4 wheel camper Hawk flatbed

Hi all, I enjoy looking and reading all of your posts. Here is my Hawk flatbed, my wife and I are living full time in it and are day 80 on the road.IMG_8378 5.jpgIMG_9130 14.jpgIMG_2555.jpgIMG_2562.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8378 5.jpg
    IMG_8378 5.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 146

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Nice rig, but I may be a little biased since it is very similar to mine. I assume that is a Canadian truck to get the Ram hood ornament on it or did you get that elsewhere. Where do you keep your spare? Did you fit it up under the frame in the stock location?

Hi, the hood ornament was bought off Amazon, and a 3D printer was used to make a mount. I am carrying my full size spare underneath, it just fits. Lets see a picture of your truck.

I checked your rig out. You guys went through Mario at AT overland I guess. I met him this past august in PA at the east coast rally when I was doing ours. Were on vancouver island now touring around, after coming out of Akaska. The flatbed is from Alumline. Our truck is a 2005. So far the camper has done well, its a transition for sure going full-time living in it.

Durango

Adventurer
Congratulations on the 80 day long trip! I'm envious. Sioux and I have had our 2015 flatbed hawk for a year now. Enjoy it very much. I don't think I'd full-time in anything any smaller! :)
20151023_094017 (1).jpg

Red Crow

I have been looking at FWC for a few years. I really like the flatbed concept. My girlfriend and I are contemplating doing the full timer thing once we retire. I look forward to seeing how others fare. Congratulations on a nice rig.

XPTom

If that truck used to be red, then I believe I saw mile zero of your trip in West Chester. Nice build..... you did a lot of things right.... Your flatbed has a lot more floor in the floor plan than my conventional slide in has between the wheel wells

Last edited:
Thats correct, it was red. I did not like the color of the truck, but purchased it specifically for the camper build. We did a vinyl wrap on it. Yes we did start in West chester from mainline overland.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
What bike rack are you using and did you need to extend it to get it out behind the camper? We've got a Yakima Swing Daddy that supports the bikes from the top tube and swings out to the side. Way too much flexibility in the system for longer trips. It's great for a short run on paved roads but I'd like to get a better set up for longer trips with some rougher roads involved. So far we've used it behind the Jeep, or behind the Adventure trailer. I'm looking for a solution similar to yours for the truck.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I was in search for a robust bike rack a few years ago and ended up with the one from 1upusa. I was tired of my bikes getting hammered against each other with my Yakima rack. It may fit your needs, you may need an extension to clear the camper.

Hi, its a yakima hitch mount rack, probably 6 years old, i just bought a hitch extension maybe 6 inches and it works great and gives just enough clearance and stability. 13000 miles and no issues yet, and lots of dirt roads, bumpy gravel roads.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I was in search for a robust bike rack a few years ago and ended up with the one from 1upusa. I was tired of my bikes getting hammered against each other with my Yakima rack. It may fit your needs, you may need an extension to clear the camper.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just saw a write up on those in Overland Journal too. Looks pretty bomb proof.
-
Hi, its a yakima hitch mount rack, probably 6 years old, i just bought a hitch extension maybe 6 inches and it works great and gives just enough clearance and stability. 13000 miles and no issues yet, and lots of dirt roads, bumpy gravel roads.

Thanks for the feedback. Time to go shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke