La Casa Lata

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
The Tin Can House.

We picked up this teardrop trailer from the TnTTT forum and drove out to Kettleman City, CA to get it. What a deal! The entire thing is homemade on a 1.5" steel box frame - stout enough for the type of trails I'll pull it down. There's a battery up front with solar power (40 watt folding panel) and a shore power charger/input.

backing in.jpgbattery box.jpgDoor view.jpg

The previous owner refinished the interior in 2012 using cedar liner planks. He also insulated between the walls. The trailer is Lucy the Adventure Dawg approved.

IMG_3429.JPGinterior.jpg

It's neat and light. The rear galley will need to be redone since I want to make it fit my fridge on a slide and swap the basket drawers for solid drawers. Frankie demands high quality dog treat storage. I do like the aluminum countertop and mason jar storage.

countertop.jpggalley.jpg

It has a single interior LED light, fantastic fan, porch light and galley light. It's basic and should be able to do everything we need, which is mainly making setting up at camp a breeze, a cozy bed/shelter and get stuff out of the Jeep to give the dogs space (or bring friends with us). I'll likely put together another modular shower system to hang off the side, but other than that, it'll be a very slow build.

Coming up...rubberized white roof seal and airstream style polishing.

SWbySWesty

IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
Coming along. Never ever use spray sealant like the previous owner. It is apparently a ***** to get off.

SWbySWesty

I got the first two coats of new roofing applied. It'll need a few more coats, but it'll be able to withstand soggy beach mornings around here!
roof.jpg

dusty122

Adventurer
Dragged the trailer out to some hot springs behind Santa Barbara a few weekends ago!
View attachment 376839

The trailer looks awesome. How was the road down to the hotsprings? I haven't been down there in a year or so. Middle ynez campground is one of my favorite places to take my teardrop. Its close to home but feels like a million miles away.

SWbySWesty

They regraded everything recently due to the latest fire. The road is easily passable by car.
On a fun note - they also just reopened West Camino Cielo and I think the backside of Refugio Road is open. That's a fun trek out to wine country coming from SB or Ventura. I usually go up Refugio Road from Santa Ynez to West Camino and run the ridge the whole way over. It takes forever, but it's beautiful and more dirt road!

SWbySWesty

Off she goes to the welder. She's getting a tongue extension, lock n roll hitch and then I'll add my moto rack which also doubles as a cargo/firewood rack.
Trailer.jpg

azscotts

Observer
Nice! That's what I am doing with my build (using a trailer side receiver and removable lock-n-roll hitch). Would like to know your impressions of going that route after a trip or two - anything you might change, etc.

SWbySWesty

Will do. I'm taking it out to American Adventurist's Desert Rendezvous next weekend. I do plan to add a motorcycle/firewood rack up front as well.

SWbySWesty

We went camping locally to a new spot on Figueroa Mountain outside of Santa Ynez, CA. It rained a bit, but everything stayed dry, which was a good test of the new roof sealant! I'm very satisfied with the new tongue and it's the perfect length so I can still get in/out of the Jeep cargo area without unhitching.

camp.JPGIMG_4165.JPGFire.JPGReturn.JPG

Next up: Motorcycle carrier or galley redesign. Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior