UNIMOG 404 EXPEDITION CAMPER - Price: What do you think??

leandroflaherty

Hello Expeditioners!

Over the past few years I have been building an expedition camper from a well running Unimog 404. I had plans to travel cross country with it, but I bought a sailboat and my life has taken another direction. Sad to see it go, but I can only chase one dream, its time to sell the truck.

Thing is, I have no idea what something like this truck is worth, it was a labor of love. I would love to hear the community chip in as to a ball park figure I should consider it worth.. can I get a low to high price point opinion? 10k? 15k? 20k? 100,000k :D

Thanks so much for your input!!

Here is a link to a page I made which has a walk around video, photo gallery and description of the truck: http://www.leandroflaherty.com/unimog-404-expedition-for-sale/

Thanks so much for your input!!

burquedoka

Adventurer
Several years back, you never saw 404's being sold for more than 15k. These days, it seems 15k for a clean one, like yours is the norm. With the work you've done, though maybe not to the taste of some, is quite good. It's a really clean, turn key expo 404! IMHO, I'd say shoot for somewhere between 18k and 25k. Keep in mind, you can get into a SBU for about 30k, so don't get too proud with your price. It's a nice build man, sorry you have to part ways with her.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
As nice as it is it might be a tough sell as a camper. The 404 is already notoriously slow in stock config, with not much to be done performance wise for the woefully underpowered 88hp engine, and your build looks heavy. If someone could come up with a performance engine/tranny package for these that didn't cost a small mortgage I think they could breathe some life into the 404 community. There are some swaps from Mercedes sedans that up the performance level but then the tranny becomes the weak link because it can't handle the HP/sustained speed without cooking.

I have one about at the 50% rebuilt stage and I think I'm dumping the camper box idea because of the weight issue and just go with a flatbed rock hound.

Good luck man because it does look like a nice job. Way better than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz