Front bumper for an 86 4X4 pickup

MOguy

Explorer
My son got an 86 4X4 pickup a few months back. It is in great shape but the stock front bumper is pretty wimpy. I am looking for a simple bumper that is more substantial then the stock one. I do searches and the ones I find are more elaborate and money then I am willing to spend.

Any suggestions?

HotNotch

Most cost effective is to build one.I built the one below for way less than you could buy one. But I had a welder and tools to build it already. I've also seen a guy on Yotatech pull the factory bumper off and weld quite a bit of bracing behind the bumper. Looked pretty beefy and still looked somewhat factory. Should be able to find it if you do a search. That or find a used one on craigslist

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Tube bumper from TG is probably your best option of a cheap ready to go bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Most cost effective is to build one.I built the one below for way less than you could buy one. But I had a welder and tools to build it already. I've also seen a guy on Yotatech pull the factory bumper off and weld quite a bit of bracing behind the bumper. Looked pretty beefy and still looked somewhat factory. Should be able to find it if you do a search. That or find a used one on craigslist

How far are you from Fort Leonard Wood Missouri and how much to build another one?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
A lot of work goes into a plate bumper so the price reflects it. It probably cost you more to have a DIY guy build you one than to buy a production bumper.
I good plate bumper is gonna run you alteast 600 and up

screwball48

Explorer
Craigslist is you best bet. Keep an eye open for a used bumper or a truck that is being parted out. The TJM bumper for that generation looks really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior