Whic tire is right for me?

JMyerz

Adventurer
I need a little help with tire choices, the market has changed a ton since the last time I bought an AT tire.

What I have:

2104 Ram 1500 4x4 V6
Stock Wrangler SR-A
Stock Steel Wheels

I'm looking for something to fit my lifestyle and adventures a bit more: I'm a freelance photographer, surfer, fly fisher and mountain biker. This is also my DD so I want good HWY and not suffer too big of a MPG hit. I don't run offroad trails a lot, but do deal with PNW Rain, Snow, Gravel roads and sand at times (we can drive on our beaches!).

Initially I was thinking stock size BFG AT KO2 C Rating with aluminum rims, if my calculations are correct this should keep my tire/wheel weight at the same it is now.

Any input would be great. Thank you!

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
If it were me, my decision would likely come between the KO2s or Cooper ST MAXXs. I think you are already on the right track with your current decision

JMyerz

Adventurer
Thanks everyone, I was hesitant on these thinking they might be overkill for my needs but it sounds like I'm on the right path.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thanks everyone, I was hesitant on these thinking they might be overkill for my needs but it sounds like I'm on the right path.
For a lot of what you might do they probably are, until you're looking at a 4wd tow truck from a muddy trailhead with a sliced sidewall. Then you'll forget that you get 2.73% poorer MPG and have to turn up the car stereo one click more than before. I think an aggressive AT is appropriate if you truly use your truck for having fun.

JMyerz

Adventurer
I certainly use my truck to get to my fun and I've built it out to sleep in so it's my little light weight adventure vehicle. Sometimes the roads are less than ideal, gravel w/ washboard, snow / slushy passes and some sandy roads as well. I looked at the Rugged terrain but have read a lot of negative AND they don't seem to have anything close to my size, which is too bad because their marketing led me to believe it would be the perfect tire

For a lot of what you might do they probably are, until you're looking at a 4wd tow truck from a muddy trailhead with a sliced sidewall. Then you'll forget that you get 2.73% poorer MPG and have to turn up the car stereo one click more than before. I think an aggressive AT is appropriate if you truly use your truck for having fun.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I run the KO2 on my 2015 F150. I put them on the truck when it ihad 2500 miles on it, but figure I lost less than .5 mpg. You will not regret the decision with KO2.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Based on what you've described is your usage, I would recommend going up one tire size to 275/70R17 and choosing either the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 or the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. If you wanted to trade a little bit of snow/ice traction for a heavier-duty tire with more off-road traction, then I'd recommend the Copper Discoverer ST-MAXX. You can compare these three tires here.

I wouldn't worry about the tires affecting your fuel economy all that much. Keep them properly inflated with regular rotations and you'll be fine. You'll also be very hard-pressed to feel any difference with the slightly higher weight; you're driving a truck, not a sports car, so the percent change is miniscule. Picking the right tire for your terrain is much more critical than worrying about a few pounds plus or minus versus the crappy OEM tires.

Webfoot

Observer
Another Portlander here. I have only had personal experience with one tire: the Cooper S/T Maxx, for a year and a half. They have been good for me everywhere except icy snow where they seem to have almost no grip; I've had all four tires spinning with open differentials in that condition. This season I am trying Falken A/T3W with the severe snow service emblem but I haven't had them in the snow yet. They are a new tire and priced aggressively. Another new A/T tire with the severe service emblem is the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 which appears biased toward highway performance. Both of these are only available in a SL or E load rating in most sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles