Search for a 60......what do I look for, what to avoid?

mtndude23

Observer
Did you just cut the top opening off of the 62 air filter canister? I got one of these for my 60, but was working on making an adapter plate, I wasn't sure if there was enough meat left for a hose clamp if you cut it off.

NCFJ

Adventurer
That is pretty, but the cost may be prohibitive for most who buy a LC around 5-8K

although it would be nice!

Fully understood. You might be surprised how many people are buying said $5-8K LC as the bones of a build centered around either a diesel or V8 swap. More folks every day are walking away from the new car market opting for older iron that has been updated.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Did you just cut the top opening off of the 62 air filter canister? I got one of these for my 60, but was working on making an adapter plate, I wasn't sure if there was enough meat left for a hose clamp if you cut it off.

Yes, there is just enough left to be functional

esh

Explorer
The spacer on the transmission came in during '85, so if you have any ideas to install an H55 5spd (which is a great upgrade), the newer FJ60s make it easier.

I'm a fan of the FJ62. The auto is pretty great, O/D is higher than an H55's 5th gear, great control offroad in low range, and motor revs a bit more. Still a slug, but it has more usability.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Subd...

I am wondering if a 62 is going to be a better path for me than a 100.

Just want a great older rig I can wrench on myself and get me around town and such. Slight wheeling on weekends but nothing crazy!

DCH109

Adventurer
Fully understood. You might be surprised how many people are buying said $5-8K LC as the bones of a build centered around either a diesel or V8 swap. More folks every day are walking away from the new car market opting for older iron that has been updated.

That is me! but i am skipping the V8 as i want to keep as much toyota as possible.
But you are right. Older iron has a lot to be said for it. I am tired of the you must have a new car every X years.

DCH109

Adventurer
I can wrench. But a home mechanic.
I bought a 60, this weekend I replaced my aging and old suspension. Only think i had to look up was torque specs. The rest you can see how it goes together.
The biggest thing i will will do (outside the welding of the holes in the rear quarters) is rebuild my transfer case.I have the FSM for this and I will be reading it as much as possible.

I never have had a 100. Closest thing i had would have been either the LR3 or FJ Cruiser I had. FJ Cruiser was nice, but not for me. The LR3 scared the hell out of me every day. when i worked on it (and it was not often) I was always wondering if it will cost me twice as much.
As commented by NCFJ, the simpler the better.

62's are nice if you want an automatic. if not then the 60 is as basic as it comes and you still get AC.

bdp1978

Adventurer
So...in my search for a 60 series I somehow ended up buying a 4runner. Whoops. I figure I'll be back on the 60 hunt next spring.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
So...in my search for a 60 series I somehow ended up buying a 4runner. Whoops. I figure I'll be back on the 60 hunt next spring.

Lol...

In my search I got sidetracked and ended up seeking a 100, then a locked 80, then back to a 62 hahaha...

bdp1978

Adventurer
Lol...

In my search I got sidetracked and ended up seeking a 100, then a locked 80, then back to a 62 hahaha...

Uh yeah.....this all started because I was supposed to get my wife a newer Subaru Outback to help keep miles off her lease.....******** really went off the rails somewhere.

NCFJ

Adventurer
If you are truly interested in a 60/62, no time like the present! The 60/62 series is fast becoming a star among those outside the LC fraternity. They are popping up everywhere in mass media. I am getting more and more calls from those that have never owned a LC and are looking for a 60/62. Prices have been climbing steady for two years now.

Personally, my interest in LCs stops with the 80 series. I am building out a shop 80 now (for a while) and plan a 140 or 142 next for myself. I think a 62 on 80 roller with a Vortec swap is the sweet spot for me. It'll cost me right about what a 2-3 year old up scale pick up would cost me.

zimm

Expedition Leader
unless youre you have a thing for old **** and tinkering like i do, avoid rust, and have as much GM drivetrain as possible.

other than that, there isnt much to a 60 to look at.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I think I'm gong to go 80 instead of 62.

I'm leaning heavy on an 80, looking at one tomorrow. Almost went to look at a 62 yesterday but is over my budget.
I'd love to find an absolute rust free 80, guess years 94 or 95. In NC we have emission insp in 96 and newer. I kind of wanna stay below that. Unless I'm missing something. Don't need lockers, but as close to stock would be great appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94