Improving Chevy Silverado 3500HD camper

Pinkpanther

Hello everybody,

Because I'm new here, I'd first like to give some short information about me and my truck.

My Name is Urs, I'm from Switzerland. Unfortunately English is not my native language, so I hope you forgive me all my mistakes.

For some years I've been dreaming about my own camper, but here in Europe it was hard to find an appropriate and affordable truck for my needs. I was then told about the US-trucks..to make a long story short: Back in 2012 I then bought a 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT, single cab, SRW, 6l Vortec, snow plow package.
In the past few years, after some work on it, here the result:
20151108_154648.jpg20151108_154459.jpg
The tires are slightly wider, 275/70 R18 instead of 265/70 R18, that just because the stock size isn't availlable here, not really worth mentioning it. The rest of the truck itself (suspension, drivetrain, frame...) is still stock. Fully loaded for the hollydays it now weights roundabout 10200 lbs, Axle weight estimated 4000/6200lbs front/rear. The truck GVWR: 10700 lbs, GAWR front/rear 5600/7050 lbs.

My camper is still far away from beeing finished, especially inside it needs a lot of work (most optical improvements) but despite that, I've been using it during the last year for a few trips. Despite the weight and size I am amazed how well it performs both onroad and offroad. Of course it is far away from a rockcrawler but that was never the designated target.

Even if I am very happy with my camper there are still some things I'd like to improve. First of all the suspension. On highways it works great, not to hard, not to soft. Also on paved mountain roads, no excessive sway or roll. But there are three things I'd like to change:

1. Especially while driving over speed bumps I get some rumbling noise from the rear end. Not sure, but I think that are the two upper leaves (helper spring?) hitting the stop. Probably normal operation. At normal ride high there is a small gap betwen the leaves and the stops:
Blattfeder Fahreseite.JPGThe picture shows the suspension at riding level, the weight of the vehicle is on the axle.

2. Because of the additional weight, the rear hangs a little down. This is more an optical problem, but if it can be improved...

3. Most important point. Think about the followoing situation: One wheel is driven over quite a big rock, then at one point the wheel slips down to the ground. This hit causes a side to side roll...so far normal...but unfortunately it takes up to 4 or 5 right-to-left cycles until it stops and in my opinion there is far to much roll.

Unfortunately, we have lots of laws restricting changes to the truck. Said that, it is nearly impossible to do big changes to the trucks suspension. That includes Air-suspensions, additional helper springs and so on...actually everything not factory-looking is probably not road legal, except it comes from GM or it comes with a here accepted special manufacturer guarantee (is unfortunately rarely the case on US suspension parts).
As for the shocks we have a few more options. As long they work correctly we can throw in there nearly whatever we want.

Unfortunately I don't have that much of experience with suspensions. Said that please let me know if my following sollutions I've tought about are complete bulls***t. I hope the professionals here can give me some advice what i could do to improve the above mentioned 3 pionts.
Point 1 and 2 could maybe be improved with "bending" (not shure how the correct english expression for that is) the stock leaves a little more so the main leaf spring keeps the truck level and the upper two leaves support a little earlier (taking away the gap I have right now at normal street level). Maybe adding an additional leaf could be an option but I think that would harden the whole suspension. If not needed I'd like not to harden that to much because I am very happy with the highway ride quality how it is right now.
For point 3. I was thinking about new adjustable shocks. But there are so many ones around...Ranchos for 100$ up to King and Fox for 600$ and more. I was looking at the Fox with dual adjuster, but I've no idea if they would be worth the money and really be better adjustable for my needs than the much cheaper Ranchos. Hope you can give me some advice.

Thanks a lot
Urs

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello Pinkpanther and thank you for posting pics of your fine :Wow1:rig. Thats a great:Wow1: looking truck with an even better canopy/camper. I know that both Germany and Switzerland are very restrictive about vehicle modifications. I have a friend from the southern part of Germany that told me about all the restrictions. I drive an old 79 Chevy with a huge camper. I had a friend at Chilliwak Spring Service build me special spring packs with extra leafs to handle the load. I have installed a Helwig sway bar to help take care of the roll and have some really good Bilstein shocks with external resivoirs to handle the terrain. Stay away:Wow1: from Ranchos! I wore out a set in 2 summers of driving. Fox and King are great but pricy(expensive) Have a look at my build signiature to see details of what I did with my truck. Also, for off road driving airbags can puncture leaving you stranded and helpless. Welcome to the site here where you will find lots of helpfull people that will steers you in the right direction. Larry is our resident Chevy guru that is always helpfull and extremely knowlegeable as he is a GM tech. I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your fine rig. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Swedeski

Adventurer
Can't add anything helpfull regarding the suspension/roll-issue but just have to say that's an awesome setup!

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

Pinkpanther

Thanks a lot for your nice and helpful replys.

Chilli, I had a quick look at your thread...but I need to check that again with a little more time :Wow1:. You have bult a very nice truck too. And you use it for what it was built for...offroading...cool :smiley_drive:.

Actually I'd like to put in an additional leaf with military wraps for safety reasons. Not sure how likely it is that the main leaf breaks but if that hapens I think I'd have a big problem. But then again I'm a bit concerned that the rear end could get to hard with an additional leaf. What was your experiences on that after adding the aditional leafs?

Some friends also told me about adding a sway bar to the rear. Also there I have some concerns. I read somewhere that if I ad one on the rear I need to upgrade the front one as well to avoid understeering (or was it oversteering?). Right now my truck drives quite neutral.
The second point is that adding a sway bar will quite likely restrict the flexing of the rear axle. For a stock truck I am quite happy with the rear flexing: IMG_0745.JPGIMG_0746.JPGIMG_0742.JPGIMG_0747.JPG
In nature it looks more impressive than the pics show but they show quite good the possibilities. Little more and the Chevy would start stretching one paw in the air. If not really needed I'd like not to restrict that. I know, I'm looking for what we call here an "egg laying, milk giving whool pig";). At the end, I may have to get some restrictions at one end to get improvements on an other one but for now I tray to get as close as possible to the perfect suspension.

Thanks also for the Rancho-statement.
As for the pricy shocks I try to follow the slogans "if you buy cheap you buy twice" or "my life is to short to buy cheap things". That said, I prefer spending a bit more money and have something reliable.

Thx and have a nice weekend

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
A rear sway bar might be available for your truck from chevy. I think it would help your rocking. A stiffer rear sway bar will contribute to over steer, I'm not sure how much you would notice it.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have found that with the huge weight in the rear that a rear sway bar only helps matters. Also and probably more inportant a load level ȴtire makes life so much more enjoyable. The truck just seems to steer so much better. I run 37 inch Toyo muds that are 12.5 inches wide on a 17 inch rim. A huge difference from my old BFGs!:)

Pinkpanther

Does anybody know how much a rear sway bar would restrict the flexing?

The next thing I find a bit strange: If the rear sway bar would be the missing part...shouldn't I have the side to side roll also while driving at higher speeds in corners? I have that problem only at very low speed on very bumpy underground. But on sealed but curvy road I can drive it -for the size and weight- very fast without excessive body roll (believe me, I live in the swiss alps...we have very curvy roads). I also experience very low to neraly no load changes on S-curves. Off course I never tried an elk test but for normal onroad driving I am amazed how little roll-issues I have.

Not sure what specs load level E tires have to meet...here we have a little different load ratings. My tires are Cooper S/T Maxx 275/70 R18 125/122Q. Q is the speed index, up to 160km/h (100Mph), 125/122 is what we call the loadindex. If used as duallie the 122 would apply. 122 stands for up to 1500kg for each one of the duallies. Becaus I am on singles, the 125 applies for me and stands for up to 1650kg per tire at a given air pressure. Not sure about that, but I think it was at the max air pressure the tire is rated for, would be for me 5.5bar/80psi, what I am driving at the rear ones while on sealed roads. 125 is the highest rating I can get before I'd have to go to the real truck tires, other rims included. A friend of mine has a RAM with tires rated higher than 130 (not sure what rating exactly) and he said these would be far to stiff for our trucks.

Pinkpanther

It was a pickup, box removed:

IMG_0357.JPG
First offroad test. Conclusion: Too less weight at the rear axle ;)

Btw. does somebody need a pickup box? ;)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Does anybody know how much a rear sway bar would restrict the flexing?

The next thing I find a bit strange: If the rear sway bar would be the missing part...shouldn't I have the side to side roll also while driving at higher speeds in corners? I have that problem only at very low speed on very bumpy underground. But on sealed but curvy road I can drive it -for the size and weight- very fast without excessive body roll (believe me, I live in the swiss alps...we have very curvy roads). I also experience very low to neraly no load changes on S-curves. Off course I never tried an elk test but for normal onroad driving I am amazed how little roll-issues I have.

Not sure what specs load level E tires have to meet...here we have a little different load ratings. My tires are Cooper S/T Maxx 275/70 R18 125/122Q. Q is the speed index, up to 160km/h (100Mph), 125/122 is what we call the loadindex. If used as duallie the 122 would apply. 122 stands for up to 1500kg for each one of the duallies. Becaus I am on singles, the 125 applies for me and stands for up to 1650kg per tire at a given air pressure. Not sure about that, but I think it was at the max air pressure the tire is rated for, would be for me 5.5bar/80psi, what I am driving at the rear ones while on sealed roads. 125 is the highest rating I can get before I'd have to go to the real truck tires, other rims included. A friend of mine has a RAM with tires rated higher than 130 (not sure what rating exactly) and he said these would be far to stiff for our trucks.

Maybe the shocks aren't up to the task then. Does the back get bouncy on rough roads?

Pinkpanther

Good question. Unfortunately hard to answer. I've been a few times on rough roads, but they were or so rough, or so steep, or so narrow or so curvy that it wasn't possible to drive much more than maybe 30km/h, most of the time I had to drive slower. And even if it was possible to drive 30, then only for short stretches, so that is probably not that revealing.

But while thinking about...
-In my first post I mentioned some rumbling while driving over speed bumps. Might be that there is also some bouncing after leaving them but not that this had been a major issue yet.
-Then there is one stretch of a few km on a particular highway in Germany that has verry fast, little bumps. There I get a bouncing while driving quite exactly 100km/h. At >110 or < 90 km/h everithing is ok. I allways tought that has to do with the space between the single bumps and my wheelbase so I get some kind of self-resonance...not sure about that.
-And maybe a third thing. Back in the days, I was driving the truck with the "box-body" only (without any furniture, camping gear, water and so on built into the box). Back then I had quite a bit of bouncing at speeds from 60 to 80 km/h. After all needed (and not needed ;) ) gear had been installed, that had nearly gone. The rest went away after tightening a little more the springs between the box and the frame.

Does somebody know for how many km stock shocks last on such fully loaded trucks? Mine has 50'000km on the clock, not that much, but I think GM has to do their settings so they work for every possible situation. Considering that, a stock shock will probably never be perfectly adjusted for the max payload, where I nearly am now. Said that, new, a little firmer shocks would probably not be of disadvantage, or what do you think?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
What I Did

Urs,

A lifetime in Africa has made me a suspension freak. I have a Malayan Tiger built on a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD. Total weight just under 5500 kg. fully loaded. Swiss regulations can be a pain, but this is what I did:

-- Cognito upper A arm replacement and pittman arm support in the front.
-- Firestone air bags in the rear with one inch blocks. (Should have been two inches.)
-- Fox external reservoir shocks. Love them, but would now buy the adjustable model.
-- Nitro Terra Grappler 295/70x18E tires. (900 kg. rating)
-- Hellwig "Big Wig" anti-sway bar in the rear. (This added after two years of use, on and off pavement.)

The truck handles VERY well. On pavement the truck will easily cruise at 100 -120 kph. (Fuel costs and speed limits encourage speeds below 100 kph!) Off pavement, the truck handles rough roads, including washboard (tôle ondulé) very well. There where two handling faults, low speed wobble when grinding over rocks or drainage ditches and weight transfer during high speed, downhill turns, such as found on mountain roads or motorway off ramps. The rear anti-sway fixed those problems nicely.

Basically, put a camper on the beast and you are always at the outer limits of a suspension that is designed to be comfortable when empty.

Hope this is useful. You can find more information on my website.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Pinkpanther

Sweet! Is that your house? Nice scenery.

No, that's not my house but not to far from home. What you can see there is just a shed, but next to that there is a very small house. Nowadays only used for weekends/holydays. Only basic fascilities...coocking on fire only, heating with wood, very limited to no cell phone reception...very nice to slow down, I really like to be there. The only problem I have...I allways need to chose...or go there or take the Chevy and explore other nice places in the world ;)

-- Cognito upper A arm replacement and pittman arm support in the front.
-- Firestone air bags in the rear with one inch blocks. (Should have been two inches.)
-- Fox external reservoir shocks. Love them, but would now buy the adjustable model.
-- Nitro Terra Grappler 295/70x18E tires. (900 kg. rating)
-- Hellwig "Big Wig" anti-sway bar in the rear. (This added after two years of use, on and off pavement.)

The truck handles VERY well. On pavement the truck will easily cruise at 100 -120 kph. (Fuel costs and speed limits encourage speeds below 100 kph!) Off pavement, the truck handles rough roads, including washboard (tôle ondulé) very well. There where two handling faults, low speed wobble when grinding over rocks or drainage ditches and weight transfer during high speed, downhill turns, such as found on mountain roads or motorway off ramps. The rear anti-sway fixed those problems nicely.
Very nice truck you have there. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. Field experiences on nearly the same vehicle...that ist very helpfull. Can you tell me the dimensions of your truck?
-What improvements do you get from the A arm and pittman arm support?
-Adjustable Fox shocks: Would you go for the 2.0" or the 2.5" ones? Any idea what benefits the 2.5" compared to the 2" shocks would provide (for normal driving like we do, not racing)?
-900 kg rating for your tires...I think that is a bit low...should that maybe be 1900kg?
-Any changes regarding oversteering or understeering after you added the rear sway bar? Did you change anything to the front sway bar? Can you tell me something about how much the max possible flexing has been reduced after you added the rear sway bar?

Thanks a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz