Ford or Ram?

p nut

butter
There are many, many people running a 4wc in the bed of Power Wagons. No one has ever had an issue. There were 2 people who did it/have done it/are doing it full time all across the country . Hell, one even has a blog about it. 3" lift, 37's, Aluminess bumpers. It is a white 4th gen.

Same frame (actually stronger-more cross members), same axles (minus the lockers), same brakes, same tires. Not sure what you think won't hold up. I am not saying to grossly overload it at all, but there is a huge difference in carrying loads & carrying loads safely. The 1 ton helper springs helped my truck carry it's max load MUCH more safely & was MUCH easier to drive it at max load. 3rd Gen PW's actually have the 1 ton axle shafts inside the 10.5"AAM 14 bolt. They are 1.53" vs the 1.23" of a reg 2500 10.5"AAM 14 bolt.

If your truck is level in the rear at max load (or even a little above level), it makes it a world better to drive vs it squatted to the ground & your headlights pointing at the tree tops.

I used to think collective intelligence never failed. Then the election happened.
_
I won't say that I've never gone over max payload, but I try to avoid it if I can. If I were buying a 3/4 ton and towing/hauling needs exceeded PW specs, I would probably shy away from it. Despite the fact many have done it without incident, I've got my risk tolerances, and that's one area I don't feel comfortable playing in.

smlobx

Wanderer
I guess for every person you ask you'll get a different opinion so I guess I'll add my $0.02 cents!

I am a Ford guy and you can see in my signature what I just bought. A couple of random thoughts...

1. If you're only driving 13 miles each way every day I'm not sure a diesel is your best choice although I have one...
2. While I love my 6.7 it is generally recognized that the Cummins is the best motor (it's just the rest of the truck that has problems ��)
3. The power wagon is probably the best off road factory rig but the payload is a serious issue for me. Please keep in mind that ALL these campers weigh more than they state once you include the options, water etc. This is the reason I ended up getting a F-350 instead of the F-250.
4. The camper certification (at least for Ford) is just a rear sway bar and the use of 18" wheels instead of 20's so it's an easy fix. Keep in mind that most truck campers weigh 2-4K and it's not as big of a deal with our pop ups.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

IPA

Observer
There are many, many people running a 4wc in the bed of Power Wagons. No one has ever had an issue. There were 2 people who did it/have done it/are doing it full time all across the country . Hell, one even has a blog about it. 3" lift, 37's, Aluminess bumpers. It is a white 4th gen.

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier 4th gen PW (up to 2014 or 2015?) had a much higher payload rating than the current ones. Like 2800# or something like that vs the current 1500#. So really big difference.

Same frame (actually stronger-more cross members), same axles (minus the lockers), same brakes, same tires. Not sure what you think won't hold up. I am not saying to grossly overload it at all, but there is a huge difference in carrying loads & carrying loads safely.

I'm not worrying about it holding up - I'm worried about the issues that I explained in my last post. I would love a PW, but I'm just not a fan of the idea of spending over $40k on a truck that the manufacturer says shouldn't be used for what I plan on using it for.

Flhtruss

Observer
If your a costco member the partner with some dealers. Contact Costco they will tell you who the work with. We went with the f250 Superduty gas motor. Recent trip 17mpg at 75mph Hwy,combined commute 12mpg constant no load. Like the truck a lot over the dodge we saw. Emissions are killing fuel mileage and power. 10 years from now you might want something new. Diesel operating and repair costs are expensive, not worth it if you are not pulling heavy loads.
Best of luck I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.
Russ

birdiecat

I purchased 2016 ford f 250 gasser in the spring and put a palomino ss 1251 popup in the back of the truck. advertised weight is around 1750 lbs.when the camper is fully loaded it weights in at 2600 lbs. for the truck to sit level it calls for air bags. On a 13000 mile trip from new brunswick canada to california and back I averaged 11 to 13 mpg. But the truck handles the camper very well and at this time I am sitting in Georgia on my way home for christmas and the truck has not complained once. just my 2 cents worth.

p nut

butter
I purchased 2016 ford f 250 gasser in the spring and put a palomino ss 1251 popup in the back of the truck. advertised weight is around 1750 lbs.when the camper is fully loaded it weights in at 2600 lbs. for the truck to sit level it calls for air bags. On a 13000 mile trip from new brunswick canada to california and back I averaged 11 to 13 mpg. But the truck handles the camper very well and at this time I am sitting in Georgia on my way home for christmas and the truck has not complained once. just my 2 cents worth.

Wow, almost 1,000 lbs added when fully loaded? Seems like a lot. What's your payload? 11-13MPG isn't bad considering the weight/aero of that big honking camper on your truck.

STREGA

Explorer
I know the OP mention that he wasn't interested in a cab\chassis but others might want to consider it. I wanted a PW in the worst way but no mater how much I tried to make one work out for my needs it wouldn't in fact not even close. 1500lbs payload and 10k towing killed it for me.

I'am a full time RV'er and need to be able to tow around a 12.5K lb bumper pull trailer and need around 3k lb payload. I ended up getting a 2016 Ram 3500 reg cab 4x4 cab/chassis in a Tradesman package, SRW, 6.4L Hemi and a 6 speed Aisin auto transmission. Other bonus items include 4.44 axle ratio and manual shift transfer case. I also wanted a flatbed so buying a pick up only to remove the bed was a waste. Also the cab/chassis has flat rails which make mounting a flatbed super easy compared to the frame rails on a regular pick up truck. Cab/chassis frames are a bit stronger also. The only way to get a Hemi and Aisin trans combo is with a cab/chassis.

Payload is close to 4K lbs and tow rating is at 17,680K lbs, GCWR is 24K lbs which checked all my need boxes. So far I have been averaging 13 mpg with no load, which I don't feel is to bad for a truck with these capabilities.

Last edited:

birdiecat

Wow, almost 1,000 lbs added when fully loaded? Seems like a lot. What's your payload? 11-13MPG isn't bad considering the weight/aero of that big honking camper on your truck.

when you include two people, food, clothing,plus propane,20 gallons of water it doesn't take long to add up.

p nut

butter
when you include two people, food, clothing,plus propane,20 gallons of water it doesn't take long to add up.

I didn't know you included passenger weight. 500lbs or so seems more realistic for cargo, so that seems about right.

Paddy

Adventurer
I would never own a diesel newer than about 2008 myself for any reason, but I definitely wouldn't recommend a modern diesel to anyone that doesn't absolutely need one. Modern diesels are much more complicated and expensive to operate than a gas engine. Save yourself the aggravation and go gas. Unless you're mentally ill lkke me and always stand by the diesel vehicles in any lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz