Bed Drawer Storage Solutions for Wet Gear in a Tacoma?? Recs?

I3erto

I have looked through tons of threads and products and can't seem to find what I want (Decked seems to be closest but doesn't make a Tacoma model). I spend most of my time in the outdoors doing things in the ocean, river, or snow and as a result my gear is always wet (waders, wetsuit, snowboard, speargun, etc..). I love the idea of having a built in drawer system also serves as a sleeping platform in a Tacoma bed, but can't seem to find a manufacturer or anyone on here that has built one. Lots of really pretty wood work and outdoor carpet but nothing it seems a bunch of wet gear. Currently the best solution I have come up with is a simple platform with rubber bins below. Does anyone know of something better? Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Easy. All manner of plastic totes in long flat rectangular shapes, especially around the holidays and 'spring cleaning' time. Use those as your drawers or drawer liners. Things like Rubbermaid or Sterlite designs intended for under-bed storage or storage of wrapping papers. Some of them even come with built-in wheels.

underbed-storage.jpg

Then surface your deck with rubber matting, many types, the coin-surfaced type was just showcased in a fresh build, it's very nice.

As for the woodwork, well that's easy to have and to waterproof against casual contact with wet gear. A smart build on what is exposed, how water is shed or not trapped, and good applications of a polyurethane coating(s). You build your system with some of the same principals in designing a proper roof, such that water is shed and kept away from raw wood or from plywood edges.

/I'm amused at your dismissive tone re wood for your uses. It's workable with the proper techniques of both design and sealing. But you go right ahead trying to find a ready-made niche product for your specific vehicle. And being required to pay a high price for it. Go you.

robert

Expedition Leader
You're overthinking this. I toss my wet gear in a Rubbermaid tote or in the kayak if I'm carrying it. The mesh cockpit covers are nice for this purpose. Besides, it's not like you are going to leave it stored wet, at least I don't since I don't want it to get mildewed or otherwise funky. Whenever I'm done for the day and get to wherever I'm going I set it all out to dry i.e. hang my shorty, pfd, or waders, put throw bags and straps on top of the truck/picnic table/hang from tree limbs, etc.

Wood or metal drawers really aren't an issue either- what would make them waterproof? Simple, have them sprayed with bedliner or roll your own i.e. Monstaliner. It adds a little weight sure, but it doesn't need to be laid on as thick as it does in a truck bed. You could go to the trouble to sew some coated fabric liners but that's too much like work IMHO .

When I was in college and poorer than I am now, after rafting or kayaking we'd toss a tarp down, change and just roll everything up in the tarp or toss it in plastic trash bags. Here's the fancy version of that made by NRS (good stuff if you're not familiar with them) http://www.nrs.com/product/3076/nrs-quick-change-mesh-duffel-bag I still use heavy duty yard-trash style bags for bagging stuff in dusty environments since the camper shell leaks dust no matter how you try to seal it or when tossing things in the cargo box (added safety in case the box were to leak while driving in rain) and I keep a couple of spares in my bed cubbies.

whwv

Observer
Easy. All manner of plastic totes in long flat rectangular shapes, especially around the holidays and 'spring cleaning' time. Use those as your drawers or drawer liners. Things like Rubbermaid or Sterlite designs intended for under-bed storage or storage of wrapping papers. Some of them even come with built-in wheels.

underbed-storage.jpg

That's exactly what I use when I'm in two person mode. Super simple. Bed platform is a piece of plywood which sits on two 2x6 planks (shown here). For storage, I use a sterlite under bed storage like the one shown above. I have a loop of cord which serves as a handle since I keep them against the front of the bed by the cab. This makes it easy to pull them out.

IMG_2241.jpg

For surf trips, I just use a rubbermade tote for wetsuit and booties as I can flush everything in the tote.

Single person mode, I don't even bother with the bed platform. I just toss the air mattress in the bed and use a Yakima sky box for storage. This gives me plenty of head room for sleeping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke