Frontier/Tacoma Suspension With Camper - What did you do? List, likes, dislikes.

Josh41

Adventurer
Looking to see what everyone did for suspension upgrades to their Tacomas and Frontiers to carry their slide-ins.
Are you happy with it? How do you use it?
I'm planning a 2" lift and want to do it right the 1st time. Interested to find out what is working and what is not.
Thanks
Josh

Vehicle: Nissan Frontier 2016 Long Wheel Base 4WD
Camper: Palomino Bronco 600
TieDowns:
  • Torklift Frame mount front
  • Bumper Buttons on rear

Dry Weight of Camper: 1003 lbs
Upgrades:
  • BFG E Rated Tires
  • Timbren SES Bump Stops

Comments: I lose about 2" in the rear when i put the camper on, the ride is a little lower in the rear. It feels good on the highway and little to no sway. The Timbrens look very compressed and there is little travel in the rear.
Use: I use the truck to transport the camper on roads and dirt roads. Then take it off for some off roading in New England. Planning 5 week cross country next summer.
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-18%20at%207.13.06%20AM_zpsel3q2h6t.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.36.50%20AM_zpsws4mu07n.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-18%20at%205.36.35%20AM_zps1x72i5jm.png

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Tacoma and four wheel camper that weighed in over 1300lbs.

The best solution was custom rear leaf springs. Deaver style spring with 10 smaller leafs. Best ride hands down if you're carrying the camper full time.

I also tried old man emu HD springs, with an add a leaf, and taller/softer timbren bumper. It was great on the road, ok off highway. But in time the timbrens compressed more and the ride got more harsh. The ride was rough with the add a leaf when the camper wasn't on board.
I've used air bags on another half ton truck and camper and they were ok, but if too much air was used the sway increased. It was a little rough off highway due to having less travel and requiring a rear sway bar to handle well.

Any time you have such a light truck and vary the load a lot, you're going to compromise somewhere. Once I had the custom springs and left the camper on it was just night and day between any other setup I used. The truck didn't buck or rock or anything when the weight was carried on the springs like the frame was designed for. Usually with air bags or timbrens you get some strange porpoising as the truck frame is stressed in a spot where it wasn't intended.

For what it's worth you CAN buy various heights and "spring rates" of the timbren bumpers, combine with spaces etc.

If you want to dig through my thread in my signature you'll see some of my trials on the tacoma and camper.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've got OME rear leafs and front coils. Bilstein set up copied from Crom on Tacoma World and also Wheelers front and rear bumps. The front bumps are great but I am curious to know what my ride would be like with Timbren bumps. A guy I've met a couple times off-roading has them and says they work great.
My camper is a quasi shell model that comes in at 575lbs unloaded. When loaded for trips it is heavier.

Josh41

Adventurer
@brianjwilson: I read through your build, awesome!!! Regarding the OME HD springs, it looks like they just hold the camper on the Timbrens, Is that what I am seeing? I added some pics above, my Timbrens are pretty much compressed all the way with stock springs when I put the camper on. If I need more support, do you know If can add AALs to the OME HD springs?

@ETAV8R: Rig looks great! That table, I saw that RC Willet lists them but no price. Where did you get yours? Have you considered a second mount for outside?

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have an FWC Eagle on my Tacoma and also an ARB front bumper w/winch and Aluminess rear w/spare carrier and deluxe box. I started with just E rated tires and airbags before I added the bumpers and even then the truck wallowed too much. I added an OME lift with heavy springs and an extra leaf in the rear and now the truck rides just fine both on and off road. I do still use the airbags a little to level the truck.

Josh41

Adventurer
I have an FWC Eagle on my Tacoma and also an ARB front bumper w/winch and Aluminess rear w/spare carrier and deluxe box. I started with just E rated tires and airbags before I added the bumpers and even then the truck wallowed too much. I added an OME lift with heavy springs and an extra leaf in the rear and now the truck rides just fine both on and off road. I do still use the airbags a little to level the truck.

Just try to understand, Heavy springs in the front and just an AAL in the rear, or did you add a leaf to the OME HD spring pack?
Thanks
Josh

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
OME heavy springs front and rear and extra leaf in rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer
Similar to the other posters here, 2016 Tacoma with Fleet Flatbed - OME Dakars in the rear with the extra leaf, air bags for fine adjustment (so far no more than 20PSI in the bags, usually 10 - 15), OME BP-51s all around. The ride so far has been quite good, and is getting better as I fine tune the BP-51 settings to the load. I may go to custom rear leaf pack at some point but for now the Dakars are working well, albeit a little squeaky.

Edit to add: camper is on full time and this is not a daily driver.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
@brianjwilson: I read through your build, awesome!!! Regarding the OME HD springs, it looks like they just hold the camper on the Timbrens, Is that what I am seeing? I added some pics above, my Timbrens are pretty much compressed all the way with stock springs when I put the camper on. If I need more support, do you know If can add AALs to the OME HD springs?

Thinking back, I installed the OME add a leaf and then I got rid of one of the lower overload springs. I did this to get more travel/better ride unloaded. The springs did hold the camper with the springs alone (in the driveway) but it say low in back and would likely have bottomed out a lot. So I ordered the taller timbrens with lower capacity to kind of "spread the load". Initially the timbrens only compressed a small amount and left over 2" of compression at ride height. Worked great. But in time they compressed a bit (and/or the springs sagged) and resulted in probably a similar ride to what you have.

Here is how the timbrens initially looked with a load. Minimal load on them when the springs were newer and the ride was good.

I know someone here who ran a tacoma and Fwc finch, with OME springs and add a leaf. It sagged. Personally I think if most of the weight is carried on the springs, air bags for small assist isn't too bad. But it is still going to be rough unloaded. Additionally the air bags normally don't have any bump stops (they replace them) so you've got to keep enough air in them to prevent bottoming out.

Last edited:

solinski

solinski
2015 Tacoma TRD , 4x4 Access cab, 6 foot bed,4.0 v6, auto. Hauling a 2004 Six Pac t100s cab-over hard-side. Camper is a semi permanent installation. "Torklift" full frame both front and rear mounted camper hold-down brackets. "Firestone" rear air suspension at 40 psi with "Rancho 9000" rear shocks set on #9. I have used this set up on fairly rough gravel roads but not full on 4x4 conditions. On secondary mountain pavement I can maintain highway speeds and can take the curves at or slightly above the posted recommended speed. So far this rig has worked well for me. I have had the Firestone air suspension on 2 trailer pulling rigs and a 3/4 ton Ford with 11.5' Alpenlite cabover camper. So far never a problem but I am a conservative/cautious driver. The Rancho 9000 seem to be the real key to a good ride. The OEM stock Bilstein shocks were unacceptable and made for a very bouncy ride with uncomfortable lean/ sway in the curves. I feel comfortable driving Interstate 5 between Redding and Mount Shasta even with semi trucks passing me or me passing them. If I have any trouble with the stock rear springs then I will upgrade. So far after one year+ of all types of driving conditions no troubles. My next test for this rig is :smiley_drive:driving the Highgrade road and Fandango Pass road though the Warner mountains. :coffeedrink:Solinski

Josh41

Adventurer
Spacers? Those of you that are using air bags with lift, did you add spacers to the air bag set up?
I have a long trip planned for February and want to get it all sorted out before then.
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94