WTB - Canon Lenses for College Photography Student

unplannedbbq

Adventurer
I've had my 50 1.4 for 12 yrs. never had a focus issue on 6d or crop bodies. Sending it in to CPS for 1st cleaning/checkup now.

I also have the 35 2.0 IS, and the 40 pancake. You can pick up the 40 on canon's refurb site for ~$100 - I think it is shockingly good IQ for the price. It also looks like a toy lens, which is great for low-profile street/travel photography. You can slip an SL1 + 40mm in a big pocket. 6d+big white lens always draws eyes, interest & questions. SL1+pancake lens lets you capture a lot of stealth shots.

Something to consider - Your son's 5d has built in lens correction, so you can get better function out of older canon lenses if you load the lens profiles. I have a 20 yr old 17-35mm 2.8L that performs better now than when new thanks to correction on the 6d. As you're shopping value lenses, check out newer reviews on older lenses that include correction. I got the 17-35 2.8 for 1/3 the price of a new 16-35 2.8L

Also check out http://www.magiclantern.fm/index.html for Canon bodies. Add-on firmware/hack that opens up a lot of additional capabilities, expanded bracketing for exposure, motion detection for trigger shutter (I think can do sound triggers too), focus stepping, In-camera intervalometer. There is a module called DotTune for the micro adjust lens calibration. The camera will remember settings for each individual lens to help refine the focus.

It has been around for sometime and is quite safe, no problems with bricking your body (that I've ever heard of), although they are very prolific of their warnings. Constantly being updated, and best of all it's free. Amazing all of the tweaks it can do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles