Rear overhang in North America

Ramdough

Adventurer
Anyone know the max rear extension I can have in North America?

I have been using google, but only found one example in California. 2/3 of wheelbase from last support. I am not sure what constitutes a support on a 6x6. Center of rear leaf springs or rear most tire or frame end.

I plan to register in Montana probably. Probably will only travel US and Canada.

I know max height is 13.5 ft and width 8 ft appear to be standard with a few exceptions.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Will is be a licensed as a commercial rig?

If so, it must follow federal DOT

If not, it will be up to local (MT) DMV

Also, "overhang" normally is in reference to a "load"

If you are talking about an RV, much of that is out the window and non-applicable.

Only thing really applicable with regards to vehicle overhang is location of things like tail/brake lights and bumpers.

Ramdough

Adventurer
It will be registered as an RV.

Also, the tail lights can be moved to the back of the camper.

The bumper is tbd.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So long as your overall length isnt a concern, you should be good to go.

Id just call the local DMV to verify.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
RV rules are pretty forgiving.

12060532983738749.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wonder if there is a universal list somewhere for USA.

Every state is slightly different. I remember seeing a document that summarized what each state had (bumper heights, etc) but can't put my finger on it. May have been by RVIA.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I believe that reciprocity would imply that if the requirements of the state of registration are met, then you can legally drive in the other 49 states. Is that correct?

Thanks!

corrupt

Observer
In AUS its 60% from the center of the rear axle or rear axle group, so its a different overhang behind the rear wheel depending if its a 4x4 or a 6x6.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I talked to a friend of mine in California, and he said the overhang requirements for commercial vehicles do not apply to RV's but you do need to move your tail lights back so that they are close to the rear most area.

Coachgeo

Explorer
What is your offroad desires? you can have shiat more overhang legally than you can have overhang that won't quickly tear up your camper box when you go thru a ditch/gully offroad.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Well, I plan on having around 40 degree departure angle, but the camper box roof will be about 8' above the 5' bed height, so I can stick out a lot with a sloping back end.

So, with that in mind, I could clear a lot of different obstacles (but trees and other height restrictions). I do plan to have a design that can handle a rougher trail than I actually would want to take with a box on the back. I prefer to compromise capability as little as possible. Right now my current design has about 63" hanging past the rear tire edges with my spare tires mounted to the back wall behind that.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just have decent lights on the back, you should be ok. I've seen so many weird and blatant License plate violations the past couple of yrs that haven't attracted attention as long as you have goid lighting on the back side your ok.

There is a car around the corner going on 7yrs on paper dealer plates and yet to be towed it bugs the **** out a me l, given its less than 30ft from my kids school. Last weekend I saw a whole new level of ******? Big infinity SUV sporting a flat screen rear CA license plate. What caught my attention was that it was a black blank plate parked. But later I saw them driving by and it was lit up and looked just like a CA plate? ******? People like that piss me off... They deserve to get their car towed.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Well, I did not want to break the law....... that is why I asked the question here. I plan to be be able to travel to 49 states and Canada, right now, so I wanted to ask the group if they knew of a legal limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles