Need some help locating a part for my Gen 3

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Heya,

When trying to pass smog with my 2003 Montero, it managed to fail pretty badly on something and I am surprised at it - it appears that a few parts have been removed at some point and never put back for some reason. Unfortunately I have been unable to really find these parts online as I don't know the right names for them or the part numbers, but my mechanic did quote about $900 for the parts alone from the dealership.

Could you help me identify the name and potentially the part numbers of the following part(s):

missing_part1.jpg
This was on the paper given.

Now when I look at my engine in that area it looks like:
missing_part2.jpg

missing_part3.jpg

Obviously there was something there and it got removed.

What it is supposed to look like (googled an imagine):
missing_part1a.jpg

Thanks!

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I couldn't access the FSM yet sadly. Fortunately I managed to find the missing parts (for a 3.8) with the help of a fellow Montero owner so hopefully it'll be an easy fix. :)

Still don't know the name of it though, heh.

Jeff V.

Observer
It's the vacuum actuator for the intake manifold butterflies. It switches the intake from long runners to short runners depending on engine RPM. On some other Mitsubishis, it was operated by a small electric motor instead of vacuum.

The parts database doesn't list it as a separate part, so that's probably why you're having a hard time finding it by itself. It's shown as part of the middle intake manifold.

evol911

Observer
Top is from a 1994 SR, bottom is 2003 Limited

Mounting hole pattern is different but you might be able to make it work to pass emissions.

Gen 3

Gen 2

Edit: Just noticed you found the parts. I'll leave this info up for future reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94