Roof escape hatches.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I am looking for a large roof escape hatch, preferably with a clear lid. I found pics of one by Heki but I read that they are not reliable and break plus the pricetag is pretty high. I don't mind the high price if it will be durable. What do you folks recommend?

Choff

Adventurer
I am looking for a large roof escape hatch, preferably with a clear lid. I found pics of one by Heki but I read that they are not reliable and break plus the pricetag is pretty high. I don't mind the high price if it will be durable. What do you folks recommend?

Look into hatches for boats, lots on line and some with sceens also., can be expensive but made to withstand a lot !!!

Darwin

Explorer
I have a Heki, don't buy one.

Outbound windows are an option, other wise see whats available in the marine industry.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Only downside of the marine hatches is that they are not available double glazed to reduce condensation and dripping. I would recommend not putting one over the bed for that reason.

Anyone know of a double glazed marine hatch?

Choff

Adventurer
TOOK ABOUT 5 MIN AND FOUND A FEW THAT MAKE HATCHES FOR MARINE APPLICATIONS WITH DOUBLE GLAZING.
They are out their

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Cool - hadn't found any - can you suggest a brand or link to any? The nice thing also about marine hatches is that they are usually very low profile.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Never had condensation dripping off a boat hatch but plenty of other things were soaked and damp.

A large boat hatch is my want in a fwc over the bunk.
My thought, easy warm weather air flow, yes they have screens and even nice shades. You can also place insulated fitted covers over them in winter.

Best part? High vantage point to pop up and check camp status without being overly obvious.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Yes - The one link is for a dutch company and the other is British unfortunately.

The amount of condensation depends a lot on if/how you heat the camper and the relative humidity levels. People in a small space produce a lot of moisture. Up here in the Pacific North Wet dripping condensation happens all the time.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Fwiw, You might check out Schoolbus suppliers. Or a breakers yard if you dont mind the icky-factor...

I've tried to get a schoolbus hatch before and had a hard time finding anyone who would sell me just one hatch "retail". I want it for a sprinter roof so it needs to be a flat mount type.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I am leaning towards a clear boat hatch. Possible 2 of them side by side above the bed. The prices on those double glazed marine units that are as big as two standard marine hatches are really high!!

We will have a roof vent fan on the high part of the ceiling too so hopefully that will help cut down on condensation. Also we will have hydronic heat so that helps too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz