Back up lights LED replacement bulbs?

fortel

Adventurer
At some point I'll probably get around to wiring some LEDs to the back of my cargo basket for extra illumination when camping, etc. but in the short run I'm thinking about trying to improve the light output of the OEM reverse light bulbs on my 2012 Frontier for simple everyday things like backing into parking spots at night, etc. Has anyone replaced theirs with aftermarket LED bulbs that work well for you and if so which bulbs? There's lots of options out there and I'm just trying to narrow the field. And am I correct that the Frontier does not require the CAN bus bulbs? Thanks for any info you can share.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Great question!! I am also looking for some replacement bulbs for my 2016 (assume they would be the same). Its no fun backing up with a topper in the dark. ha

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've done this on my mustang and on my blazer. I definitely recommended. Just figure out what your reverse light buld is and find a LED version.

fortel

Adventurer
Yeah, I know the bulb number I need and its easy enough to figure out if some of the oversize bulbs will fit the housing or not, but I'm trying to wade through options of lumens vs. price...don't want to drop $20+ per bulb like some of the superbright options if they really are not that much brighter in real world use than a bulb half the price. I know there is only so much light I will get out of the stock housing.

colodak

Adventurer
I order all mine from Superbrightleds.com I've converted all my exterior lights, except headlights and fog lights to LED, I went with the brightest backup bulbs I could find, but really am not happy with them. Mine are supplemented with a set of 6" LED bars, attached to the underside of the bumper, tucked to the hitch. I went though several different bulbs, including some of ebay that are supposed to be brighter than the superbright ones. The issue is simply, they are designed for a small bulb, not a large bulb like brake light, as such the small LED's for filling that size space are underwhelming. Even the directional bulbs only do so much.

fortel

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep pondering and maybe will try a midprice replacement just to help a little.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I got a set from VLED's, as well I got the brightest one's available. While they're crazy bright and very, very visible, for lighting up the area they're not a huge improvement. I'll probably do the flush pod lights in the rear bumper corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior