fitting Your ARB Transit Bag

67cj5

Man On a Mission
G'day Folks, Well as much as I enjoy looking at my ARB 47L / 50Q the time come to fit the Transit Bag, Be it against my desires but it makes sense because I bought it when I bought the fridge and I want to keep my Fridge looking like the day I unpacked it.

First thing I noticed is what an over thought out thing they are :coffee: A great Idea but here are some of the brick walls I come up against and I hope any of you folks thinking about buying the transit bag copy this page and save it in some way so when you come to fit yours it will be a breeze and you won't damage your Investment.

First thing I hit was once I the fridge in to the base of the bag is that I tried to locate the metal clips that side in to slots on the fridge and when I did they started to mark my fridge :violent-smiley-031: And not one of them would slide in to place smoothly, So After a few righteous Caveman Expletives I decided to take a closer look, And I found that these clips are just stamped out and bent to suit,, So Before you try and fit your transit bag grab your self one of those Diamond Sharpening stones and De-Bur all the edges and radius then so they are smooth all around, Don't go removing big lumps of metal just make em smooooth.

Now sit your fridge in the base of the bag sit tight against the rear of the bag and push the "2" Clips High in to their slots, The go to the front of the fridge and pull the sides as tight forward as you can securing one side with the Velcro strip at the top and then secure the rest of the Velcro that runs down the front corner, Then slot in that front clip high up on that side and then do the same on the other side. Once you have done that, Fold back one side of the bag and put the Velcro in the right place on to the piece of Velcro that is stitched to the bag and then peel off the piece of tape cover the 1st piece of Velcro and pull the bag UP and Forward as you stick it to the fridge and repeat on the 2nd piece and then do the other side, then re-adjust the Velcro that runs down each corner pulling the side part up and forward whilst pulling the front cover tight and that's that.

The 2nd thing you must watch out for is how the Lid Cover fits, Yours might be fine but the one I got was A Son of a Revenuer, putting it politely. Anyways I did a Dry run and the first thing I noticed was there is a piece of Clear Plastic that goes under the front lip of the lid, Now that's all very fine but mine looked like it had been cut with a Chainsaw, "Truly" I am not joking and not only that it covered the Seal partly " Not " Impressed, anyways I moved it in to a better position and tried to close the lid, Major problem being it took about 10X the pressure to close the Latch So I opened it up again to have a look see and who ever did the sewing made the plastic piece to narrow by about 1/4 of an inch which was pulling the edges of the Cover under the edge of the lid, So the catch was having to Crush the Material in order to lock which means the fridge is not sealing properly and will not stay cold.

I thought about this and because it was so rough looking I decide to Cut the stitching and remove the Offending party, then I fitted all the factory Velcro along the sides and Rear, Now to fix the front Flap and stop it flapping about I used some Aircraft Grade 1 and a 1/2 inch Heavy Duty double sided tape, On the Raised part at the front I used a piece about 8" long going from left to right placing it about 1/2" from the leading edge of the lid and where the 2 recessed edges are ( One Each Side ) I ran 2... 6" pieces front to back starting about 1/2" from the leading edge again, Before you stick the front down make sure the sides and rear are all in place and then at the front grab the middle of the panel and pull it up and forward then push it down it to place keeping the forward tension while making sure that it is well and truly stuck all over that piece of Tape and then do the same to each front corner making sure that the edge of the cover fits snug to the raised part of the lid, As for that string/Cord I just run it on the outside of the hinge just feeding it under the edge of the hinge and NOT under the lid because that too messes with the seal.

All this fooling around took me about an hour or so, But you must do those clips or they will eat in to the side of your fridge if you try to fit them without smoothing them first, One other thing I did that I feel is important was cut strips of tool box liner with double sided tape attached to those metal clips so it covers the main flat part and comes up about 1/8" around the 90* Bend just to stop the Metal Clip and the metal Rivet rubbing a hole in my fridge through Vibration.

Anyways I hope this helps.

J.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Sounds like you had a rough time.

I honestly did not have any issues with the cover for my 63QT ARB. I installed it quite literally on the side of the road in about five minutes flat, without the instructions. The metal clips took some force to secure properly, but they didn't have any of the burrs yours did. Luck of the draw?

Yeah mine was impossible to push the clips in to their locations but when I smoothed them off they were firm but smooth to push in place, Now the cover fits tight with no sagging anywhere so all is well, but all in all It fits well and is protected, It's a shame to have to put a cover on them but they are a big investment and the cover does offer some cheap ? insurance.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The protection is great. I love the cover for that. I used my fridge on a single 4-5 day trip before the cover arrived and the huge amounts of the fridge's plastic got ground away from things touching the fridge. Going to be repainting/fixing that soon. Cover would have completely saved it.[/QUO TE]

Sorry to hear that, but the up side is that they can ID the correct colour and match it perfectly, The more I see the cover on it the more it makes sense. I like the fact that it still allows full access to the control panel and the way I fitted it there are no gaps around the lid area and the edge of the lid cover goes just of the edge of the lower cover so it does not allow warn air to get between the cover and the fridge and vice versa. all up I am impressed.

J

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I think your over thinking this. 5 min no directions necessary.

No not really, If the Clips won't go in to the slots and when you try to force them and they damage the finish of the fridge then that defeats the whole reason for buying the cover in the first place, Yes I could of hammered them in place but at what price ? Plain and simple no matter how hard I tried my cover would not fit as intended.

TwinStick

Explorer
Mine were SOB's as well. I actually had to use a hammer & a piece of wood to properly seat mine. But it works great & glad I got both covers for free.

Maybe thats why they were free ? Factory 2nds ?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Mine were SOB's as well. I actually had to use a hammer & a piece of wood to properly seat mine. But it works great & glad I got both covers for free.

Maybe thats why they were free ? Factory 2nds ?
Sound like they all came from the same batch, I am really impressed with the whole fridge package, But those clips were a nightmare, Now they are a Snug/Firm fit and they can be removed for cleaning purposes which is handy, And When I order the larger model I know what to avoid, But all in all I think they are the best of the best and the temperature is within 0.1*c +/- so I am very happy about that.

tarditi

Explorer
I'm in the "I had no issues" camp - took less than 10 minutes, but I certainly wasn't timing it.
I have left it on for over 1.5 years - never remove it.

I also leave it plugged into the wall on the back porch for adult beverages when I'm not adventuring. Best. Camping. Investment.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah I think they are the best Fridge-Freezers on the market, I wanted the Engel but over here they tried to sell me the older model with the Rotary Temp control unlike the modernized version with the Digital display along with the fact the importer / Sales company would not answer their phones, But I knew the ARB was better designed with features that all the others have started to copy, But the thing that stuck in my mind is the fact that they were designed and Built for the sole purpose of Off Roading which is something that ARB know something about, and they come from my home land so I know what they to endure. So the choice was easy.

FAMILY_OF_SIX

Explorers
Glad we found this thread. We have been pondering about getting the canvas cover for our 50qt. We see from a few of you that you like the additional protection that it has offered. Good. That's answered then.

We would like to pose a couple of more questions.

Have any of you notice a considerable benefit from the canvas cover in keeping the interior cooler?
Does it also reduce the "run time" of the fridge motor?

Thanks for your time.
Aleshka & Peyre

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Glad we found this thread. We have been pondering about getting the canvas cover for our 50qt. We see from a few of you that you like the additional protection that it has offered. Good. That's answered then.

Have any of you notice a considerable benefit from the canvas cover in keeping the interior cooler?

Thanks for your time.
Aleshka & Peyre

Yeah I think it helps with the Run Times, I am retesting mine right Now, So I will have an Answer for you later Today,

Hope this helps,

j

67cj5

Man On a Mission

Thanks for your time.
Aleshka & Peyre

Ok, I tested it all day with nothing inside my ARB 47L and the Cover does help a lot I did the maths and it has so far worked out that the time On and time Off ratio has gone down which means it will use a lot less power per 24hr period and where the factory claims 0.87 A/h over the 24 hr period it works out to be a lot less, So the Answer is yes the cover is well worth the extra cash, Hope this helps.

If you want the figures I will post them. Ok.

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior