Disabled Explorer Continental Divide Expedition July 5th-27th

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
sorry I didn't get an update on here before now...we are in Rawlins, WY stopped early today for showers, swiming for the kids and internet access.
We are about to do the shower, swim, dinner thing then I will get some pics & reports posted.
I ask my wife to post to AZFJ since most of the help notices went there...
it was an accidental button press due to dark, thinking I was holding down on/off for 5 sec and HELP being right next to it...of course that is how long you have to hold down HELP also :)
watch for updates tonight...

travel dodge

Adventurer
looks like you are soon to be in my neck of the woods,,outside of steamboat springs co,, let me know if you need anything.
john

1leglance

Thanks John,
so far we are doing great with faith & luck we will keep it that way...Michael the other amputee is checking at auto parts places along the route for a replacement shock on his military trailer (it is ok just leaking oil) and my wife is shipping stuff to our planned hotel in Ouray (our resupply depot and 5 day stop at the FJ Summit).
We will be in Steamboat the morning of the 15th if you are around (txt any thoughts to Six 02 4 five 1 6079) and camping somewhere north of there the night before.
Thanks again...that is what is great about the expo crowd!

1leglance

CDE July 9 Day 5 Glacier to Priest Pass

Leaving Glacier was tough, Avalanche Campground was great and the area is beautiful, however the rest of the Continental Divide journey beckoned. The way south went quite a ways on asphalt and we were still aired down from our dirt adventures. This can lead to problems as an aired down tire will run hotter, and combined with hot blacktop can lead to sidewall blowouts. Of which Mike had one! But it was an easy tire change and my Extreme Outback onboard air system had us aired up super quick so we were on the road in no time. We just needed to keep an eye out for a used tire to act as Mike's new spare.

We were working with great waypoints thanks to the AdvRider guys and Mark at www.bigdogadventures.com but it also helped to come across a fun sign like this. We actually had a chance to chat with the family that made this sign, turns out they let bike riders camp, and they help do bike repair. The back country is filled with great folks like this whom you just don't meet on the interstate.

gdtmakersmall.jpg

Much of the northern section of the Continental Divide route could be renamed Tunnel of Trees. but that made these shelf roads with the views they brought much more exciting.

shelfroadsmall.jpg

Of course it seems that with all the logging activity in the area someone figured the "Tunnel of Trees" just wasn't wide enough so they came through with what seemed to be a sideways lawnmower on steroids. You can see the results! Very strange.

roadtrimmersmall.jpg

Long treks on dirt roads works up quite a hunger but lucky for us there were plenty of places to stop. Lunch beside a rustic wood bridge and babbling brook just can't be beat.

lunchroadsmall.jpg

Seely Lake was our next gas stop in the afternoon and with this ice cream shop calling us we had to make a stop. Somehow ice cream on an expedition taste much better than at home.

seelyicecreamsmall.jpg

The back country takes you over not just dirt road and by great ranches and homesteads but you also get to cross bridges that seem to have stood the test of time, and maybe a flood or two.

bridgesmall.jpg

The changing geography we are seeing on this journey stands out all the more because of the miles we are covering. But beyond just the land we are getting to see some strange manmade structures, like this door in the side of a hill. I am sure whatever is behind it is just as interesting. And believe it or not we spotted quite a few of these "hobbit" abodes.

hilldoorsmall.jpg

One of the places that had really jumped out at me in various trip reports was Empire Mine. I have to say this area was really well preserved and would not last long in our native Arizona. Glad to see folks passing through here respect the history and leave all of it alone.

minemetalsmall.jpg

One of our last Continental Divide crossings of the day was on Priest Pass, we were ready to stop and set up camp but the wide open rolling meadows with plenty of cows grazing forced us to stop for at least one more picture.

priestpasssmall.jpg

1leglance

CDE Day 6 From Priest Pass to Lima-Lakeview

After packing camp and a quick chat with a couple who were hiking out of the woods with lawn chairs on their backs, a cat on leash and both smoking pipes (you just can't make that stuff up!) we dashed into Helena for a used tire to be Mikes new spare. Lucky for us J&J Tire factory was able to make us a great deal on a tire (the same factory tire folks are pulling off FJ Cruisers like Mikes). I picked up some groceries to re-stock supplies and we were back on the trail.

sparetiresmall.jpg

We hit Rimini Road and right way the cool sights started. This old rail bridge was something to behold and pictures just don't do it justice.

ironbridgesmall.jpg

I had a bit of a navigational challenge that at least resulted in some fun 4wd action and a bit of good Tread Lightly Karma. You will just have to wait for the full post-trip report for that story. Before long we were out of the mountains and while there was quite a bit of pavement we hit dirt again around Bannack. This is an interesting place to stop and actually I thought the cemetery was cooler than the town site.

bannackcemtrysmall.jpg

After Bannack it was wide open country, and I mean wide open. Both in terms of the view and the throttle, you can really work up some speed and we spread out due to dust. This is where Ham radio really wins over CB, in distance and clarity calling out turns, bumps and the very rare oncoming vehicle.

mikewidesmall.jpg

We came across a sign telling about the road we were on that originally was a freight road from Bannack to Utah. Wow to think of overlanding by wagon back in the day! Well we really seemed to be riding in style with roof top tents (thanks Camping Lab) and 12vdc fridges).

bannkrdsignsmall.jpg

All along this journey we have seen log cabins, from the mountains to these rolling hills. It is amazing to think of the work that went into homesteading and building these places.

bnkcabinsmall.jpg

This section of road from Bannack to Lima scores some serious points for changing geography, especially towards the end as you wind through some great canyons. But before long we were hearing some friends on the Ham radio (repeaters really add to your range) and we found them in Lima. We now had Michael, another amputee, in the group and Linda, who brought her dog pepper and a friend Darrel. We all dashed down the road for a picture in front of the Continental Divide sign at Monida, which happens to be in front of the coolest school bus graveyard I have ever seen (that is another story & picture you will have to wait for the full write up to hear about). Clay was the owner and a great guy.

groupcdmodnidasmall.jpg

After that it was time to find a campsite for all of us and Lakeview turned out to be the place. I would show you a picture but the mosquitoes in the area were swarming and we all hid in our vehicles as soon as we got to camp. Of course that didn't dampen our spirits but instead made for some fun over the radios (especially when the other folks are only a few feet away).

1leglance

CDE Day 7 Lakeview thru Yellowstone to Colter Bay

We awoke to far far fewer mosquitoes and were actually able to visit and have breakfast before breaking camp and making our first large group crossing of the Continental Divide. What a motley bunch we make.

grouppicredrocksmall.jpg

As a Tread Lightly Trainer I fully support the policy Yellowstone has in place asking that you wash your rig if it has quite a bit of mud. No good bringing noxious seeds into this historic wilderness. So since Mike and I had traveled through plenty of back country mud puddles we dashed back into West Yellowstone for a quick spray. Martín did an excellent job getting the Disabled Explorers ride clean.

mikewashfjsmall.jpg

martinwashfjsmall.jpg

I big thanks to Michael and the Yellowstone Ranger who both mentioned to me about a pass for the handicapped that allows free/discounted entry into most national parks & campgrounds. Losing my leg is worth something time & time again! Once into Yellowstone we met back up with Michael & Linda and went over our packet of papers we received upon park entry. Ok just so you know, a fed bear is a dead bear and buffalos gore people and can outrun you. Well then, let's go see some wildlife! Or at least join the massive throngs of people looking at vicious wild geysers.

fjparkingfullsmall.jpg

Here are a couple of cool pictures of these geologic wonders. There was a great level boardwalk which helps those with mobility issues see the pools, mud and steam belching forth from the earths inner workings.

bacmatsmall.jpg

While these pictures really aren't about overland travel I hope they at least make you want to go on a trip! Just don't think these are hot springs to play in. There were plenty of signs warning of danger.

clearpoolsmall.jpg

We eventually got over to see Old Faithful along with a few thousand other folks. It is a cool thing to see but at the same time being in such a mass of humanity was a bit much.

oldfaithcsmall.jpg

So we agreed to get back to the pleasures of a small group traveling the remote back country. But on our way out of the park we bagged a few more Continental Divide Crossings.

cdxrslakesmall.jpg

And then it was over to the Grand Tetons area and a stop to camp for the night at Colter Bay. Once again the disabled discount came through and we were treated to showers, laundry, a nice camping area and internet access for a pretty cheap price.

suntinez

Explorer
playing with loooong shadows in front of the school bus graveyard near Monida:
longshadows.jpg

four amigos at fountain paint pot in Yellowstone:

fourtouristas.jpg

BajaXplorer and Martin near some beautiful rapids in Yellowstone:
Michaelnrrapids.jpg

Setting up camp in Colter Bay, Grand Tetons:
colterbaycamp.jpg

I couldn't resist this shot of NOT a FWC spotted in Dillon MT:
notaFWC.jpg

It's called a Star Liner, and barely fits in this 84? Toyota but they take it out fishing all the time and very happy with it.

Sneaking in another picture at Grand Tetons, unbelievable place!
tetons.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

We are in Ouray at the FJ Summit and it is crazy!
I got to chat with our very own Chris M of the famous Overland Journal (which eveyone digs) and about a million other people it seems.
Ran a stuuuuupid long trail yesterday but since I was trail lead I talked the group into a shortcut that meant we were only on the trail for 8.5hrs!
I am skipping my trail run today so that someone else can have my spot on Black Bear (done it before) and I can catch up on a ton of stuff, including updating the trip report.
Thanks for all the great pm's emails voicemails and positive comments here!

1leglance

wow it has been a crazy few days here at the Fj Summit...I can't step 2 feet without some one asking about Disabled Explorers, our trip, Overland Journal, our Extreme Air setup, the SPOT share page they have been following or something!
It has been pretty cool to hang with Chris M of Overland Journal and his lovely wife and the response to the mag has been way cool. And speaking of hanging with OJ staff there was a very lucky moment when Brian McVickers & I passed each other on main street Ouray which immed meant U-turns, handshakes and our wives chatting.....good times with good people.
I really think "overland" style wheeling is growing tremendously.
I had hopes of updating the site & forums while at the Summit but between trail runs, spending time with my family and talking to eveyone that hasn't happened so I will try to get net access in camp over the next few nights to get the updates posted.

WFTW

Adventurer
AMAZING pictures Lance! I'm incredibly jealous right now! Hope your adventure continues to be exciting and safe during your last few days.

Rexsname

Explorer
It looks like Hurricane Dolly will be blowing through New Mexico and into Arizona this weekend. Be safe and watchout for flooding :safari-rig:

See ya Sunday!

REX

1leglance

quick update from grants new mexico...
2 nights camping in the middle of nowhere due to recovery needs...
flashfloods took out stream crossings yesterday so we spent a couple hrs this morning with winches and pullpals to get across otherwise a 4 hr drive around...
everyone safe & sound, mud everywhere....
looking forward to anyone joning us for camping sat night...
we will meet at the Willcox Truck Plaza Cheveron I-10 Exit 340 (AZ 186 S)
Sat morning...sometime..not sure exactly but I will try to update as possible, we will leave there by noon to go into the Chiricharas (sp?)
We will caravan in and wheel/find a place to camp...after dark using the projector to show pics/video of the trip...
Then Sunday am we will return to the Willcox Truck center at 9am to depart at 10am for a dirt road caravan thru reddington, oracle, willow springs to SDHQ by 4pm... be ready for lunch on the trail.

See anyone and everyone there...
please post up your level of interest for any part of it so we have a head count...especially for the return party at SDHQ

ham 146.460
cb 16
cell 602-451-6079

someone want to locate some repeaters for the area and return trip? thx

1leglance

the wilcox truck plaza is yucky, we are across the freeway at the TA truck stop...having a big brunch after clearing a fallen tree that blocked 2 camprgounds....
leaving at noon to camp and see eveyone on tomorrow...
ham 146.460
cb 16
cel 602-451-6079
:1888fbbd:

1leglance

CDE Day 8 Colter Bay to Atlantic City

What a crazy long day full of variety and great sites. We left some friends, got our first 4wd test and watched some amazing fireworks to finish the day.

We said our goodbyes to Linda, Pepper and Darrel and the excellent campground at Coulter Bay.

Gas at Coulter Bay is pricey but worth it as anything else is far away thus costing more in time.

The Grand Tetons were impressive even from the highway and we will come back to this area in the future without a doubt.

michealtetonssmall.jpg

Stopping to take pictures of snow near us gave Mike a chance to go explore looking for Lost Lake.

fjflowersnow2small.jpg

After we didn't hear anything on the radio for a bit we got some news from Mike that maybe I should head that way with some recovery gear. Turns out Mike wasn't quite used to the heavy expedition setup and got high centered.

hicentrsmall.jpg

With a quick tow strap tug we got Mike back on the trail and we got a chance to drive through our first patch of snow

firststucksmall.jpg

lancestrap2small.jpg

drivesnowsmall.jpg

After that we drove over some amazing meadows that felt on top of the world. After that we got into Pinedale where they had a festival to celebrate the pioneer days of Native Americans meeting the Settlers in something called Rendezvous. After looking around for a bit we restocked on gas & supplies then were back on the trail. I have to say that the section from Pinedale to Boulder felt very remote and cool. You really had a sense of exploration and even though you are on a marked trail it isn't often traveled. We also got our first real 4wd section here. Short but fun.

first4wd2small.jpg

We have seen some strange things on this trip and sometimes you have to stop just to try and figure out what they might be. We all agreed that these might be Sheep Wagons or some kind of either herd watching or hunting setup.

sheepshacksmall.jpg

Our goal was Atlantic City but on the way we stopped at near by South Pass City. It was a great thing we did as a quick chat with the local firecrew on hand gave us the good news that fireworks were planned for later as July 12th is Gold Rush Days! What a lucky chance brought us there on just that day. I have to say that of all the fireworks shows I have seen this little place with a population of 7 put on one of the best & longest shows ever. Of course seeing it from the roof top tent was a hit with the locals.

fireworkssmall.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles