Show me really cool flatbed ideas for my StuperDuty

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've got an '05 F-350 CC dually that was changed over to a flatbed. It's your basic ugly as a bag of hammers black flatbed and I'd like to spruce it up someway, but I am creatively challenged. Any pics of cool/unusual flatbed designs would be appreciated.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Those are nice functional mass produced (sort of) units. I'm more interested in the one-offs by the shade tree mechs working out of their garages. That's where the real creativity is.

ericvs

What is your intended usage? Are you planning on putting a camper on it, or just use it as a flatbed? Hauling sleds or tires? Reason for my question:

There are sweet flatbeds like this, but those wouldn't work with a camper:
P7100041.jpg

Or if you wanted an integral load ramp for extra toys, maybe something like this:
037.jpg

Or to make it more offroad worthy, can you say unlimited departure angle?
samyota2.jpg

400510d1225608018-official-toyota-flatbed-thread-12-02-06-011.jpg

Or maybe to haul a camper:
2002-ford-e-350-4x4-van-v4-bed-overall-ujoint-off-road.jpg

My truck has a Bradford built flatbed (check the thread in my signature). The headache rack and side walls were cut off so I could put my camper on it.

I have also seen my same bed as a chase truck in Baja:
131_1007_02%2b2003_dodge_2500_cummins%2bchase_truck.jpg

Or heck, maybe just nice clean looking flatbeds
34460d1330113900-flatbeds-sdc10559.jpg

Good luck! make sure to take pics of the finished product!

STREGA

Explorer
Here's my new AT built Aluminum flatbed just picked up a couple days ago. Mine will be hauling around a popup camper.

image.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'll try to get a shot of what I'm working with this weekend, but it looks pretty much like the Baha'i chase truck, minus the side panels.

No camper planned. There's a gooseneck hookup in it whose execution I feel to be a bit shoddy, so I'd like to replace it with a turnover ball gooseneck hitch, if possible. Being able to get the companion fifth wheel to work with it would be a bonus.

So....gooseneck/5th wheel use. General flatbed duties of hauling whatever crap will fit when it arises . Side kit capability useful.

It's mounted to what was a duality pickup, not a C&C, so there's that to consider.

It sticks out past the sides of the cab about 6" per side and I don't like that. I don't like the basic squarish shape of the whole thing so...

Idea is to cut the corners out of the front to make them taper into the cab width. A boat tail at the front if you will, and to do the same to the rear of the bed except in a bit larger fashion. Similar to that 70s Ford posted up above. Like to keep the bed overall flat, without the fender humps over the tires pictured above.

Anyway, general idea of what I'd like to have in function, with a vague notion of form. Now I'm just fishing for ideas on how to accomplish the above with a bit of "holy crap that's cool!" creativity. :)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its a flatbed.

Its designed for utility, so the designs should be dictated by YOUR needs.

If it were me, Id add some under body boxes for storage, build some side racks as well as ladder racks for it for added utility.

But that's me. I use the heck out of mine in every configuration it offers.

F350joe

2000 f350 6.5' flatbed

IMG_1138.jpg

That is a 50's camper I just restored on the back. The bed boxes hold the house battery, water pump, etc. love having a flatbed, no paint to worry about and you can bolt whatever you want to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior