Power wagon rambox problems

I bought a 2016 power wagon and it has the ram boxes. I don't know what to do with the bed. I want to put a rack with a roof top tent on the back. But i cant find a rack that fits. I also want to but some drawers and a fridge in the bed but don't want them exposed to the elements. I seen a nice aev ram with a custom rack and a tonneau cover. Just wondering if you guys have some other ideas.

p nut

butter
Yeah, that Rambox kind of limits your rack options. I'm thinking you need to go custom. It shouldn't be too bad, as lots add a custom ladder rack on their work tricks, so seek out a good local welder to build one up for you.

As for the fridge, you'll probably want to put that in the cab to keep it from the elements.

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Where are you located? We are trying to source a Rambox truck locally to build a jig for bed racks. If your within reasonable driving distance of southern Oklahoma and could be without your truck for a day or two I could make it worth your time.

Matt
Exploration Outfitters

ttengineer

Adventurer
That AEV truck with the Ram box rack was at Overland Expo East and I was told that the Rack WILL BE MADE! Thats what I plan on getting.

Also, Nuthouse Industries is making one too.

I am in the same boat as you as I have the ramboxes as well (love hate relationship with them) and interested in something for the bed that is removable so I can still use the truck for work during the week.

I have been thinking of designing an aluminum box that slides in the bed, has a tent on the top and opens up for a kitchen and storage. Basically a trailer that fits in the bed of a truck. You could have them made for all different applications too. I think it would fill a gap for those of us that use our trucks for daily use and still need the bed for work.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity, Is the Rambox option worth it? I have hear a lot of reports that people who get them don't actually like them....

Clutch

<---Pass
Out of curiosity, Is the Rambox option worth it? I have hear a lot of reports that people who get them don't actually like them....

I don't like how they open, can't use a topper. Maybe if the door folded down towards you, which would also act like a shelf, it would be better.

Good idea of using wasted space, but not executed well.

Like this better, stock look but very functional. Imagine the market would be very small for such a thing and not cost prohibitive.

Made by Royal Sport Bed, if you're wondering.

DSCN1821_zpss29qtpki.jpg

20141013_180537.jpg

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer

From my perspective and ownership I can say that they need work as an engineer. Mine have been repaired multiple times for various reasons like leaking, not shutting right, and body lines not lining up. It was like pulling teeth to get the dealership to repair it as well. Finally after the 5th time of dropping the truck off they took it to the body shop and they fixed them.

Its my opinion that the main problem lies with the material. The boxes, doors, and fascia are all plastic. When that sits in a metal bed you are bound to have issues. Also if there were more organization options for them like racks and storage organizers it would be better.

My other problem lies with the accessory rail in the bed. Its just a piece of ****. Its the same junk that is in the bed of Tacomas. No one makes accessories for it (ie bike holders, racks, shelves, etc) so it just takes up space and it can not hold very much weight. Now, If someone made a rack that fit inside the track and it held significant weight (600+lbs) it would be a different story.

Having said all that, they are convenient which is nice, its just the execution that is the problem.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
From my perspective and ownership I can say that they need work as an engineer. Mine have been repaired multiple times for various reasons like leaking, not shutting right, and body lines not lining up. It was like pulling teeth to get the dealership to repair it as well. Finally after the 5th time of dropping the truck off they took it to the body shop and they fixed them.

Its my opinion that the main problem lies with the material. The boxes, doors, and fascia are all plastic. When that sits in a metal bed you are bound to have issues. Also if there were more organization options for them like racks and storage organizers it would be better.

My other problem lies with the accessory rail in the bed. Its just a piece of ****. Its the same junk that is in the bed of Tacomas. No one makes accessories for it (ie bike holders, racks, shelves, etc) so it just takes up space and it can not hold very much weight. Now, If someone made a rack that fit inside the track and it held significant weight (600+lbs) it would be a different story.

Having said all that, they are convenient which is nice, its just the execution that is the problem.

Right on, thanks for the reply. I think its a pretty cool idea...however not too hot about the loss of bed width, the fact you cant have any type of topper, and the extra $$.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Right on, thanks for the reply. I think its a pretty cool idea...however not too hot about the loss of bed width, the fact you cant have any type of topper, and the extra $$.

Well the bed loss is minimal and if you are carrying lumber its un-usable space anyway. Plus for people that use the truck as a Lifestyle choice its a nice feature.

I have never understood why people buy toppers or tonneau covers though. You loose so much utility when you close a bed in.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Where are you located? We are trying to source a Rambox truck locally to build a jig for bed racks. If your within reasonable driving distance of southern Oklahoma and could be without your truck for a day or two I could make it worth your time.

Matt
Exploration Outfitters

Do you have a mock up drawing showing what yalls will look like?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Well the bed loss is minimal and if you are carrying lumber its un-usable space anyway. Plus for people that use the truck as a Lifestyle choice its a nice feature.

I have never understood why people buy toppers or tonneau covers though. You loose so much utility when you close a bed in.

Yes, you make a very valid point. I wont ever be without a shell. It is so simple to throw my stuff in the bed, lock it up and not worry about it. I've had my truck for just over 10 years now and I have only wished I didn't have a shell 2 times. That being said, if I was a contractor or needed easy access to the bed often, then a shell would be out of the question.

Clutch

<---Pass

Toppers are for people who don't like vans. ;)

You loose a little utility or gain a whole lot...all depends how you set it up.

A.R.E.-Site-Commander-Truck-Cap.jpg

Yes, you make a very valid point. I wont ever be without a shell. It is so simple to throw my stuff in the bed, lock it up and not worry about it. I've had my truck for just over 10 years now and I have only wished I didn't have a shell 2 times. That being said, if I was a contractor or needed easy access to the bed often, then a shell would be out of the question.

I have had my topper off only a couple times, didn't like it....loss a lot of lockable space, plus keeps my gear out of the weather. Have a 5X8 open trailer which acts like a fullsize truck bed. Like that even more, don't have to lift things so high, nor have wheel wells to contend with.

p nut

butter
How does a tonneau cover impact the utility of my truck when the cargo I carry 99% of the time (read: air) fits perfectly under there? :elkgrin: Last week's trip with the family, I had all of the kid's stuff in a Costco bin, other stuff in another bin, a bicycle, and random stuff all under the tonneau cover. Kept out of the weather, sight, and still had a clear view out the back (although I have a back up cam).
_
I bought it thinking if it impedes with daily duties or packing for trips, I'll get rid of it. Hasn't been an issue yet. Plus, I can remove it in about 5 min (two bolts to undo underneath) by myself. I had a shell in the past. It was nice as well, but I never need to carry THAT much stuff all the time, and it was a pain to remove for the times I had to haul stuff too big to fit (furniture, appliances, etc.). As said above, it all depends on usage.

toyotech

Expedition Leader

I have a topper on my truck but I also own two trailers if I need it for truck duties. Easier to load a trailer than the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
How does a tonneau cover impact the utility of my truck when the cargo I carry 99% of the time (read: air) fits perfectly under there? :elkgrin: Last week's trip with the family, I had all of the kid's stuff in a Costco bin, other stuff in another bin, a bicycle, and random stuff all under the tonneau cover. Kept out of the weather, sight, and still had a clear view out the back (although I have a back up cam).
_
I bought it thinking if it impedes with daily duties or packing for trips, I'll get rid of it. Hasn't been an issue yet. Plus, I can remove it in about 5 min (two bolts to undo underneath) by myself. I had a shell in the past. It was nice as well, but I never need to carry THAT much stuff all the time, and it was a pain to remove for the times I had to haul stuff too big to fit (furniture, appliances, etc.). As said above, it all depends on usage.

Air takes up a lot of space! Need a topper or tonnaeu cover to contain it or it escapes!

I made a pully system to take my topper on and off...well... used it once. Took off the SnugTop and put on a Wildernest, which has even more utility! It is a topper, it is a tent camper...look at all that air it can hold, open or closed! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne