Say hello to the White Camel - Defender 90

charcoal

Nice Land Rover! Love the idea of Camel Trophy mods on a standard Defender, in fact it's exactly what I've done with my Defender too.

Attachments

• Roof rack 3.jpg
    Roof rack 3.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 27

ze_zaskar

Observer
Then it was time for proper shoes.

It was a very a tough tough decision, spent many months considering different tyre and wheel combinations.

I wanted rims with a reasonable offset, but wanted to keep the genuine LR look. Wolfs are, IMO, the prettiest of them all and can fit (with some good faith) up to a 285 tyre. With spacers they get equivalent to a -10mm offset, so thats about what I wanted. Also, being a standard rim (instead of some obscure sourced modulares with a specific offset) they're easy to replace.

On tyres, I wanted height, but had little interest in width. Checked the 285/75R16s but the height advantage to the 235/85R16 seemed small. Was even considering 35"s, but they were too wide. Also, measuring some units in the real world, they were barely 34" tall, so hard to justify the investment and disadvantages.
I'd go for 8.25R16 or 9.00R16s, but theyr are too rare and expensive.

Ended up choosing 255/85R16, specifically the BFGs KM2, as they where the cheapest ones.
Pros
- narrowish
- not too expensive
- not too punitive to stock drivetrain
- keeps the LR look while improving performance
- tall

Off the car, at 2.5Bar on the Wolf rims, my units measured 33,5" tall. Most 35s I measured were about 34,2" or so, so we are talking about a 0,7" diameter difference here.

Old vs new

25yirNT.jpg

aoMOgTN.jpg

Please ignore the roof rack, it was a cheap Bearmach one I got to take some measurements to build a custom one (and yes, that bumper is "somewhat bent")

The Disco keeps getting smaller

Last edited:
Great choice, keeps with the classiness of your build.

I am going with the BFG KM2 as well when I get around to my 17" wheel mod on my NAS Disco 3. The tire is proven around the world and we can keep them skinny.....hahaha

I keep on following, loving the D90!

Kgh

Let’s go already!
My wife kept remarking how big Defenders were, and considered them very wide for the road. I looked online to compare with other cars.

Defender 90- 1.79 meters wide. 4.04 meters long
Discovery 2 - 1.86 meters wide. 4.71 meters long
Ford Focus 1.72. 3.96

It is the height that makes the 90 look bigger, when in fact it is about the size of a Fod Focus, and smaller than a Disco II!

In my opinion, a 90 is a great size for driving and actually finding parking here in Europe.

Back to topic, some nice mods and good maintenance on your truck!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Excellent upgrades and well executed. I have the same tires and size going on a black wolf rim for my 1976 Series III 109. I debated white letters out or in for about a nanosecond and seeing yours mounted really help seal my decision - no white letters.

Keep up the great work and posting pictures!

rlynch356

Defyota
you will like the 255/85-16 KO2's - I have been running them for a year now, no down sides (maybe snow...) and they work perfect with the D90.

Nice looking 90
enjoy !

ze_zaskar

Observer
Hi guys,

Keeping on with our story, it was more or less about this time that we decided to take part on a 11.000km Africa expedition, the Sahara Desert Challenge. It's an organised expedition that follows a rout inspired by the old Paris/Lisbon-Dakar. We'll depart on the 27 of December.

http://www.saharadesertchallenge.com/ensdc_index.html

Now with 20% more wheels on board:

YNkNxUp.jpg

The second spare wheel is mandatory for the expedition, ad the bonnet seems to be a nice place to have it on a space challenged 90

cnS5vmM.jpg

Installed a pair of Paddock Spares galanized rocksliders, dirt cheap, great fit and finish. I painted them black for aesthetic reasons

ZFPdfJn.jpg

Next in were a set of hubcentric 30mm wheel spacers
Before:

3WBDxe1.jpg

After:

HgTKRYP.jpg

They made an amazing difference cornering, feels much more planted. Also feels better offroad, better traction as the wider stance seems to bite the edges of the trail
Makes one wonder why LR always was so conservative with wheel's offsets. The wheel bearings are actually quite oversized, considering the Defender weight

ze_zaskar

Observer
Hi all,

This was the very final stage of the preparation before the big trip.

I already got the winch for some time, a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, but it took me some months to gather the budget for the bumper. Went for a FirsFour bumper.

Also really wanted a Camel style bull bar, but they were impossible to find in PT. Some pop up from time to time in the UK, but nobody was accepting to ship them here.
So I did a little transformation to the existing bullbar.

The day the goods arrived

QCZ1FLc.jpg

Time for a facelift

jx8zWwj.jpg

And.....done

Next to it's younger brother

It' absolutely amazing how two vehicles with similar engines, drivetrain, suspensions and chassis behave and feel so differently.

Last edited:

ze_zaskar

Observer
That was quite a complicated affair...
- The bonnet striker spring was too weak to lift it on release - my mechanic found out a 300Tdi valve spring is a perfect fit, both size and strength wise
- The stock articulated bonnet stay was too weak to the wheel weight - had to fit a straight rigid military stay
- The big 255/85R16 was hitting the roll cage when opening the bonnet, making it impossible for the new stay to pass over the radiator and into it's socket - had to shorten the stay
- The front of the bonnet was flexing too much under the weight - had to fit an extra pair of bonnet bumpstops (or whatever they're called)

But now it works pretty well

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Nice work, and well thought out modifications.

Good luck on the Rally! Please keep us updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz