need the 10,000lb winch, definitely, but you need to mount it in the rear bumper and keep the front winch in place. Two is one, one is none after all.

Nah, I'd just keep what you have unless you have someone wanting to trade you or something, get some good accessories and mostly, some good instruction. If you know anyone that does heavy vehicle recovery they may be a good starting place although I've also seen some retarded tow truck operators doing some really dangerous stuff. Whatever you go with always respect the winch and the amount of energy stored in it and your vehicle. Great tools but they can be killers too.

I was on a mountain shelf road just east of Albuquerque NM once and someone had stolen a Ram 1/2 ton truck, taken it for a joy ride, and then rolled it (pushed it off with no one inside) off the side of the road which was probably an 75 degree slope. The trucks decent was stopped by trees a hundred or so feet below the road. The tow truck operator was attempting a straight pull, nearly vertical, against trees and bushes that were definitely not helping the situation. All of this was being done with a frayed steel winch line, a complete audience of people (about 3 or 4 cars on each side of the tow truck that couldn't get by) within the cable "strike zone", and he was getting pissed that his tow truck kept getting pulled off the road. After an hour and a half of waiting (and watching from afar) he actually got it done with no injuries. VERY scary!

maktruk

Observer
Not surprising :)

Nice mirrors on the Frontier, I didn't know those existed! Shrock bumper is looking good as well...
Once you go tow mirrors, you'll never go back...

tow mirrors

I don't know what options you have on your mirrors, power or heat or neither...make sure you find a set with your current options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior