Temperature Dropped Clunking/Popping Noise in Front End Back....11' Frontier

bijanjames

Adventurer
You know the drill...Popping turning into off camber garage/driveway, clunking/popping underbraking/accerlerating, makes no noise through large amounts of suspension travel, ie, big dips, etc...Only pops once and then does not repeat. Frist time I had a similiar noise it was the sway bar, its been removed. Then a very similiar noise returned and it turned out to be the sturt tower top cap had broke on the passenger side...The noise is much more pronounced now its cold. Any suggestions? I've researced everything from loose lower radiator mounts, to a loose lower cam bolt.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I'm starting to think the noise is coming from the LCA. Going to call PRG tomorrow and look into ordering their bushing kit...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Got your PM.

My front end noise was from the ball joints on the UCAs. Mine were the non-greasable versions like yours and lasted less than a year.

Jack the front tire up and shove a pry bar under there. Then try to wiggle the tire up and down. If it clunks, you may have found your culprit. If you separate the UCA from the spindle and check play you can confirm it. Mine had a crap ton of slack.

It may not be that though. Mine popped over every bump. As I imagine it would if the issue is the LCA bushings. It might also be prudent to check the CVs.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Got your PM.

My front end noise was from the ball joints on the UCAs. Mine were the non-greasable versions like yours and lasted less than a year.

Jack the front tire up and shove a pry bar under there. Then try to wiggle the tire up and down. If it clunks, you may have found your culprit. If you separate the UCA from the spindle and check play you can confirm it. Mine had a crap ton of slack.

It may not be that though. Mine popped over every bump. As I imagine it would if the issue is the LCA bushings. It might also be prudent to check the CVs.

Did as you said: Jacked up both sides of the truck and checked for wheel play, couldn't find any. I then proceeded to jack each side of the front of the truck up and let the jack completely go from underneath it, no noise. I then started jacking up each side very slowly and did hear the same noise come from right around the bumper radiator area, go figure. I couldn't duplicate this noise again though doing the same thing...I tightened the lower radiator mounts, skid plates, bumper mounts, etc..I then hit the lower control harm bushings, and ball joints with lithium grease.

Now to see if this helped. As soon as I had barely let of the clutch, I heard the pop noise. This is on a completely flat surface in my garage. This has me thinking that it might be a sticking brake caliper? Seems like something rotational.

jhberria

Adventurer
I had a similar "popping/clunking" going for over a year. Essentially the exact same symptoms you're describing.

It went away completely when I swapped out my stock LCAs and lower ball joints for new OEM LCAs with moog LBJs. I swapped these parts to install my cam bolts (the rear bolts on each LCA were seized in the bushings). This leads my to believe that this popping is caused either by the OEM LCA sliding back on forth slightly on it's mounts (which would be solved by the PRG Derlin bushing spacers) or it was the lower ball joints. Either way, new LCAs, new ball joints, and properly torqued cam bolts solved the issue for me.

JKRIO

Also body-to-frame mounts known to be source of clunks on Frontiers. You can search clubfrontier or equivalent.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I had a similar "popping/clunking" going for over a year. Essentially the exact same symptoms you're describing.

It went away completely when I swapped out my stock LCAs and lower ball joints for new OEM LCAs with moog LBJs. I swapped these parts to install my cam bolts (the rear bolts on each LCA were seized in the bushings). This leads my to believe that this popping is caused either by the OEM LCA sliding back on forth slightly on it's mounts (which would be solved by the PRG Derlin bushing spacers) or it was the lower ball joints. Either way, new LCAs, new ball joints, and properly torqued cam bolts solved the issue for me.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that the noise is coming from the LCA's...How much did you spend to replace both LCA's and replace LBJ's with moog?

jhberria

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that the noise is coming from the LCA's...How much did you spend to replace both LCA's and replace LBJ's with moog?

I found a set of used OEM LCAs (with <5k miles) with Moog LBJs already pressed in for $75 if I remember correctly. I got lucky with that find. The hardest part for me was removing the OEM LCA bolts on the rear of both LCAs, as the 4 months of Upstate NY road salt that the X was exposed to the first year I bought it was enough to seize those suckers in. Cutting and pounding was required.

If this is something you're looking to do, I would recommend just buying new Moog LCAs that come with the LBJs already pressed in. I think you can get a complete set on Rock Auto or amazon for around $120. If your LCA bolts/cam bolts aren't seized in their respective bushings, it's a quick and easy job. If seizure has occurred, it becomes significantly more painful.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I found a set of used OEM LCAs (with <5k miles) with Moog LBJs already pressed in for $75 if I remember correctly. I got lucky with that find. The hardest part for me was removing the OEM LCA bolts on the rear of both LCAs, as the 4 months of Upstate NY road salt that the X was exposed to the first year I bought it was enough to seize those suckers in. Cutting and pounding was required.

If this is something you're looking to do, I would recommend just buying new Moog LCAs that come with the LBJs already pressed in. I think you can get a complete set on Rock Auto or amazon for around $120. If your LCA bolts/cam bolts aren't seized in their respective bushings, it's a quick and easy job. If seizure has occurred, it becomes significantly more painful.

Thanks.

MNCarl

The Moose
bijanjames,
I had a clunking noise in the front of my 2012 Frontier ...drove me nuts, I even brought it to the dealer...the dealer had no clue.
I finally narrowed it down to one of the front body mounts, I sprayed the body mount with white lithium grease and it has been quiet ever since about a year now.
Anyway check all your body mounts. The body mounts may also be past being able to just spray lube on them...they go bad / wear out from off-roading / frame twisting.

Last edited:

bijanjames

Adventurer
bijanjames,
I had a clunking noise in the front of my 2012 Frontier ...drove me nuts, I even brought it to the dealer...the dealer had no clue.
I finally narrowed it down to one of the front body mounts, I spayed the body mount with white lithium grease and it has been quite ever since about a year now.
Anyway check all your body mounts. The body mounts may also be past being able to just spray lube on them...they go bad / wear out from off-roading / frame twisting.

Thanks for the advice. I just got of the phone with PRG and think we have it narrowed down to the cambolts being loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier