Running an iPod in an LC 100 series equipped with navigation?

treadstone

Observer
Does anyone know if there is a way to run an iPod in a 100 series LC equipped with Navigation, or what year vehicle this is possible in?? My wife and I bought a BEAUTIFUL 2002 LC with 92K on it. We LOVED the vehicle, but it had the navigation system in it. Since you can not remove the NAV and replace it with an aftermarket stereo due to the integration of the climate controls,I spent $1200 trying to "rig" a way to play my iPod through the stock system using an external FM system. This sucked. We both agreed that we would never be happy with this setup, so we sold that LC.:( We are now looking to buy another 100 series LC without the Navigation system. I had heard somewhere (forgot where) that you CAN run an iPod through the stock system with the Navigation in 2004 and up 100 series. Is there any truth to this??

zimm

Expedition Leader
you sold a truck you loved because you couldnt hook up an ipod?

phew... kids today.

you must be of the generation that had earplugs at the firing line. the world has been AM radio to me for 30 years.

theres no doubt my avitar is an accurate representation.

JakeH

Adventurer
You sold the truck?! Did you at least make a quick trip to cartoys first? If they can put Bluetooth & 10,000 watts of junk in a 1970 Cadillac, I'm pretty sure they could hook you up with an iPod adapter... In the old days we just tapped into the speaker level outputs of the head unit with RCA stepdowns for like $20.

treadstone

Observer
You sold the truck?! Did you at least make a quick trip to cartoys first? If they can put Bluetooth & 10,000 watts of junk in a 1970 Cadillac, I'm pretty sure they could hook you up with an iPod adapter... In the old days we just tapped into the speaker level outputs of the head unit with RCA stepdowns for like $20.

Like I said, at the time I spent $1200 trying a workaround to run the iPod. It was a complicated messy setup, that never even sounded halfway decent. My inlaws have a 2000 LC without navigation, and they were able to put new speakers and a head unit in that sounds great. Again, I am just looking for information on the 2004 and newer LCs with navigation. Is there a way to run the iPod to the stock system? Is there a USB port?

I know some people might think this is trivial, but the days of carrying a stack of CDs in my vehicle (or tapes.....yes I am almost 50 so I remember) are gone. Any information would be appreciated. As of right now my search is limited to 2003 and up LCs without navigation. Makes the search a bit difficult because it seems most had it.

treadstone

Observer
Man that's crazy. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I have a 2006 LC and have the USASpec adapter and can stream IPhone BT or hoookup USB to an iPod or any other USB device. Steering wheel control and all. Hooks up and acts like a cd changer. Keep the factory nav and changer.

Here's a starting point. Can't remember the exact model I used, but it was easy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WVgydb...terface-for-Toyota-Scion-Lexus-and-Isuzu.html

That USASpec adaptor is no longer available. The "replacement" part they list says that it will not work with the 03^ LC with factory Nav.

My 02 LC was sold a year and a half ago. Water under the bridge. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
It's as easy as a cassette tape adapter.

Maybe 6-8 bucks, lol... Not the stealthiest thing. But it works....

Wife loves hers. But not BT compatible though.

https://www.amazon.com/INSTEN-Unive...7749917&sr=8-1&keywords=cassette+tape+adapter

I do miss the BT connectivity I had in my 2015 Tacoma though. It just worked great and with steering wheel controls to both audio and phone. Made driving easier and doing business.

Now I have had an iPod adapter from Lexus in the past on an older LS400 and it wasn't that cheap but I scored it on eBay after researching exactly which part number I needed and it plugs in and pigtails off the audio harness behind the radio in the dash and left me the wide iPod connector sitting in the glove box. I do know certain newer years had iPod controls in the factory audio unit that made this possible.

Good luck finding what works for ya, I wasn't trying to be smart with the cassette adapter. I think they are an eye sore but can work in a pinch if needed.

Oh one other thing, I have found that the wife much prefers to use my iPod Classic as it's an 80GB with all 50+ gigs of my music on it.

SO that means the second most important input in our vehicle is a 3.5mm headset port. MOST important is a charging port! She can scroll though and look at everything much easier on the iPod Classic than trying to get whatever audio system your using to try and process 50+ GBs of info and display it. Hope that makes sense.

It's also much easier while the driver is focused on the road your passenger isn't trying to fumble and navigate the dash while hanging on. She just simply uses that amazing "opposable thumb" and enjoys it. My 2015 Tacoma just couldn't process all that info quickly, I did't think it would so I put my favorite music in "Playlists" to make it easier on the factory head unit.

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
What the OP posted is unfathomable to me. I bought this device March of 2015 on a whim and it works great with my phone to stream in my LX470 (a 2002). Sounds terrific, works in places like LA (considering it's an FM transmitter), has not only a mini-plug for things like my old non-BT Nano but a USB port as well. Selling a great rig because of this issue?? That's nuts, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/FlexSMART-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Multipoint-Hands-Free/dp/B003PPGOC0

treadstone

Observer
What the OP posted is unfathomable to me. I bought this device March of 2015 on a whim and it works great with my phone to stream in my LX470 (a 2002). Sounds terrific, works in places like LA (considering it's an FM transmitter), has not only a mini-plug for things like my old non-BT Nano but a USB port as well. Selling a great rig because of this issue?? That's nuts, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/FlexSMART-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Multipoint-Hands-Free/dp/B003PPGOC0

Yeah, the unit I tried was a more expensive FM/bluetooth device hardwired into the system. It never sounded good. I'm not all butt-hurt about selling the 2002 LC. I broke even on it, paid off my wife's nursing school, and now we are way better off financially. It also allows us to buy a newer LC with the 5 speed trans. The LC is a third vehicle for fun. I just wanted such a nice luxurious vehicle to not have a goofy stereo setup.

treadstone

Observer
Good info Chris. Thank you. I would still like to just plug my iPod classic into it. Seems like there are better option than when I last looked.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Paid off my wife's nursing school, and now we are way better off financially.

That is cool, congrats.

Hope you score another 100 soon.

I'm really curious after watching a guy on YouTube take apart his Toyota radio and actually solder in his own leads into his factory unit and I think they override the CD segment he made his own 3.5mm input from that.

Was pretty slick.

I would tear apart my LC radio just try to do it if I knew what was the tape cassette input.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Unless your classic iPod is FireWire (really classic!) then the USB input on the VAIStech should support input over the dock connector. No need for 3.5 input.

treadstone

Observer
Unless your classic iPod is FireWire (really classic!) then the USB input on the VAIStech should support input over the dock connector. No need for 3.5 input.

I did't see that the VAIS unit had a USB input? My eyes aren't the best lately. That would make it a nice option! I need to call VAIS and confirm which LC models it will work with. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior