Tacoma or 4Runner

p nut

butter
Thanks for the replies. The Crewmax is a dream of mine but just too damn expensive and the gas mileage sucks something fierce. I don't have 3 kids all the time one of my step daughter and she has occasionally with her father and does not go on trips with us that are very long. I don't really need a full size pickup truck at the moment , another reason why I don't want the Crewmax

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Then go 4Runner for sure. And see about getting one with a 3rd row. Not much room back there, but at least can separate the kids if necessary. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Three kids? Get a Tundra Crew Max or Land Cruiser. Unless you love listening to kids fight while getting continuously kicked in the back of the seat.

pffft...

Regular cab Tacoma and a wagon.... :D

a77063.jpg

txmxer

I went from years of driving tacomas to a gx myself (found a great deal on one because everyone in my area wants an arm and a leg for a 4runner). I use the bed of the truck a lot for surfboards and gear and wet dogs so I will say that after driving an SUV for a few months I really miss having a truck with a campershell and being able to have dirty gear in the bed without making a mess. Another pro is that if you have 3 kids you can have the bed of a tacoma full of gear and still have full access to your seats. If you have longer gear like surfboards in a gx you'll need to fold down the back seats and that gets in the way of your seats. Granted I could use the roof racks. I was set on a 4 runner after my last tacoma but looking back, a 4runner with the same options and barebones interior of the tacoma I would personally go with the tacoma. Heres why I like the gx though...

A huge plus on the gx is the v8 and the leather interior and options. A tacoma is pretty barebones where as a the gx is fully loaded and drives amazing. This would make it hard to go back to the tacoma. I love the gx, very comfortable car. But it all comes down to what kind of gear you haul and seating arrangements (7 seats in the gx is nice).

p nut

butter
pffft...

Regular cab Tacoma and a wagon.... :D

a77063.jpg

Even better. Although on a few trips, I've had them in a separate car with the grandparents. Out of sight, out of mind. :D

I went from years of driving tacomas to a gx myself (found a great deal on one because everyone in my area wants an arm and a leg for a 4runner). I use the bed of the truck a lot for surfboards and gear and wet dogs so I will say that after driving an SUV for a few months I really miss having a truck with a campershell and being able to have dirty gear in the bed without making a mess. Another pro is that if you have 3 kids you can have the bed of a tacoma full of gear and still have full access to your seats. If you have longer gear like surfboards in a gx you'll need to fold down the back seats and that gets in the way of your seats. Granted I could use the roof racks. I was set on a 4 runner after my last tacoma but looking back, a 4runner with the same options and barebones interior of the tacoma I would personally go with the tacoma. Heres why I like the gx though...

A huge plus on the gx is the v8 and the leather interior and options. A tacoma is pretty barebones where as a the gx is fully loaded and drives amazing. This would make it hard to go back to the tacoma. I love the gx, very comfortable car. But it all comes down to what kind of gear you haul and seating arrangements (7 seats in the gx is nice).

Not sure if you have kids, but man, 3 kids stuck next to each other for extended trips. I can't think of many other worse methods of torture. 3rd row in the 4Runner would be a nice option. Also, the rear seats recline. I still think neither model is great for traveling with 3 kids, but the 4Runner is the better option.
_
Now, if you need a bed, then it's an easy choice.

Dalko43

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The Crewmax is a dream of mine but just too damn expensive and the gas mileage sucks something fierce. I don't have 3 kids all the time one of my step daughter and she has occasionally with her father and does not go on trips with us that are very long. I don't really need a full size pickup truck at the moment , another reason why I don't want the Crewmax

If you're not hunting, fishing, hauling work loads or a full-time expedition setup around 24/7 (think roof tent and mounted drawers and fridge) get the 4runner. The Tacoma's pickup bed is really the only advantage that it has over the 4runner; the 4runner does better at everything else and I consider to be of better quality (that's entirely subjective of course).

Also, I would not be lured in by the Tacoma's "newer" engine and transmission setup. It's a 3.5L V6 derived from Toyota and Lexus crossover and passenger car lineup; it barely has any extra horsepower over the 4runner and it hits peak torque at a higher RPM. If you are dead set on getting the Tacoma and don't mind paying top $, sure go ahead and get it. But if you're spending that kind of $ because you think the you'll get better performance over previous generations of Tacomas and 4runners, save your money and get something used.

Clutch

<---Pass
Even better. Although on a few trips, I've had them in a separate car with the grandparents. Out of sight, out of mind. :D

Ha ha, nice!

I dunno...3 kids...think I would be looking at a Sequoia, Ford Excursion or Suburban.

We have done trips to Baja from Tucson with 5 guys...once in a my buddy's 4Runner...another in the other buddy's Excursion....man, the Excursion was nice for traveling. Everyone had plenty of room....4Runner was cramped to say the least.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Yeah. The big rigs are nice but to much and I'd only use it as a trip vehicle. Not very sensible.

hikingff77

Adventurer
So I recently bought a 2012 4Runner and traded in my 2015 JKU (Which I loved BTW). The 4Runner has 90k on the clock, I got a great trade in value for my Jeep, I hated seeing it go but I'll tell you something, the 4Runner is everything I ever thought it'd be and more. My next personal car, the 4Runner is for my business, will be another JKU, bought modified (hopefully) the way I want. My wife's next car will be a 4Runner for sure, it's a great car but the headroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94