3-way Fridge Replacement Options?

adventr

Adventurer
I've not had my truck camper very long, but one thing that is not working out for me is the factory installed 3-way fridge. It's a great idea that I wish could be made to work for me, but I don't think that's going to be the case.
My rig is never "level" enough for it to work properly it seems. At home, my driveway is on an incline, so it doesn't work there. When camping, a spot that's perfectly acceptable to me (for sleeping and whatnot), is not "level" enough for it to work.

I can't be the only one on here having this issue, so I'm curious what everyone is doing? Seems a compressor type fridge is what I need. I have the smittybilt fridge and it works great, but it's not the right style for my camper. I'd like to find something that will directly replace the 3-way unit, and will run off of ac/dc power.

Just got back from a camping trip in which I could not use my fridge, so this subject is pretty fresh on my mind. :sombrero:

Camper is a 2009 model, so I assume the current 3-way fridge is as well.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Dometic/Waeco makes many models that would fit. Though I have no idea about a "direct swap"

Chances are you will have to do a bit of work to make a good compressor fridge fit and work correctly.

All you need to do to get things rolling is to pull out a tape measure.

I run a Waeco/Dometic CR-1065, and couldnt be happier.

Regardless, you wont regret getting rid of the old 3-way.

When you combine a good compressor fridge with a bit of solar and a decent battery bank, it is a self sufficient system.

Just a matter of purchasing the closest fitting one, and making it work :ylsmoke:

adventr

Adventurer
Dometic/Waeco makes many models that would fit. Though I have no idea about a "direct swap"

Chances are you will have to do a bit of work to make a good compressor fridge fit and work correctly.

All you need to do to get things rolling is to pull out a tape measure.

I run a Waeco/Dometic CR-1065, and couldnt be happier.

Regardless, you wont regret getting rid of the old 3-way.

When you combine a good compressor fridge with a bit of solar and a decent battery bank, it is a self sufficient system.

Just a matter of purchasing the closest fitting one, and making it work :ylsmoke:

I should have specified better, my bad. I'm not looking for a plug-n-play swap, just something that is of the same style (front loading) and close to same dimensions. I'm thinking that if I do away with the LP fridge, then I should be able to enclose the fridge area from the outside of the camper (currently it has 2 rather large vent plates there, which do allow water to come in).

Good suggestion on the Dometic stuff, didn't think to see what they offered. I'll look them up and see what might be close in size/style.

Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sure, google search the Waeco/Dometic CR-1065, its the front-loading style you want.

Dometic/Waeco makes a few different size units in the same setup.

Since installing the CR-1065, Ive been nothing short of happy, and impressed.
Super efficient, super quiet, and looks great.

chassis257.jpg

adventr

Adventurer
Sure, google search the Waeco/Dometic CR-1065, its the front-loading style you want.

Dometic/Waeco makes a few different size units in the same setup.

Since installing the CR-1065, Ive been nothing short of happy, and impressed.
Super efficient, super quiet, and looks great.

chassis257.jpg

Awesome, if I can find that model in the size that will fit mine, I'll order it tomorrow. Going to go to my storage unit in the morning and pull some measurements on the existing fridge.

bearman512

Adventurer
I don't have one yet but a friend of mine did it with the smaller one in his pop-up Starcraft 10RT. Working great he is also using a 100w solar panel.

bearman512

Adventurer
I've not had my truck camper very long, but one thing that is not working out for me is the factory installed 3-way fridge. It's a great idea that I wish could be made to work for me, but I don't think that's going to be the case.
My rig is never "level" enough for it to work properly it seems. At home, my driveway is on an incline, so it doesn't work there. When camping, a spot that's perfectly acceptable to me (for sleeping and whatnot), is not "level" enough for it to work.

I can't be the only one on here having this issue, so I'm curious what everyone is doing? Seems a compressor type fridge is what I need. I have the smittybilt fridge and it works great, but it's not the right style for my camper. I'd like to find something that will directly replace the 3-way unit, and will run off of ac/dc power.

Just got back from a camping trip in which I could not use my fridge, so this subject is pretty fresh on my mind.

Camper is a 2009 model, so I assume the current 3-way fridge is as well.

I have the same fridge in my Palomino and it works great. I do my best to level the truck but not always perfect. Mine is modified with a 12v 120mm computer fan and the thing will keep ice cream in the fridge on 100 degree days if I keep it in the shade or out of direct sunlight. Always run it on propane even traveling. You can mod a 1lb coffee can to shield the burner from excessive wind. Carry a bundle of the Camco blocks.

adventr

Adventurer
I have the same fridge in my Palomino and it works great. I do my best to level the truck but not always perfect. Mine is modified with a 12v 120mm computer fan and the thing will keep ice cream in the fridge on 100 degree days if I keep it in the shade or out of direct sunlight. Always run it on propane even traveling. You can mod a 1lb coffee can to shield the burner from excessive wind. Carry a bundle of the Camco blocks.

Interesting. Maybe i'm not giving it enough time or something? I'm fairly certain that it will not work in my driveway. Left it running on A/C power the night before we went camping and the next day it was still warm inside the fridge.

How off-level can you be and yours still function?

And how long after firing up the propane can you notice that it starts cooling? Last weekend while camping I let it run on propane for an hour or so and couldn't tell that anything was happening.

bearman512

Adventurer
On A/C and propane mine is ready in 12 or so hours I would recommend the computer fan mod and remember to keep the fridge side of the camper opposite the sun.
I don't recommend running it on 12v as it will barley maintain and suck the life from your batteries.
Go to the Pop-up Portal forum http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=78.0 This will have everything you need to get your fridge operating.

Motafinga

Adventurer
We replaced the 3 way Norcold (NOcold) in our Alaskan and couldn't be happier. We choose a Truckfridge TF130 which has waaay more inside space without taking up more than a 1/4 inch in width of the 3 way.Truckfridge has fast shipping and great customer service btw.

Motafinga

Adventurer
On A/C and propane mine is ready in 12 or so hours I would recommend the computer fan mod and remember to keep the fridge side of the camper opposite the sun.
I don't recommend running it on 12v as it will barley maintain and suck the life from your batteries.
Go to the Pop-up Portal forum http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=78.0 This will have everything you need to get your fridge operating.

fwiw the Truckfridge is cold in less than 1 hour while using about 2.5 amps DC and doesn't need to be level

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles