STT Pro or ST Maxx????

87Warrior

GP'er
Holy ****! Does Cooper put iron in their tire compounds because that's insanely awesome. Theoretically speaking, you could get around 85k miles out of them until they are bald
My set of the original STT went 55k miles in 315/75r16 size under my TJ. I got new tires (ST Maxx) when they hit 5/32 tread depth.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This is actually very meaningful because you have owned both. Can you tell me, did you own the older STT or the newer STT Pro? Can you give me a idea of what kind of tread life mileage you got from the ST Maxx vs the STT Pro?

Right now i have older BFG KOs. The obviously pack up in mud. Any comparison as to how the ST Maxx does compared to the original KO? Obviously the STT Pro will be better than ether of them.
I've run the old STT, the ST-Maxx, the S/T, and now have the STT-Pro (that I won here on Expo; thank you, Expo/Cooper).

The STT-Pro works the best in GA crappy clay. The ST-Maxx works better on our roads ----- but the difference isn't dramatic like the difference between a street tire and a hard mud tire.
Both the Pro and Maxx BLOW AWAY the older tires with the older rubber compound both on and off road.

Spending my money, next time it's the Maxx for me. If I could get the Pro for the same money though, I'd go Pro. The Pro is pretty sharp looking...

002_zpsrtcttpmt.jpg

I just got back from about a 5,000 mile roadtrip, btw. Only about 200 miles of it offroad, a mixture of dirt and beach. The Pro was very composed on the highway, backroads, anywhere. Absolutely no complaints.

vacation2016%20963_zps2xxtywuj.jpg

Last edited:

bijanjames

Adventurer
I've run the old STT, the ST-Maxx, the S/T, and now have the STT-Pro (that I won here on Expo; thank you, Expo/Cooper).

The STT-Pro works the best in GA crappy clay. The ST-Maxx works better on our roads ----- but the difference isn't dramatic like the difference between a street tire and a hard mud tire.
Both the Pro and Maxx BLOW AWAY the older tires with the older rubber compound both on and off road.

Spending my money, next time it's the Maxx for me. If I could get the Pro for the same money though, I'd go Pro. The Pro is pretty sharp looking...

002_zpsrtcttpmt.jpg

I just got back from about a 5,000 mile roadtrip, btw. Only about 200 miles of it offroad, a mixture of dirt and beach. The Pro was very composed on the highway, backroads, anywhere. Absolutely no complaints.

vacation2016%20963_zps2xxtywuj.jpg

Congrats on winning the tires!

poriggity

Explorer
I've got about 5000 miles on my stt pro's including an all highway trip to overland expo and back from california. The tires still look almost new. So far I am very impressed with these tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I have ran both the MAXX in 265/75/16 10 plys and the PRO's in 31x10.5x15 6 plys. Here is my review:

PRO: Great in everything except icy roads and loose gravel. Not the best highway manners, but completely daily driver friendly. excels in deep snow, mud and rocks. bottom line. Get this tire! If you live in a snowy climate..get the MAXX!
MAXX: ran down to 10psi in moab an in the mountains..no problems. very durable carcass. Great all around tire. Lacks slightly in mud, but saw the wheel back and forth to use the shoulder lugs. Excels in loose gravel and rocks. Bottom Line.......Great all around tire, good off road prowess, Must have if you live in a snowy climate.

Patrollife

Explorer
I'm running the Pros 35x12.50R15 in the Shorty. They have excellent grip. In the couple of times I've taken them on the trail I've been impressed with them, and I wheel all the time. I'll be heading to Peten in a couple of weeks where I will really get a chance to test them out in the mud. Can't wait!

5a54bca236f99bc1ccf28bc98ea20552.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01tundra

Explorer
With winter weather approaching I decided to replace my S/T Maxx's today with the exact same tire. I could have ran the old set farther, but with the potential of some ice/snow looming, I decided to pull the trigger a little early.

The old set was retired with just a little over 55k miles on them :ylsmoke:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Twice the pleasure, twice the fun

I've been so happy with the 315/70 R17 S/T Maxx on the Jeep, that I bought the exact same tire - same size for the Scout. :)

That said, I still think the ST Pro is an excellent choice for those running in muddy conditions, or those that just want the "look". :victory:

Attachments

• City-boy_Poser.jpg
    City-boy_Poser.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles