My 2001 Discovery Mod Thread

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
PCRover said:
The CarPC is fantastic, well worth the cost and effort. No write up yet, but I am working on one and will post it when I can.

Is that an AMPIE case?

justfred

Adventurer
Center Diff Lock?

In your mods, you didn't list "Center Diff Lock". Have you done it? Did your D2 have the old transfer case?

I'm looking for a transfer case cover to put mine (2002) back to the way it should have been built to begin with, but I'm afraid it'll cost me more than it'll end up being worth - I don't run on sand and boulders that much in this vehicle (I use the Pinzgauer for that). But somehow it feels not-right not to have the CDL.

PCRover

Adventurer
Is that an AMPIE case?

Yes it is an Ampie case. It works well and is quite compact, and not very expensive.

Here is a better picture.

101805098.jpg

PCRover

Adventurer
In your mods, you didn't list "Center Diff Lock". Have you done it? Did your D2 have the old transfer case?

Somehow I missed listing that one.... Yes, the transfer case had the nipple on it when I bought the truck. I purchased an '04 CDL cable kit and installed it right after I got the truck. Works great!

It would be expensive to add CDL to a case that doesn't have it. The decision should be based on what your long term useage of the truck would be.

Last edited:

PCRover

Adventurer
It was time to organize the cargo area of my Disco as I was tired of stuff gettting piled on the Engel while on the trail perventing quick access to it. I have also been toying the idea of an auxillary battery and an on-board air compressor. The solution needed to protect the Engel and also allow me to add an auxillary battery and on-board air compressor and store gear above it.

What I came up with is a box sized to fit the Engels width and height going the full depth of teh cargo area. There was enough room behind the Engel to mount an Optima Battery with fuse, 12V air compressor, and hot air exhaust fan. Along the left side I mounted two switches (Fan and Compressor power) two air pressure guages, air regulator, and quick connect fitting. The Aux battery is connected to the main battery via #2ga cable and a 250A relay which allows me to connect or seperate the two batteries at will or automatically. The Engel is mounted on a Engel Transit Mount which is mounted to a pair of slides I purchased from Mcmaster-Carr.
One small planned addition is some tie down anchors for the area on top of the box for securing gear etc.

So far it seems to be a good solution for my needs, but I need to get out on the trails to find out for sure.

trayopen.JPG

boxintcloseup.JPG

Air Compressor with valve and fitting to allow future frame mounted air tank.

compcloseup.JPG

Fan to exhaust hot air from the compressor and Engel.

fan.JPG

Light on switch to show fan status.

fanlight.JPG

Engel access is easy now.

engelout.JPG

engelopen.JPG

My every day gear.

Loaded.JPG

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Gary,
I'm continuously impressed with your rig and the quality of workmanship you put into it! Is the box easily removable in order to access the battery or coompressor or to increase storage space for when not offroad?

Hope I'm not prying too much but what is all your everyday stuff in the bags and cases, Offroad or Work related?

Also very much looking forward to seeing more details on your carputer!

david despain

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
Wow Gary,
I'm continuously impressed with your rig and the quality of workmanship you put into it! Is the box easily removable in order to access the battery or coompressor or to increase storage space for when not offroad?

X2 your mods are well thought out and even more well executed!

my question is what type/brand/where did u get the relay? i have been looking for a continous duty relay that heavy duty and cant find one thats not a couple hundred dollars.

PCRover

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
Wow Gary,

Thanks for the nice words!

The whole thing slides right out after removal of the power cables. It is not something you would want to do very often though. It would probably take 15 minutes to get it out and easily a one person job.

Hope I'm not prying too much but what is all your everyday stuff in the bags and cases, Offroad or Work related?

I work in Telecommunications field and carry misc test equipment and tools. Half of the space is taken up with my recovery gear bag and another bag full of misc truck stuff. A small jack, tie downs, and other stuff that escapes me right now.

Sorry I have been distracted with that other project. I will get more details on the carputer when I return next week from the Holiday weekend trip to the mountains.

PCRover

Adventurer
david despain said:
X2 your mods are well thought out and even more well executed!

my question is what type/brand/where did u get the relay? i have been looking for a continous duty relay that heavy duty and cant find one thats not a couple hundred dollars.

It is a Painless Wiring relay. Rated 250A continuous. Cost me around $70 from Summit Racing. I believe this is the one I bought Relay Kit I didn't use the wire they provided though. The kit is labled as an alternator cutout but it is the same relay they use in there Battery systems. I bought the kit just for the relay as they didn't offer it seperately and I didn't want the whole battery kit which is more expensive.

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Hey Gary,

Just curious what are your impressions of the RTE rear bumper?

Also would you mind taking some shots from the underside so I can see some mounting points and how far in the quater panel skids go???

Thanks
:eatchicke

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Hi Gary, just noticed you are a local SFBA! I just moved to San Jose, but my sister lives in the area. I knew I recognized some of the building in your pics. Not to mention Alameda De La Pulgas that runs through San Carlos, Belmont, Hillsborough, etc...

NICE TRUCK!

What air compressor are you using? That would be a great addition to my truck!

DBS311

Adventurer
Compressor looks like the MV-50 or MF-1050 (same exact compressor). I just bought the Q89 which is basically mating two MV-50's into one. It works really well and airs up my 37x12.50's from 15-35 psi in just over a minute and a half (per tire).

Great little compressors for a good price.

PCRover

Adventurer
Some how I missed this, still want the info?

FourByLand said:
Hey Gary,

Just curious what are your impressions of the RTE rear bumper?

Also would you mind taking some shots from the underside so I can see some mounting points and how far in the quater panel skids go???

Thanks
:eatchicke

PCRover

Adventurer
Sory for teh BIG delay in this post....

It is a MV50 which I believe are no longer availalble.

ZooJunkie said:
Hi Gary, just noticed you are a local SFBA! I just moved to San Jose, but my sister lives in the area. I knew I recognized some of the building in your pics. Not to mention Alameda De La Pulgas that runs through San Carlos, Belmont, Hillsborough, etc...

NICE TRUCK!

What air compressor are you using? That would be a great addition to my truck!

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
Gary's truck is the cat's meow! He's got more stuff attached to it than I would have ever thought of. :coffee:

He and I do a lot of off-roading together, both in northern CA and northern NV. It was really cool to be able to call home on his satellite phone when we were about halfway along on our 670 mile Trans-Nevada-Trek (There are no cell phone towers along the northern strip of Nevada between California and Utah. :1888fbbd: BTW: THe trek was posted here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2468

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles