Disabled Explorer Continental Divide Expedition July 5th-27th

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ok we are almost on the road...
This thread will be where we provide quick updates..of course you can find more info on our site www.disabledexplorers.com

Also you can track us on our SPOT Share page and see where we are!

I hope you all enjoy the trip with us since without your support none of this could have happened....THANKS.

1leglance

Service, Service, Service that is the name of the game

Earnhardt’s Toyota of Mesa is supporting us in a huge way. I called service consultant Jay McHone on Thursday to say that my sway bar link had broken and took out the CV boot in a shakedown run. He got me in for a look within an hour, got the parts ordered from Los Angles and then introduced me to another service consultant named Mark who would help me on Sat (today). Jay had weekend vacation plans but wanted to make sure the Continental Divide Expedition got on the road as soon as possible.
waitingservice.jpg

So here I am sitting in the waiting lounge for my FJ Cruiser so we can get to Las Vegas for our first dinner Meet & Greet with the 702fjcrew. The plan is to meet at the Shelby Cafe 7pm in case you are in the area, to check for the lastest info click here. The only comfort is that all the folks here are working hard to make things happen!

1leglance

Well Earnhardt's did a terrific job getting the FJ up & running...
After a quick dash home to pack food we hit the highway!
That's right we are in motion and you can follow our progress on SPOT if you click the link above or check our homepage www.disabledexplorers.com

Oh and on the way out of town we did a quick stop at a semi-truck scale....6440 lbs with passengers, full tank & gear...ouch!

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Lance,
Glad to see you got underway OK. I picked up an AARL repeater book at HRO today and will try to contact you on 146.760 (no tone), Dillon, MT, during the afternoon of the 10th as I drive up I15 through Idaho. I'm satisfied that my truck repairs are good and will hit the road around 2pm on the 9th. Will come back an edit a spot share page into this post on Wednesday before I leave so you can see my progress.
BX

My Spot shared page is:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0FI7k4ReN9WoqL5VYuZ8i2ft4pYQscnHO

Last edited:

1leglance

CDE Day 1 Phoenix to Las Vegas

As I mentioned in my previous post, Earnhardts was amazingly cool to get me out of town very quickly, thanks to all the folks there. Of course as I was heading out of town all the comments about my BlueJ being the 10 ton beast of the AZFJ clan were starting to ring in my head. So a quick side shot off the freeway got me on a semi-truck scale and at least next to all those rigs I felt slim & svelt. But at least I knew the Hoover Dam could handle the weight, and the 702FJcrew had no problem accepted another Voodoo Blue into their group.

Well the slip says it all , 6440 lbs! Ok so maybe I do need to look at something more than just changing from the Budbuilt steel skids to the Rasta aluminum. But what do I give up? Roof top tent? Awning? Fridge? Hah I will give up a fake leg before I give up the fridge! Well post expedition I will have to look at the big picture and figure out what to do.

Ok here is my artistic picture of the cloudy high desert. Hey I am trying to learn!

i40small.jpg

This is my son and you can see the new bridge being built at Hoover Dam. I have to say that it is a mega project, but I think there will be a loss of charm when folks aren't forced to experience the Art Deco glory of the place. I understand the need for speed but I hope people will still take the time to check out Hoover after the bridge is built.

matinhooversmall.jpg

After dropping off Veronica my wife & Martín my son at the Excalibur so they could walk around and get the full Vegas expereince and take in the show KA, I met up with the 702fjcrew. Here is a pic of the all Voodoo welcome party I had!

702lineupsmall.jpg

And a close up of this great bunch of people. I can't wait to come back and run some trails with all of the Las Vegas folks. Art is the gentleman in the red shirt who was kind enough to be waiting and watching for me. Julian is the gentleman in the black shirt who gave up his lunch hour to hang out and Bruce is the gentleman in the creme shirt who came into town from the cooler elevations with his wife just to meet up with me. That show what an outstanding group Las Vegas has! Yes those are copies of Overland Journal our title sponsor that each person has griped with affection. Great magazine that will be a collectors item in the years to come.

702crewsmall.jpg

Thanks to eveyone who is making this trip possible and tomorrow I look forward to Salt Lake City

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:lurk: Looking good Lance. I love the voodoo lineup, that looks so cool :cool:

And I love the "fake leg before I give up the fridge" quote :p

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Go, Lance!
Glad to see you're off and running.
I'll keep an eye on your progress.

safari.gif

FlyingWen

Explorer
1leglance said:
Service, Service, Service that is the name of the game

Earnhardt’s Toyota of Mesa is supporting us in a huge way. I called service consultant Jay McHone on Thursday to say that my sway bar link had broken and took out the CV boot in a shakedown run. He got me in for a look within an hour, got the parts ordered from Los Angles and then introduced me to another service consultant named Mark who would help me on Sat (today). Jay had weekend vacation plans but wanted to make sure the Continental Divide Expedition got on the road as soon as possible.
waitingservice.jpg

So here I am sitting in the waiting lounge for my FJ Cruiser so we can get to Las Vegas for our first dinner Meet & Greet with the 702fjcrew. The plan is to meet at the Shelby Cafe 7pm in case you are in the area, to check for the lastest info click here. The only comfort is that all the folks here are working hard to make things happen!

Next time you are at Earnhardt's call us and we'll come get you. It is about 2 minutes from your house.... I could put you to work.

1leglance

CDE Day 2 Las Vegas to Salt Lake City

The morning started off nicely with a relaxing breakfast then off to the airport to drop off Veronica my wife. Fast dash out of town found me and Martín looking over some promising desert we need to return to. North of Vegas to the Arizona strip has some great landscape and we will come back here before too long.

Speaking of cool desert stuff, we spotted a dirt road that led off to this cool structure. It was a nice chance to explain to Martín about the pre-GPS days. And that is you only clue to what it is other that the sign says "human life could be lost if this device is tampered with"....email us if you need more clues!

loransmall.jpg

The drive up to Utah also held plenty of interesting site and my desire to return here for future Disabled Explorers events just kept growing. As I noticed the occasionaly odd dirt road leading up to a mountain saddle I knew that the difference between an "Overlander" and many 4wd folks is that instead of excitment at seeing a bumch of basketweave OHV trails to the horizon I was repeatedly enticed to leave the asphalt to follow that solitary track that might have been last traveled by a rumbling wagonload of mine ore 100 yrs before. It was the need to be alone and remote that drew me, not the desire to climb a hill or jump a ridge.

Before long we were in Salt Lake and had picked up my older son Nathan at the airport. This was great for me as I now have another driver (and a good one at that) so I can film and take notes. We made our way over to Tres Hombres and proved to be Tres "solo" Hombres as we ate alone. Oh well that is the downside of hitting town on a holiday weekend for a Meet & Greet. But I now have another reason to return, to meet all the great SLC folks.

treshombressmall.jpg

With a quick look at the map we were off to Sunset Campground and were actually able to set up camp just after sunset. What more could we ask for? Oh yeah, our first drit road! Here is a picture of us stopped to air down.

cde1stdirtsmall.jpg

And I got to use my super cool new Extreme Outback Onboard Air setup to dust off the camera, video & computer this evening. That is one of the reasons I wanted this system and just one of the many uses I will be using it for on this trip and years to come. You can tell it is solid and very well made. Be sure to talk with Sierra Expeditions if you want a setup like this or have any onboard air questions.

Keep following our adventure on the SPOT share page and watch for more updates.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Trip ahead!

Great to read that you guys have started.
Enjoy the ride and take lots of pics for the rest of us office bound folks!
Cheers,
P

jcbrandon

Explorer
snow?

Checking the SPOT track shows the team making an abrubt about-face Tuesday afternoon on the Going to the Sun Road. Perhaps the way was still blocked by snow. Anyone have any real information?

This just in... a closer look shows their turnaround to be the visitor center. How many tee-shirts can Lance pack into that overloaded rig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior