mapping biased towards europe

in transit Pete

as a complete newbie i have been surfing the back chats and search threads for the last month and have started to get some ideas of what i want and how i want to get it set up.

realising that this forum is more biased towards the other side of the pond i would like to know if the mapping systems are better suited to one side of the pond or not. Is there a better mapping system for the Europasian country's ??

is there any differences either side of the pond that i should take account off or would make one system or app better suited to another sort?

Gaia seams to be well received here but i see very little content from Europasian on mapping systems in comparison to the coffee drinkers over the pond, is there any differences or better suited systems to research first

1Louder

Explorer
as a complete newbie i have been surfing the back chats and search threads for the last month and have started to get some ideas of what i want and how i want to get it set up.

realising that this forum is more biased towards the other side of the pond i would like to know if the mapping systems are better suited to one side of the pond or not. Is there a better mapping system for the Europasian country's ??

is there any differences either side of the pond that i should take account off or would make one system or app better suited to another sort?

Gaia seams to be well received here but i see very little content from Europasian on mapping systems in comparison to the coffee drinkers over the pond, is there any differences or better suited systems to research first

With a Pro Subscription Gaia you can get MapBox layer which has good European maps. In the US ESRI is a huge source for data. I would try to find other mapping engines like Thundermap, HERE, MapBox etc and then see what apps use their data. Hard for us in Murica to tell since we don't have access to the Apple App Store there. Unsure about Google play visibility.

in transit Pete

thanks 1 louder,
i seem to find a huge amount of data and maps for the states and your side of the pond, but trying to decide which mapping system i require this side of the pond is a lot harder as theres not so much chat about them.

also this is my first atempt with electronic navigation as i am a road based sat nav and paper maps , where as your play ground is well documented on this forum mine i am struggling with..
poland and norway and sweden and germany are fine but its russia i want to start to travel over and we have found that most amaerician biased mapping systems dont deal to well with the old iron curtain countries

dlh62c

Explorer
For international travel, Garmin GPSs are hard to beat. A true GPS can point you to where your going, show you where your at and with tracking turned on, where you've been, all at the same time.

Garmin's Basecamp is fantastic for route planning and building up a database of your travels and those of others.

Worldwide OSM mapsets work with Garmin devices and Basecamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94