Positional: Simple GPS App w/ Coords, Elevation, Speed, Bearing

Yuccahead

Adventurer
An idea for displaying the various attributes...

Just downloaded this on my phone. It is awesome. I was just on a trip through Big Bend and wishing I had something that did just this. Thanks for creating this.

I have one suggestion though it may not be worth the coding effort. I suggest that you make the relative screen position of the key attributes flexible. That is, there are times when I may want Elevation to be the largest item on the screen. There are other times when bearing is most important. Could you make the app work so that I could, for example, drag "Bearing" up to the large display area at the top. This would cause Bearing to be the large display item and location would drop to the second place on the list? Maybe bearing together with speed?

Thanks for your efforts.

David

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
incompatible devices?

I just found this thread, and immediately downloaded it to my Wi-Fi (only) tablet. It seems to work fine, but I can't download it to my phone (a Samsung Rugby Pro), which is much handier to carry. I know it's an antique, but why is it incompatible with your app? I would've thought it would work, due to having cellular, Wi-Fi, and GPS connectivity together, while my tablet only has Wi-Fi and GPS. A flaw in my phone, or what am I overlooking?

plh

Explorer
I just found this thread, and immediately downloaded it to my Wi-Fi (only) tablet. It seems to work fine, but I can't download it to my phone (a Samsung Rugby Pro), which is much handier to carry. I know it's an antique, but why is it incompatible with your app? I would've thought it would work, due to having cellular, Wi-Fi, and GPS connectivity together, while my tablet only has Wi-Fi and GPS. A flaw in my phone, or what am I overlooking?

what version of Android are you running on the phone? Quick google search says it came with 4.0 which might be the issue

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Android phone, lost root, can't download Positional app

what version of Android are you running on the phone? Quick google search says it came with 4.0 which might be the issue

I bought it from AT&T in Sept.'13, and it already had the upgrade to Android 4.1.2 installed (by AT&T on 7-3-13, while still in their hands-new-). The day after I bought it, 9-17-13, there was an OTA baseband change, and another on 11-18-14. I was having slow-downs with it after that, so I rooted it, but the next ( and last) OTA on 9-3-15 from AT&T un-rooted it, and changed the baseband code again. Right now, I don't have root, nor do I have the "su binary" to fix it. Otherwise, all is well. Does that info help?

mtrewartha

Observer
Just downloaded this on my phone. It is awesome. I was just on a trip through Big Bend and wishing I had something that did just this. Thanks for creating this.

I have one suggestion though it may not be worth the coding effort. I suggest that you make the relative screen position of the key attributes flexible. That is, there are times when I may want Elevation to be the largest item on the screen. There are other times when bearing is most important. Could you make the app work so that I could, for example, drag "Bearing" up to the large display area at the top. This would cause Bearing to be the large display item and location would drop to the second place on the list? Maybe bearing together with speed?

Thanks for your efforts.

David

I'm glad you like it! Yeah, that's a great suggestion and I've thought about implementing it in the past. It dropped down the priority list at one point, but it's getting back up there now. I'd really love to be able to do the same thing! I'm working on adding a compass and clinometer now, then battery efficiency is the next thing I'd like to tackle (which should be easy). Maybe I'll implement this drag and drop functionality after that...

I bought it from AT&T in Sept.'13, and it already had the upgrade to Android 4.1.2 installed (by AT&T on 7-3-13, while still in their hands-new-). The day after I bought it, 9-17-13, there was an OTA baseband change, and another on 11-18-14. I was having slow-downs with it after that, so I rooted it, but the next ( and last) OTA on 9-3-15 from AT&T un-rooted it, and changed the baseband code again. Right now, I don't have root, nor do I have the "su binary" to fix it. Otherwise, all is well. Does that info help?

The version of Android that device is running is what's preventing it from working, not the root aspect. When developing an Android app, the developer is required to set a minimum version of Android that the app is able to run on. When I did so, I chose Lollipop (Android 5.0)... I went that route for two reasons:

1. Most devices are running Lollipop or higher nowadays
2. Lollipop has some nice, developer-friendly aspects that previous versions don't have, making my development experience easier and more fun.

That said, I'll get 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich and higher) versions working for you! It's definitely doable and at this point, the codebase is small enough that it shouldn't be much effort. Stay tuned and I'll post in here as soon as I submit an update to the Play Store that would work for you.

Last edited:

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
old phone is dependable; needs Positional, too!

...The version of Android that device is running is what's preventing it from working, not the root aspect. When developing an Android app, the developer is required to set a minimum version of Android that the app is able to run on. When I did so, I chose Lollipop (Android 5.0)... I went that route for two reasons:

1. Most devices are running Lollipop or higher nowadays
2. Lollipop has some nice, developer-friendly aspects that previous versions don't have, making my development experience easier and more fun.

That said, I'll get 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich and higher) versions working for you! It's definitely doable and at this point, the codebase is small enough that it shouldn't be much effort. Stay tuned and I'll post in here as soon as I submit an update to the Play Store that would work for you.
Thanks! I might be the only one on the forum using such an outdated phone, but it has been tough as nails and dropped and soaked, but still survives (I still have my indestructible, non-smartphone, Samsung Rugby 2, as a back-up, just-in-case). I have Positional on my 8 inch tablet, a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, but it has no real survivability built into it. I store it in a padded water-resistant molle case, and I added a protective glass screen cover, but who can say if it will be as tough as my phone has been. If/when I need to use your app, I know I can (if it is installed on both devices, short of being near an EMP blast). I went in to upgrade to an S6 Active, last year, but my wife just had to have one just like it (her Samsung Mega 6.3 was giving her fits, damaged by repeated carelessness), so I kept my old phone and let her get a new one, this time (I limit our expenses on connectivity, being retired). I bet mine outlasts hers.

mtrewartha

Observer
Thanks! I might be the only one on the forum using such an outdated phone, but it has been tough as nails and dropped and soaked, but still survives (I still have my indestructible, non-smartphone, Samsung Rugby 2, as a back-up, just-in-case). I have Positional on my 8 inch tablet, a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, but it has no real survivability built into it. I store it in a padded water-resistant molle case, and I added a protective glass screen cover, but who can say if it will be as tough as my phone has been. If/when I need to use your app, I know I can (if it is installed on both devices, short of being near an EMP blast). I went in to upgrade to an S6 Active, last year, but my wife just had to have one just like it (her Samsung Mega 6.3 was giving her fits, damaged by repeated carelessness), so I kept my old phone and let her get a new one, this time (I limit our expenses on connectivity, being retired). I bet mine outlasts hers.

No prob! I just wrapped up a new release, so this will be the next thing I tackle.

mtrewartha

Observer
Just released Positional v2.2.1! This version adds compass functionality. There's some tab navigation at the bottom of the app now, allowing you to swap back and forth between position and compass. It's worth noting that the compass points at magnetic north, not true north. If people would like to see true north, I can do that and I'll certainly consider it for a future release.

In addition, I've redesigned the look of the position information (again haha, sorry) to be more streamlined and simple. It's cleaner now and looks great when swapping between the position and compass tabs. I stuck to Google's Material Design Guidelines for this.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming!

Screenshot_1490568922.jpg Screenshot_1490568939.jpg

Last edited:

mtrewartha

Observer
Hey folks, sorry for the hiatus! Work has been crazy and I just bought a house, so life has been nuts. Anywho, I just pushed out a new version of the app! I have good news if you run an older device (like workingonit71)... Positional now works on Android 4.0.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and higher! To be more exact, it's now capable of running on 10,538 different devices.

If you haven't already, check it out and let me know what you think! If you enjoy using it, Google Play Store reviews are always highly appreciated :sombrero:

mtrewartha

Observer
Just released Positional v2.4.0 to the Play Store! Here are the highlights:

• The compass can now show readings relative to both true north and magnetic north. Just tap the "mode" to switch and the app will always remember/use the last one you chose. In addition, the magnetic declination of your current position (which tells you how different true north is from magnetic north) is shown.
  • The red arrow of the compass now points north like it should!
Enjoy :)
Screenshot_20170630-212334.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles