1999 100 Series Buying Advice

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
My son and I stumbled upon a 1999 Land Cruiser with 205000mi. At a glance, it appears to be rust free. The engine starts and idles with no warnings or cautions illuminated. Interior is a little sun burned but the leather seats looked to be in good condition. The owner wants $6,000.00. I plan to have a closer look next week, check available maintenance records and take it for a spin. I am an aircraft mechanic and I know to look for obvious defects like leaks, uneven tire wear, evidence of body repair, etc. Having said that, I am eager to hear what the experienced Land Cruiser guys think.
Cheers.

altaboy

Observer
Go over to Ih8mud to the 100 forum (https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/100-series-cruisers.26/). Tons of 100 specific info/advice there.

Also, check out slee (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm)

To me, seems a high price for a high mileage (though they can go 500k miles), old rig. How do I know: watched the market here in SoCal for 6m and bought a relatively (126k) 2004 last year. Note: the market can change quickly for the 100's as alot of LC faithful are trading out of 80s and 60s to these 100 series, some even heading to the 200 series.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The timing belt interval is 90K miles. So it should have had it's second belt/water pump service fairly recently. If the service hasn't been done, plan on $1000 to have a shop do it or a few hundred bucks and some free time to replace it yourself.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
1999 are sweet since they came with a rear locker. These motors last a very long time. Should last you a long time. Enjoy.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
She's coming home from the shop today following a bumper to bumper inspection with a new timing belt, idlers, water pump, cam and crank seals, radiator, valve cover gaskets, repacked wheel bearings and 5 BFG ATs (285/75/16) and alignment. Should be a solid ride for now!(knocking on wood).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
She's coming home from the shop today following a bumper to bumper inspection with a new timing belt, idlers, water pump, cam and crank seals, radiator, valve cover gaskets, repacked wheel bearings and 5 BFG ATs (285/75/16) and alignment. Should be a solid ride for now!(knocking on wood).

That's awesome! My '99 is also on 285 BFG ATs, and is just about to turn 200. It is the ultimate LC in my opinion. If it was a solid front axle and 1HDFT-E version I'd be even happier.

We need pics too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier