Badsector's Gen2 Tundra Build - 2010 Rock Warrior DC

badsector

It's time to build my stock 2010 rock warrior into a camping/expedition rig suitable for the family. Right now, I'm planning to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'm on the east coast, and most of the land is held privately. What little is run by the state/national park services tend to be very restrictive when it comes to driving off road. I'd love to setup the truck for more serious offroading, but for now I'll spend my money towards making the family comfortable while traveling, and worry about the 4x4 components later as I see a need.

As the truck sits now, it is stock except I did install the TRD dual exhaust system.

Current build plan:
Camper Shell
Awning
Rooftop tent
Winch / bumper
Suspension lift (2-3")

I wanted to wait and select tires last, but my original BFG's were getting bare, so I picked up some Cooper ST/Maxx 285/70r17. I'm keeping my original rock warrior wheels... love the look of them more than anything I've seen in the aftermarket.

Cooper_ST-Maxx_Installed.jpg
Cooper_ST-Maxx_Installed-front.jpg
Cooper_ST-Maxx_Installed-rear.jpg

badsector

I ordered a ARE CX series camper shell to sit on the bed... since the camper shell had a free carpeting special.. I decide to match the bed by ordering a bedrug. This is my first bedrug and so far love it. The padding it provides is fantastic on my knees!

bedrug-box.JPG
barebed.JPG
bedrug-padding.JPG
bedrug.jpg

badsector

Camper shell installed. I ordered the ARE CX Series with vented windoors and yakima rack tracks. The factory sent a shell without yakima tracks and regular windoors (no sliding window). This was the fault of the factory, as the dealer invoice had the right options clearly stated. In the end, my dealer took care of me, ordered the rack system and correct windows and installed them w/o any additional charges.

I had the dealer hard wire the 12v power outlet and add an override switch at the back so I can turn the 12v on/off from the rear as needed.

camper.jpg
camper6.jpg
camper7.jpg
camper8.jpg
camper11.jpg
camper10.jpg

Last edited:

badsector

Smittybilt Roof top tent/annex, Foxwing Awning, and Tagalong Tent ordered. The RTT is for the kids (or myself when solo), the wife and I otherwise sleep in the tagalong tent that attaches to the awning.

Dakota approves of the awning, couldn't keep her away from the box.. a real ham for the camera.

foxwing-dakota.JPG

badsector

I usually don't have good luck on ebay as far as getting a really good deal, but last weekend I decided to check for a winch and jumped on a Warn Zeon 10-S for $900 w/free shipping. If you've seen em cheaper, I don't want to hear about it!

It arrived last night.

warn-zeon-10s.jpg

badsector

Some pics of the tent /awning setup at Overland Expo East. Worked out great! That weekend had constant rain one day, and gusty winds the next... the awning and tents kept the family dry and sheltered without any issues.

IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg
P1030777.jpg
P1030780.jpg
P1040121.jpg
IMG_1383.jpg
IMG_1384.JPG

Last edited:

badsector

Very nice so far. I really like your tent/awning set up What are you thinking for your lift?

Thanks! I'm really struggling with the lift decison. I've been bouncing around between OME 613/614, Bilstein 6112s, and Toytec BOSS for the front. Not sure yet which one I want. In the back, I'm thinking about just some longer leaf spring shackles to maintain factory rake after lifting the front. I have an order with Demello Offroad for their Tundra winch mount.. it maintains a factory look and weighs in less than the ExpOne bumper I was going to order. The Demello winch mount also cost about 1k less than the expedition one bumper, which I'll divert into a differential upgrade (eaton elocker or arb lockers or something).

Last edited:

chaingangster

Observer
Nice truck... Quick question on it's family carrying abilities: I have basically the first gen version of your truck (Tundra Access Cab 4x4 - even the same color haha) that has a pretty small back bench seat. Our two kids currently ride back there in their carseats, and its OK for now, but we've been looking at 2nd gen Tundras like yours. How is it carrying your kids? The full four door version (Crewmax?)has a huge backseat at the expense of a full size bed - not really an option for us. How's the Doublecab for them? Thanks!

badsector

Nothing compares to the crewmax tundra, it's ludicrous. My kids are 8 & 10... I think they have plenty of room. They've never complained about it even on long drives (6hrs), and they are used to a lot more room in the wife's 2016 honda pilot in which they enjoy their own captains chairs. I think it will be enough for them well into the teens. I'm 6'1" and usually drive with my seat moved forward 1-2" from its furthest back position. If you do want to take trips tho, I highly recommend some sort of cover on the bed (shell or tonneau cover), to store gear, bags, etc from the rain/elements. The DC does get crowded quickly if you have bags you don't want to get wet.

Last edited:

chaingangster

Observer
Excellent, thanks for your feedback. Definitely love having a shell on as well. The goal for our next truck is carrying a pop-up camper ie FWC or ATC. A second gen Tundra DC appeals to me due to a reasonable seeming backseat for the kids and a full-length bed to haul a FWC Hawk or similar. Thanks!

badsector

I've been looking at Expedition One bumpers for several years... it was time to pull the trigger and Expedition One did not disappoint. They packed it extremely well and Saia delivered it to me without a single scratch on the box. As a bonus, I got to spend some quality time wrenching with my son!

IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg
IMG_1814.jpg
IMG_1815.jpg
IMG_1816.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1818.jpg

rruff

Explorer
Thanks! I'm really struggling with the lift decison. I've been bouncing around between OME 613/614, Bilstein 6112s, and Toytec BOSS for the front.

I wouldn't go above 2.5" with a strut lift, and guys are getting ~3.5" with OME 613s even with a heavy bumper. I'd go with 612s if you like OME, but I think 6112s are the best bet. At the top setting you should get ~2" of lift, same as the TRD Pros. Toytec Boss seems overpriced to me, for a shock that is clearly inferior to the 6112. If you really want a threaded preload adjuster, Fat Bob's coilovers are decent for the money ($500).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles