1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 Budget Overland Build

davkenrem

Observer
Yeah because I could afford it. The upgraded performance motors get really expensive really quick. I'm going to install the LT4 cam, the new Fuel Injection Spyder and headers and that should increase the performance enough for me.

Last edited:

davkenrem

Observer
The engine is just about ready to go in.
I went with the following camshaft:
Camshaft: Hydraulic roller
Cam Lift: .473” Intake / .473” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 215 deg. Intake / 223 deg. Exhaust

Lobe Separation: 112.5 Degree

I purchased a set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y Ceramic Coated headers.

Transmission is getting built next week. I'll be going through the transfer case this weekend.

Upon completion of all this work, truck will have an completely refurbished drive train, other than the front diff which I'll tackle in another phase of the project.

Obligatory photo to prove that it did happen, LOL
0829180736b.jpg

davkenrem

Observer
I went with a new 7.1L radiator and dual fans from a GMT800 needed to fab up a shroud. Picked up some radiator supports and the upper shroud from a gmt400 c3500 with a big block.

DSCF1069.JPGDSCF1068.JPGDSCF1070.JPG

I cut down the shroud and just used the portion that covers the top of the taller radiator. Bought a piece of aluminum angle iron and riveted it to the the top of the shroud. I drilled four holes in the top of the GMT 800 fan shroud and transfered them to the angle iron I then installed 4 1/4" rivnuts in the angle. I just through some 1" 1/4" bolts in to test fit it. Needs a slightly longer stainless bolt with a flange head and/or a washer. I'll pull it all out tomorrow and wash up the fans and paint the radiator clamps.

davkenrem

Observer
Had to send the new radiator back, the tranny cooler line fittings were an odd size and I could not find any adapters for them. Went to the wrecking yard and got the radiator from the C3500 I got the shroud and brackets from. It had a mfr date of 9/07 and was in pretty good shape. Can't beat it for $60 and a 90day warranty.

Got the headers on today, here are some pics. I couldn't find any decent photos of Doug Thorley Tri-Y installed so I took some. I can take more views if anyone needs them. I'll check the crossover pipe but I think it will need to be custom. DSCF1073.JPGDSCF1074.JPGDSCF1081.JPGDSCF1086.JPGDSCF1090.JPG

bowtieman55

I'm really enjoying your build-up and the fact that it's still happening. I'm reviving my '97 Yukon and this thread has helped a lot. (y)(y)

davkenrem

Observer
Getting close. Pulled the dash to replace the Heater Core and Evaporator Core. My Dash had some cracks in it so I got a Grey one from LKQ for $50.00 sprayed it Tan with 2 cans of Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. Looks great.1018181325.jpg1014181817.jpg1015181926.jpg

I'll be getting this portion wrapped up this week along with U-joints for the drive shafts. Hope to fire it on Saturday.

vargsmetal

I think it was this thread someone mentioned having trouble finding torsion bar relocators for this chassis. I went looking because I hadn't heard of it before, but it made perfect sense seeing the crossmember hanging down.

I found Realiftsusp.com still makes them, and I see they have a ton of good info on the GMT400/800 IFS there.

davkenrem

Observer
I think it was this thread someone mentioned having trouble finding torsion bar relocators for this chassis. I went looking because I hadn't heard of it before, but it made perfect sense seeing the crossmember hanging down.

I found Realiftsusp.com still makes them, and I see they have a ton of good info on the GMT400/800 IFS there.
The owner went through a divorce and had stopped producing them for a time. I stayed in touch with the owner since 2015 and was on the list to get a set when they started making them again. Production returned August 2017 and I recieved my set shortly afterwards. They really clean up a TB lift and increa ground clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94