Need shipping crate for vacation

cdogg44

I am taking a trip with the family to Colorado skiing after Christmas. We have accumulated a lot of gear over the years including boots and helmets for both adults. Now that we're taking our daughter this year, it's gotten to the point that we can no longer fit everything into bags on the airplane. I'm looking for some type of plastic crate (with wheels!!!) that is stout enough to ship UPS from Arkansas to Colorado and back. On our last trip when we bought the boots we had to ship them back via USPS and even being double boxed and fully taped the box looked like Ace Ventura had delivered it to my door.

What I don't need is a $450 Pelican, but a sturdy box that is lockable and has wheels for easy transport. I've looked around on the internet but have been unable to find anything that isn't a $450 Pelican.

Approximate interior size 18"x18"x18" would be great but a rectangle box would work just as easily as a square box.

Thank you

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Craig's list/for sale/musical instruments

Use the search terms "road case" or "anvil case".

cdogg44

Craig's list/for sale/musical instruments

Use the search terms "road case" or "anvil case".

This is very helpful. Although at the moment there are not any that meet my needs (the organ case is cool though!) but it gives me a place to look.

Any other recommendations are helpful and much appreciated!!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
you won't find a more reasonable deal than a road / roadie case. I can't hardly build a similarly sturdy box for less money.

PTB

Observer
The other day I was in a FedEx store and they had a cardboard and plastic (I think) crate that looked sort of like the old steamer trunks. They said it was designed for multiple use shipping. I have no idea the price and didn't handle it so I didn't judge how sturdy. I think they called it cubox or something similar.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Try looking for bicycle shipping cases. No personal experience with using one. But seems like they should be robust enough for ski gear.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I will agree that anvil cases and "roadie" style cases are the way to go. but they can get pricey, way more than a Pelican. But keep an eye out on Ebay for bargain Pelicans. I scored a used Pelican 1690 for 200 bucks not too long ago to use as a truck box that was easily removable.

bbaker22

Not sure if this will meet your needs, but I bought this 25 gallon Husky rolling tool box to transport ski boots from my house to my condo in the back of truck. I had back surgery recently and got tired of trying to lug around 4 pair of ski boots (2 kids, 2 adults) in a box.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-35-in-Mobile-Job-Box-222167/205053257

Rolling boot box by Brad Baker, on Flickr

They also have a 50 gallon version, but I figured I wouldn't want to be lifting that sucker in and out of the back of my truck.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-Utility-Cart-Black-209261/203668066

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior