anyone build sleeping/drawer system with 1" square aluminum?

rc51kid

Adventurer
I think i am going to use 1" square aluminum tubing and connectors to build the basic frame of my new platform. Right now i have a simple system made from 2"x2" wood frame and skinned with thin 1/4 or 3/8 plywood. Has worked great. But i want to change the height a little and i think the aluminum will be much better. I do have a few questions. Specifically will one companys connectors work with another companies 1" tubing? Also what thickness and what brands did people use? I just started looking into this. So any or all info about this will be great.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Take a look at the MASSIVE thread on sleeping platforms - most every option including this one has been touched on. Be patient - there are LOTS of pages to read through

rayra

Expedition Leader
1" would certainly work but it's overkill just like 3/4" ply. You'll be losing a lot of cubic inches of storage room, if you build a drawer inside of a framework of 1" tubing.

There's a lot of variety and ingenuity in the home-brewed systems here, but a lot of them waste 5-10% of the vehicle storage volume with the way they are designed.

nalshort

I built a DIY storage setup for the back of a Jeep JKU recently using square aluminum tubing. Cut down on a ton of weight vs. 2X4 framing. Best advice I can give is to source the tubing as well as the connectors from the same supplier. I bought my tubing locally and the connectors online. Low and behold the connectors were too big. I didn't want to spend more money so I ended up having to shave down each one individually with a grinder. Extremely tedious task to say the least! I can't post any pic's as I am away at work currently, sorry I can't be of more help!

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
I have been working on a storage drawer/K-9 Kennel/fridge slide over the past few weeks. At this point I am keeping it bare wood until I am sure everything is just how I want it, then I will paint it. The only thing I need to change at this moment is the fridge slide, since 1/4" plywood worked so well with the box I thought it would support the weight of the fridge. Wrong. So I'm going with .125 aluminum plate instead. The entire setup is lightweight, and I can take it out of my Jeep in about 10 minutes.

I sourced my tube from eztube.com and I utilized 1/4" birch plywood.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
That looks very similar to what you'd get from Goose Gear. I mean that in a good way.

At a fraction of the cost! But in all honesty, it is still expensive. I probably have $500 in the project. Looking at the Goose Gear products it is apparent they spend a lot of time in refinement and getting it perfect. They were my inspiration.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
That's a lot of wasted space......
I would go with aluminum drawers and aluminum or steel housing to house everything together...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior