Roof escape hatches.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
A hatch over the bed is never a good idea, as one day it will leak, just a leaf or two in the seal and you have a wet bed. We have Vetis Marine hatches, not over the bed but they have leaked a bit on occasion.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Never had a leaky marine hatch on any of the racing boats, even under a few ft of water. But plenty of wet gear and sails dumped in my bunk.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A hatch over the bed is never a good idea, as one day it will leak, just a leaf or two in the seal and you have a wet bed. We have Vetis Marine hatches, not over the bed but they have leaked a bit on occasion.

A leak is one thing, condensation is another.

A quality marine hatch will not leak, but it will condense moisture, which is just as bad as a leak, especially when it is over your bed.

I like Bomar hatches.

here is a shot of the one used on my personal camper, during construction...

For placement, it is located right above the step that provides access to the camper cab-over.
It is located on a slope, to minimize snow buildup, as well as be a bit more difficult to snag on trees.
It is sized just large enough to use as an escape hatch, and I use it regularly to clean the roof mounted solar panels.

chassis274.jpg

chassis271.jpg

Amertek Rob

Observer
I have purchased Taylor made marine hatches for my build, I liked them for the tempered glass over the lexan style, but if i was worried about security I may have gone lexan/plastic but I figure if someone wants in they will get in either way, an I have glass windows to break into. I guess its a personal preference, the European fiberglass and dual glazed units just weren't in the budget for me

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The Vetis Marine hatches we have are certified waterproof to 5m depth, and no doubt they are when the seals don't have small sticks or leaves in the them. We can even leave them in the second lock position which has a small gap for ventilation if the seals are clean. The reality of traveling with a high camper is that leaves and sticks build up on the leading edge of the hatch, and when you open it, some will find their way into the seal, and if you close one with a stick, it will leak. It doesn't matter how good a quality hatch you have, the seal needs to be clean and unless you are very careful each time you close it, it will leak if it rains especially in string winds. Friends of ours with a very expensive boat (+$1M) have a very high quality double glazed hatch over the bed, and it has leaked a couple of time, and sticks or leaves were always the culprit. It only takes one.

Best way to stop condensation is through proper ventilation. We have had no problems, only been in 2-4 Deg C weather, but it was also raining continually. Four almost silent computer fans suck air in from outside through an air filter, air flow is through two Silcencio II heaters. If you have adequate air flow, you would get the condensation build up.

A hatch over the bed will leak on day, that's why all the experienced builders say don't do it.

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
I'm not doubting the potential for leaks or condensation at all. I just know that I want one over the bed because I want to be able to look at the sky while laying in bed and I want air flow across the bed.

javajoe79

Fabricator
My other option is to fabricate one from aluminum just like the rest of the camper but then I don't have the glass to see through. I have also considered having another insulated glass panel made like I did for the side portal windows. If I fabbed the framework for it in such a way as to glue the glass on top of it and fab a trim piece that will cap it off and allow it to be sealed additionally, it would be pretty hard for it to leak.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
I've put 7 Bomars in my vehicles - 3 in my boat, 1 in the truck cab as a photo hatch and two in the camper roof - all 24" by 24" so big enough get to in & out easily. Also 1 in my old Alaskan ( a salvaged 4ft x 3ft). All ebay used finds. Never had a leak in any of them but I installed them correctly. Three were mounted above the bed and all had some condensation with rainy weather or more typically from the interior moist air freezing on the lens over night & melting as the cabin warmed. My solution when I couldn't get enough ventilation was to put an insulated mat on top of the screen - which both minimized the condensation and soaked up what moisture there was. The mat also has a reflective side so to minimize heat gain from having a window on your roof... It's important to dry everything out at some point in the trip of course, but you have to do that anyway. All in all the advantages far out way the negatives. Nothing like star gazing with binos from a warm cabin...The single best thing though is the ventilation those big hatches allow - if you have two, mount them with the openings in opposite directions - that way one scoops the air in & the other sucks it out through a low pressure (venturi) effect. You can also pop up there to adjust your solar panels to the optimum angle. Highly recommended, Moe

Stick with Bomars or Lewmars as they have screens, finish rings & parts available.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've put 7 Bomars in my vehicles - 3 in my boat, 1 in the truck cab as a photo hatch and two in the camper roof - all 24" by 24" so big enough get to in & out easily. Also 1 in my old Alaskan ( a salvaged 4ft x 3ft). All ebay used finds. Never had a leak in any of them but I installed them correctly. Three were mounted above the bed and all had some condensation with rainy weather or more typically from the interior moist air freezing on the lens over night & melting as the cabin warmed. My solution when I couldn't get enough ventilation was to put an insulated mat on top of the screen - which both minimized the condensation and soaked up what moisture there was. The mat also has a reflective side so to minimize heat gain from having a window on your roof... It's important to dry everything out at some point in the trip of course, but you have to do that anyway. All in all the advantages far out way the negatives. Nothing like star gazing with binos from a warm cabin...The single best thing though is the ventilation those big hatches allow - if you have two, mount them with the openings in opposite directions - that way one scoops the air in & the other sucks it out through a low pressure (venturi) effect. You can also pop up there to adjust your solar panels to the optimum angle. Highly recommended, Moe

Stick with Bomars or Lewmars as they have screens, finish rings & parts available.

Check out wind scoops for boat hatches. ;-) very simple and great option for hot locations.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I have a couple of Lewmar Ocean hatches in my truck and the condensation is minimal. I've had no condensation on the glass (plastic), only on the aluminium frame. I do not recall it ever being bad enough to cause drips. I also have a couple of single pane glass hatches of the coach/bus type, and these drip a lot in cold weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94