Sealants, roof, windows etc

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I certainly think so.

My camper is built with a mono-shell, so there are no joints to seal, and it is (was) 100% watertight and usable even without the gacoroof.

I see it more along the lines of cheap insurance, as well as a mild improvement of thermal insulation, and as providing significant noise reduction.

Simple things like rain, hail, or the occasional pine cone hit, we can barely hear now.

Only downside to it is that it remains a bit soft, so it can be cut/gouged more easily than other products.

That said, repairs are as simple as touching up the damage with a bit more product. It bonds to itself.

it is 100% silicone. So it doesnt degrade in the sun, and is 100% impervious to moisture.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Ill never own, or build a camper with joints in the roof.

My camper has a mono-shell with zero joints.

It does have a few penetrations, largest being the marine hatch.

By design it is located on a slope of the roof to minimize the potential of leak potential.

Still, it is sealed the same way as the windows. Year later, always outside, north idaho winters, never an issue.

Also, the entire roof is overcoated with Gaco-roof. The one exception being the hatch, all penetrations and fasteners are coated with it.

Gacoroof coat installed

chassis272.jpg

shot showing the location (by design) of the hatch on the slope.

chassis274.jpg

Example of how all fasteners and hardware attached to the roof surface are overcoated.

These are the brackets used to fasten the rigid solar panels.

chassis301.jpg

Do you have any details on how you constructed your roof without seams?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Exterior skin is marine grade ply that is epoxy coated, seams glassed, smoothed, and painted.

chassis200.jpg

Ramdough

Adventurer
Exterior skin is marine grade ply that is epoxy coated, seams glassed, smoothed, and painted.

chassis200.jpg

How many coats of epoxy did you use to coat the wood? Any glass on the panels, or only the seams?

Do have a build thread?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Only the joints in the ply were glasses. Entire thing was saturated with CPES until it started to build, then primed and painted.

Build thread is over on Pirate. Google search IDACAMPER2.0 and you should find it :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
5200 is used as a marine glue by in the know builders. Never as a sealant. Too hard it doesnt have the flex needed for skin/fixture seals. 4200 is better but not by much.
Stick to the softer more flexable stuff you'll be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior