Defender 90?

gjackson

FRGS
Yes indeed! Being debt free is a very good place to be. Unfortunately my trip through Africa ended up costing a bunch more than planned. Something to do with having to buy 2 Defender 110s to get 1, having to replace a transmission in the middle of the desert, etc. I am desperately trying to hold off planning until the debt is reduced, but I think there is a bunch closer to home to explore. I would love to do Central America and Baja. Heck, there are parts of Wyoming that could be very cool.

Patagonia would rock!

And by the way, you guys are NOT helping. . .

cheers

Graham

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
This post has exploded! My friend is looking into the TDI swap too. He is a huge fan of biodiesel. Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• P1240915.jpg
    P1240915.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 0

pangaea

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
This post has exploded! My friend is looking into the TDI swap too. He is a huge fan of biodiesel.

Sorry, we Land Rover guys tend to be a bunch of Chatty Kathy's :camping:

If your friend is looking to go crazy with biodiesel, and even maybe an SVO conversion, he should drop Craig Reece at Neoteric a line.

http://www.plantdrive.com/

He's a great guy and a fellow Roverphile. In fact he's got a Defender 100" (yes, 100, it's a Defender 90 stretched by 7") with a 300 Tdi that runs biodiesel and SVO.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pangaea said:
Aw shucks... Thanks. Scott turned me on to your site a couple of months ago, and I've been slowly going through it as well... quite nice. Looks like you've had some great trips.

gjackson said:
Bajataco,

... Your Tacoma looks pretty cool as well, and I love some of the pics on your site. Excellent stuff, and very informative.

Thanks so much guys. Here's to you :beer: Well, I started going through Graham's site and there are a lot of road logs to read and photos to look at :lurk: This will take awhile. Graham, did you ever weigh your 110 while it was loaded for the big Africa trip?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
gjackson said:
Heck, there are parts of Wyoming that could be very cool.

Graham

Oh, indeed there are!

An informed and observant traveler could go on a pseudo-North American safari in Wyoming. Mountain Lions, Bighorn Sheep, Gray Wolves, Grizzly Bear, wild Horses, Bison, Desert Elk, Pronghorns (Antelope), Moose, Eagles, etc. are all on hand and can be seen more often than one might think.

....sadly, no giraffes....:(

kcowyo

ExPo Original
If there are ever giraffes and camels in Wyoming, I swear to all that is Holy, that I will sell every Toyota I own and buy "Nanook" and do a Dormobile conversion.

I've had my eye on her for almost 2 years - :cool:

nan1.jpg

gjackson

FRGS
Graham, did you ever weigh your 110 while it was loaded for the big Africa trip?

No, I chickened out. I know I was *heavy*. Spent a lot of the trip trying to get rid of things we didn't need and also trying to stop my wife from collecting rocks!!

Maybe on the way to AZ I'll stop at a truck stop and get a weight.

cheers

Graham
www.africaoverland.org

Scott Brady

Founder
gjackson said:
Spent a lot of the trip trying to get rid of things we didn't need and also trying to stop my wife from collecting rocks!!

Will you be bringing her to AZ? Stephanie and your wife would get along great. Steph loves to collect rocks (she even has a rock polisher) and other ponderous items to bring back from distant lands...

Attachments

• 20130804_152047.jpg
    20130804_152047.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 722

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Well, my buddy the one that propted me to start this thread is looking into the TDI conversions from East coast rover co.

I was looking into the website... and now have a huge puddle of drool on my desk! Most of the conversions are ground up, including galvanized frames, lockers, and anything you could ever want.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Tdiconversions.html

99Final.jpg

pangaea

Adventurer
ECR definitely does great work, but they're a bit pricey and tend to be scheduled WAY out. Last I heard the soonest they could work on a big job was a year and a half out.

You can always check with Jim Pendelton of Pendy Imports/ soon to be Frontier Rovers. He's probably done more diesel conversions than anyone else in the states.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
gjackson said:
Spent a lot of the trip... trying to stop my wife from collecting rocks!!

:xxrotflma

I have done the same thing. The worst is when we are out on a backpack, miles and miles from the truck... and she asks me to carry rocks back for her! Big ones!

Too bad Connie can't make it. We'd love to meet her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles