1995 SR fiddle thread

fishrat

Checked it, no play thankfully.

It's all back together and running like a top, with the exception of the alternator. Which I suspect is the source of my guage problems and is now able to drain a fully charged battery in under half an hour.

I'm taking a gamble on an AC Delco rebuild, I won't be terribly upset if it takes a couple tries to get a decent one.

Trans flush and new fender are next on the list for this weekend.

fishrat

Passenger side door wouldn't open fully due to bashed in fender

Lots going on under that fender.

'round n' back again kindly offered to let me come grab a fender off an SR that he is tearing down to fix up his gen 1 monty. Really nice guy, and cool truck.

Now she's tri-color and all doors open and close as they should.

I plan to bedliner the skirts and may eventually paint the door and fender to match the car, but that is last on the priority list.

Last edited:

RyanY

Adventurer
Checked it, no play thankfully.

I'm taking a gamble on an AC Delco rebuild, I won't be terribly upset if it takes a couple tries to get a decent one.

You'll be better off in the long run if you find a shop to rebuild your original alternator (assuming it's still an OEM alternator) rather than going with an aftermarket rebuild. Finding "a decent one" isn't usually the problem, it's the frequency with which they end up needing to be replaced that ends up being extremely frustrating.

fishrat

You'll be better off in the long run if you find a shop to rebuild your original alternator (assuming it's still an OEM alternator) rather than going with an aftermarket rebuild. Finding "a decent one" isn't usually the problem, it's the frequency with which they end up needing to be replaced that ends up being extremely frustrating.

Unfortunately it already has an aftermarket unit in it. The forum member who gave me the fender offered the alternator from the truck he is parting as well. Sounds like I should take him up on that.

RyanY

Adventurer
The same wisdom applies to the OEM radiator - repairing or rodding the original is preferable to replacing it with a cheap aftermarket one that won't last as long or cool as well.

fishrat

I've been out of town for the last month and have neglected the monty. But I had a couple extra minutes today and I managed to solve a problem which has been particularly vexing. Replacing the alternator straightened out the dash indicators, (maybe the brake light), and voltage gauge flickering. However, my oil pressure gauge still behaved very oddly. On start-up it would go straight to 60 and then down to 0 immediately. On a car with 150k miles and unknown service history, I found this concerning. Well, I am happy to report that someone had replaced the oil pressure sender with light only sender. I'm guessing the alternator issue fooled them into thinking the oil sender was broken and they didn't read the fine print when they went to order a new one. Installed the correct sender and oil pressure is perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior