FWC Fleet on Tacoma?

Rando

Explorer
I wonder how much of this difference in payload ratings is actually physics/engineering and how much is lawyering and market protection? What do you need to change on the Tacoma to get to the 3000lb payload rating of a Hilux? Obviously the springs, but what else?

It is really a shame because the payload on something like a defender pick up is 1165 kg. Why we in the US can't have a small pick up with lots of payload capacity is beyond me. I mean merc has vans with immense payload capacity, why not for a pick up?

Clutch

<---Pass
I wonder how much of this difference in payload ratings is actually physics/engineering and how much is lawyering and market protection? What do you need to change on the Tacoma to get to the 3000lb payload rating of a Hilux? Obviously the springs, but what else?

Mostly paper work, we used to change the GVWR (on paper) on some of our dump trucks so you didn't have to have a commercial license to to drive it.

http://www.worktruckonline.com/article/story/2008/03/re-rating-gvwr-why-and-how-it-s-done.aspx

Tacoma vs HiLux: Frame and springs are about the only thing. Rest of the vehicle shares many of the same drive train components.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I have 2000 pound helper springs and Timbren load stops on my Tacoma. It will handle a serious load and sit level. The four wheel camper I had briefly was no problem. The 98 steel folding chairs were heavier but still didn't phase the truck at all. It's a shame that these trucks, when stock can't even carry 200 pounds without almost sagging. I use my truck for work and it sees all kinds of loads, hay bales, folding tables and chairs (they are really heavy, when you have a lot of them) and everything in between. The 4 cylinder motor does fine and the brakes are more than up to the task. When you toss a trailer into the mix, it gets sad quick. That is where the larger displacement motor or deeper gears are needed. You can't have it all...

-jorge

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The midsized rigs with some mods seem to do ok for Single guys packing light. But everyone migrates to heavier trucks if they are hauling multiple people and associated stuff that comes with that.

2500/250 for hauling people, camper, and stuff. Seems to be the typical progression. Given I cant go full size due to space limitations. I've come to the conclusion something like the Tacomahabitat, is probably about Ideal as it gets. Can always tow a camp trailer set up for more weather resistant accomidations also.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That is a good point. However we'll have to wait to see how many of these Holden upgrades are actually compatible with the Chevy Colorado. The Holden Colorado and Chevy Colorado are very different vehicles, akin to the Tacoma vs the Hilux. I had the impression that upgrading the suspension was tricky based on the posting from a guy on WtW who was having a hard time of finding upgrades to cary his Fleet.

OK the unofficial work I got back from ARB is that they have an in house engineer in North America who will be developing product specific to the Chevy Colorado. They are also very hopeful that the existing products they have internationally will also fit.

This is great news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior