My 2001 Discovery Mod Thread

PCRover

Adventurer
Here is my truck, a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II purchased stock last year. This picture isn't current as I have since removed the roof rack.

P3112349.JPG

Picture of interior and some of the electronics on board.

101805085.jpg

Mods / Additions
* Bearmach Big Blue 3″ Front Springs
* Bearmach Big Blue 3″ Rear Springs + 1″ Spacer
* ARB Air Lockers front and rear
* GBR HD Rear Drive Shaft
* Rebuilt DII Front Driveshaft with greasable Ujoints
* +2″ ProComp ES3000’s
* +2″ ProComp ES3000’s
* OME Steering Stabilizer
* ARB Mini Compressor for Air Lockers
* Slickrock Fabrication Sliders
* TJM T-15 Front Bumper with Winch tray
* Superwinch X9 Winch with Synthetic Line
* Aluminum Fairlead
* Rovertym Stainless Steel Brake Lines
* 285-75/16 BFG At TA/KO Tires
* Safety Devices Roof Rack
* QT Front and rear Diff Guards
* Rovertym Steel Rear Bumper
* DAP Gas Tank Guard
* 2 Hella 4000 Cornering Lights, Bumper Mounted
* Sylvania Silverstar halogen headlight lamps
* Engel Fridge/Frezer
* CAR PC with Touch Screen for GPS and Topo, MP3, XM
* Motorola CDM1250 VHF Two Way Radio
* Motorola CDM1250 UHF Two Way Radio
* Bearcat 976D scanner
* Radio Power Manager
* Painless Wiring 250A battery combining relay
* Dual Optima Batteries
* Power Tank C02 System
* 12V-120VAC Inverter

More pictures here of the exterior and interior setup.

I hope to share more pictures and ideas in this thread.

Scott Brady

Founder
Perfect. Now I have a spot to ask some ???'s

I was working with my Xenarc touch screen tonight, and while effective when stopped, I couldn't work it well while driving (which I shouldn't be anyways). But, I have a thumbwheel mouse, which is working well, and would like to get a good keyboard. What are you using/recommend?

Also, a little info on your carputer would be great too. :bowdown:

PCRover

Adventurer
I'll put together something on the Carputer setup soon.

I had similar issues with the TouchScreen until I discovered a Software front end called RoadRunner. With this software I have built custom screens to deal with what ever applications I use. GPS,XM,RADIO,WEATHER,Email,WEB etc. It makes it possible to use the touch screen without driving off the road. I'll post a couple of screen shots later.

You can find more info here on the RoadRunner Front End.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Gary,

I really like your website. I just spent the last hour or so exploring all the pages. I got a kick out of the Rover 10 commandments.
I have off topic questions...Did the TnT already happen? When is it scheduled? Who planned the route?

Your Rover is very nice and well thought out. I like your trailer too. Any thoughts or comments on how you like pulling a trailer around so far?

Lastly, sorry coffee is kicking in, are you in San Carlos? Saw in your pic? If so I am just across the fwy by SDSU...We should get together some time.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Love the CarPC! That is on my list of to do's! DO you have a write up of your build?

Looks great man!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Gary!
Great looking rig!!;)

Question about your QT diff guards. Did you mount them yourself?

I also have a 2001 DII, and SE7, modified.
I bought a set of QT guards and the rear guard bolted up just fine but the front has given me trouble. It is still not on yet.
I contacted QT and after lots of pictures and measurements it was reolized that they make one spec of guard but the Discovery IIs have one of two different axles. I'm not sure about the specifics but apparently my axle differential is larger than most so the QT guard won't fit as it has been designed. The axles are stock LR DII axles. I am going to have to trim a bit off the guard to make it fit.

Have you ever heard about this before, the guard issue or the axle issue?

Thanks
Brian

PCRover

Adventurer
.Did the TnT already happen? When is it scheduled? Who planned the route?

We have our group of trucks set and the trip is planned for mid Sept. The route was selected by Rocky who has posted a couple of trip reports on this site.

Your Rover is very nice and well thought out. I like your trailer too. Any thoughts or comments on how you like pulling a trailer around so far?

The trailer has just recently reached a point in it's build to allow me to use it on a trip. Last weekend I pulled it a couple of hundred miles, most on the highway and it was great. It is light enough to not really notice I am pulling anything utill I come to a grade where it does effect acceleration. The liitle off road time on it was pulling it into a campground on relatively smooth dirt roads so ican't comment yet on it's true off road worthyness. The tent worked great and was very comfortable. I will get more trail time with it over the summer and will report back my findings. Sounds like I need to start a trailer thread.

Lastly, sorry coffee is kicking in, are you in San Carlos? Saw in your pic? If so I am just across the fwy by SDSU...We should get together some time.

The San Carlos you will find me in is the one in NorCal, about 20 minutes north of San Jose. I'll take you up on your offer if I get down your way. I may be taking a trip to Anza Borrego in November, which is sort of near you.

PCRover

Adventurer
Love the CarPC! That is on my list of to do's! DO you have a write up of your build?

The CarPC is fantastic, well worth the cost and effort. No write up yet, but I am working on one and will post it when I can.

PCRover

Adventurer
Question about your QT diff guards. Did you mount them yourself?

Yes, no problems mounting them. I opted to not weld the front tabs as I am a poor welder and didn't see the need for the tabs anyway.

.....the Discovery IIs have one of two different axles. I'm not sure about the specifics but apparently my axle differential is larger than most so the QT guard won't fit as it has been designed. The axles are stock LR DII axles. I am going to have to trim a bit off the guard to make it fit.

Have you ever heard about this before. the guard issue or the axle issue?

Diferent sized axle housings? This doesn't seem right to me. I will ask some friends that know more about this than I do. I have not heard of anyone having mounting issues, but my exposure is limited as I have only seen a couple of DII's with them.

Where exactly is the problem on the guard?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that the guard is too short. If you bolt it up to the back of the 3rd member as it should be the front two mounting fins fit right snug up agains the front of the axle housing. There should be a 1/2 - 3/4 inch gap between these fins and the housing in order to weld on the mounting tabs.

The way it is now there is no room to weld the tabs on and if you could weld them on the holes woul not light up.

I spoke to 4x4 adventure gear where I bought them and they could not figure it out. SO I spoke directly to QT via email, about 10 email back and forth. I took pictures of the guard, measurements and as much info as I could provide them. They have encountered the problem before but not enought to make a guard with different specs.

My plan is to
1- Elongate the holes on the QT guard where it mounts to the 3rd member
2- trim a little bit off of the mounting fins on the front of the guard

Then again If you have had no problem with it not being welded on then I may just keep it as is and not worry about making adjustments in order to weld the tabs.

Have you put yours to the test yet (hit it on anything!)? How did it do without the welded tabs?

Brian

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
This is too much fun!

Gary,
How did you mount up the fuel can to your spare tire carrier?
I saw the pics on your site of the "fuel can carrier for the Freelander"
Did you use the same set up for the DII?

Who makes and where did you find the silver bracket/clamp devise that holds the can?
How does the rear door do with all the added weight, any sign of premature wear on the hinges?

Thanks
Brian

PCRover

Adventurer
Have you put yours to the test yet (hit it on anything!)? How did it do without the welded tabs?

If you look at the design it is a skid plate along with a guard. Most hits on the guard will be deflected and the skid will slide over the obstacle. A direct hit high up on the guard where the tabs are will be very rare. Even if you take hit there the guard still protects the diff, it just gives a little. If someone takes a hit that high up hard enough to bend that guard back enough to hit the diff, they are doing some real hardcore obstacles or there driving technique needs some work. Having some flex in that guard is arguably better than a hard welded "sewer cap" type as some have reported damage to the diff welds in the area the "sewer cap" is welded onto it.

I have fabed up a aluminum strap that goes from one tab hole on the guard over the diff cap and then to the other tab hole. After many trail runs and a few crapes, it really seems unnecessary.

Of course it is always best to follow the Mfg's installation instructions, but so far I have had no trouble with the guard even though I am not using the welded tabs. Later this summer I will be doing some trails with serious obstacles in the Sierras (Rubicon, Slick rock, Blue Lakes) which will be the ultimate test. I'll report back if I experience any problems.

Remember YMMV.....

PCRover

Adventurer
How did you mount up the fuel can to your spare tire carrier?
I saw the pics on your site of the "fuel can carrier for the Freelander"
Did you use the same set up for the DII?

Yes, it is the same technique. I flat plate with three threaded rods spaced to feed through the spares spokes. On those rods cross brackets are atttached and then the can carrier is mounted to the cross braces. It is VERY stout and handles the can with fuel or water with ease.

Who makes and where did you find the silver bracket/clamp devise that holds the can?

The can and carrier are made by Blitz. Can and carrier.

How does the rear door do with all the added weight, any sign of premature wear on the hinges?

The door handles the weight no problem, but be aware on side hills as if it hits you in teh back it hurts! My door is extra heavy as I have a 33" spare on it along with the can carrier, but no issues so far handling the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles