2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad Dobinsons Build

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm getting a late start on this.

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, bought in July, still only 1800 miles!!!

In July, we put 2.5" lift Dobinsons coils and struts up front, and the 2" Quick Ride kit in the rear with the twin tube shocks. The OE ride in the rear was smoother than our medium leaf spring (considering the truck was empty), so we pulled out the medium spring and put back the originals with our quick ride kit (spacer blocks and u-bolts) to save the on-road feel. We're designing a parabolic leaf spring instead of a standard one to compensate for the lack of weight back there and offer a better ride. Hopefully before the end of the year we will have those.
Overall it's a bit high in the front but the new bumper is going on it as we speak, so the bit more weight should bring the front back down to about 2" I'm guessing, then we can do some more tuning.

Build plans:
1. Dobinsons Suspension - still tuning and playing around with spring rates and a few bits and pieces to offer a bigger range.
2. Dobinsons front winch bumper with winch, close fit to the body, minimal cutting, and highest clearance we can get.
3. Toyota TRD Sport front hood, and will probably paint the grille to get rid of some of that bling!!
4. Dobinsons rear drawer system (will have to add tonneau cover at that point). Should have in December.
5. Need to consider some kind of sliders or steps, but it hasn't been offroad yet.
6. Future suspension could include MRR (monotube remote reservoir) shocks front and back, but we will wait and fine tune everything else first. Also working on front upper control arms, and recently got in our diff drop kit. Need to add those to lineup the CV's a bit better.

k9fLD5y.jpg

t5i5AAN.jpg

mouse007

Explorer
Awesome, can't wait to see what you guys do with it. I'm keeping my eye on your rear drawer system and fridges.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Awesome, can't wait to see what you guys do with it. I'm keeping my eye on your rear drawer system and fridges.

Thanks man, I'm excited to get them too. Probably in December. The drawers will look like this, after we trim out the side panels for it.

Drawers are available from here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ND43APC

GyspH4F.jpg

And with the 50L fridge (from a 200 series rear end). 40L are already here in stock, but will wait to add one to the Taco until the drawers come in.
J1xNZ8i.jpg

Fridges are here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWV2OGO

Last edited:

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Hey guys, we have our American made bumper on the truck now. We have decided to only offer it as bare steel. Obviously we can keep the price down if it's not painted or powdercoated, then you can do it locally and get whatever finish you want on it. It would look great color-matched to your truck too. This one is powder coated with a semi-gloss black finish. It cost $200 to have it powder coated, but we don't want to offer that service due to the extra packaging costs that would be required to protect the bumper from scratches during shipping.

Winch is mounted and tucked as much as possible. It can handle a 9500 LB winch with remote solenoid box, preferably with wireless remote (like the Dobinsons winch) so that you don't have to get all the way in there to plug it in each time.

Control box mounting is left to the customer, due to variances between winch brands, and the bumper is too thin to mount it on top. We put it behind and up above the winch for now, with the outlet tucked in near the fairlead. There is a lot of room behind the bumper where you could mount it.

Winch clutch lever is accessed by opening the hood. This was the best way for us to handle this, as opposed to adding a large hole to reach through the front or underside of the bumper. Also, if you do get stuck in the mud, the bottom of the bumper will most likely be buried, but you'll be able to reach it down through hood quite easily.

LED fog lights and LED turn signals and running lights will come with it. 20" single row or double row can be installed in the front, but it will come with a mesh grille in that hole if you choose not to install any light bar, maintaining air flow to the truck too.

Bracket system has height adjustment to set the gap to the fenders (you can raise or lower the bumper during installation). Gap needs to be set to a minimum of 3/8" for chassis and body flex.

Final weight of raw bumper on the scale without lights or any accessories is 119 LBS.

I can take orders via email (send me a PM to get my email address), or you can order off Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ9NDDS
Price is $1350 delivered (plus tax if applicable), but if you are anywhere close to Miami, please contact me to arrange a local pickup for a different price.

***Sorry for the logos, we didn't have the logo on the bumper yet.

KmFEdGQ.jpg

iYLDEOX.jpg

sNXuwGf.jpg

1a08ite.jpg

dpiFv2g.jpg

1vyyOSy.jpg

SjLqKyT.jpg

u0AowSk.jpg

36Us2fl.jpg

tTz1wpM.jpg

Qzav79I.jpg

KTZaI0m.jpg

OTTB1xp.jpg

Last edited:

Crikeymike

Adventurer
I initially had that same thought, but later realized that's just a "watermark" that was slapped on the photo. Not quite as bad as being actual stickers, but still ruins the whole photo every time.

Sorry about all the logos guys. I hate it when someone post a pic of a bumper and everyone asks "where's it from" or "who makes it", so if these get shared, we wanted to avoid that. Plus, we didn't have our logo sticker on the front yet!! haha

I had originally put them up without the logo, but then realized I took all the pics without the logo sticker on the front bumper!! So I had to think of something quick...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles