Question for those of you with military style trailers

Jevy

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I have a M1101 that I'm building with a RTT. I'm wanting to add some power for lights inside the tent/under the tent and a charging port in the tent to charge a phone/ipad if needed. My main question is where/how did you mount the battery? Also did you use a power distribution block or just individually fuse the wires off the battery. I'm also going to be using it to haul kayaks which means sometimes it will be sitting on a boat ramp. I'ld like to keep the battery out of sight to lower the risk of theft but can't quite figure out how to do it. Any advice/pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

davis31052

Adventurer
How about an ammo can big enough for you battery, bolted to the body? Or cut an access door into the floor and secure a battery box to one of the frame x-members. Then run power and ground up to a junction box to feed everything

tarditi

Explorer
Bolt an ammo can or tongue box (and make them lockable) where you have the fuel can holder.

Power distribution and charging is very much a different discussion and depends on what you do - new fuse panel, wire to a few 12v outlets, inverter, etc.; recharge from 7-pin, solar, shore power, etc.

I have a jump box, which is just a motorcycle sized battery with an AC charger, and run a multi 12v and USB box like this (not this one in particular) https://smile.amazon.com/BESTEK-3-Socket-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter/dp/B00XP5C3XY/ If you hardwire your outlets you can get something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-Charger/dp/B00PBKO2YY/

I also have a few goal0 storage, battery-powered, and solar items.

Hope this helps - my solution was something to get me going rather than miss trips and adventures because my perfect solution wasn't prepared yet :)

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Tongue box from Harbor Freight with a battery box and Blue Sea fuse panel. Plenty of pics in my build thread, link in my sig.

Jarred

Here is what I did on my 1102. I plan to swap the single 12V deep cycle for two 6V golf cart batteries and once that is done I'll mount the batteries and the inline charger. I also still need to work on a cover for the wiring.
IMG_7899.jpg
IMG_7901.jpg

Jevy

Adventurer
well I guess I'm just going to mount a battery on the side of the wheel well and hopefully people don't take it. I'm only going to be running a couple light circuits and a couple 12v circuits for charging devices and running a small fan in the tent. Hopefully it will be ok.

cyclic

Adventurer
Little bit of aluminum sheet and you can make a pretty secure box to house it. Basically just extend the shape of the wheel forward and either hinge it or make the whole thing removable with bolts.

sgthawk

Adventurer
I used a lockable aluminum box for my build and I fabricated a stand that I bolted to the toung.

20161016_190405.jpg

20161016_155707.jpg

20160930_204740.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior