Tacoma or 4Runner

hikingff77

Adventurer
I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but which would you buy? A Tacoma with a shell or a 4Runner? And why?

I've had a Tacoma before, a 1996 standard cab and put 150000 miles on it. I know the reliability and dependability. I loved how it worked in the snow, it was like it rode on rails.

I'm a big guy, 260, 6'3" and have three kids.

I love the 4Runners looks and specs, just not sure of the size of the vehicle.

Thanks!

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Yup, been down this road a few times. The consensus seems to be (and I agree); If you need the room or the hauling capability of a pickup, get the Taco. The 4runner has better build quality, however (made in Japan).

davis31052

Adventurer
I went from a Tacoma TRD/Off Road with a shell to a 4Runner SR5. Other than being more conscious about putting dirty, smelly stuff in the cargo area, I haven't missed my truck. The back seats in the 4Runner are adjustable and recline, so more room for folks in the back seat. I also have a couple of trailers too, so hauling big stuff isn't a problem. Not that you can haul much in a Tacoma 5ft bed anyway.

(none)

Adventurer
Went through the same dilemma a few months ago. I've always wanted a Tacoma, but when it came time to pull the trigger, I had to re-evaluate. I would hardly ever use the bed. the first thing I'd probably do is install a cap, just as mentioned. Even then, I usually carry very little. When I do have a large or dirty load, its just as easy for me to hook up my small trailer and use it. I went with the 4runner, below is pretty much the list I made.

Tacoma:
Pros: -Higher towing capacity (even though the 4runner had the same motor/trans, now has a more powerful motor and trans, and the 4runner has bigger brakes).
-Throw the dirtbike in the bed (only if I don't have a cap/toneau cover
- Slightly cheaper (TRD taco vs 4runner trail)
-Manual trans available (big plus)
Cons: -Longer overall, longer rear overhang, more difficult to fit in the garage
-I really have to use for the bed very often
-New motor and trans haven't received the best reviews yet.
-Drum rear brakes? Why?
-No longer a fully boxed frame

4runner:
Pros: -Able to secure items easier, haul people and cargo more easily
-Looks better (IMO)
-Larger brakes stock
-Coil sprung 5 link rear suspension
-t-case lever
Cons: -"only" 5k trailer capacity
-have to use a hitch hauler or trailer for dirt bike
-Hard to find them in the color combo/options I wanted (I got lucky and found one at port exactly how I wanted)

I've been able to work around all of my "cons" with the 4runner, so I am still very happy with my purchase. I was mostly set on the Taco TRD going in because I wanted the off-road goodies (rear diff lock, a-trac, bigger tires). I thought only the 4runner TRD pro had the rear diff lock until I found the Trail. All the goodies, with less of a price demand and a better color (inferno was gone :(, Barcelona red is only now being offered in the TRD pro), I have been happy.

p nut

butter
Three kids? Get a Tundra Crew Max or Land Cruiser. Unless you love listening to kids fight while getting continuously kicked in the back of the seat.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Three kids? Get a Tundra Crew Max or Land Cruiser. Unless you love listening to kids fight while getting continuously kicked in the back of the seat.
Just saw that about the 3 kids. No way on Tacoma. My sister has 4 kids and a 4Runner. They bought a mini van for daily use since they need the 3rd row (2 humans per row) for their tribe, so the 4Runner is occasional use only.

Chili

Explorer
I'd do the 4Runner but only because we have big dogs and would prefer to keep them in the climate controlled passenger compartment. I would suggest the same for 3 kids. :eek:

We also have 3 kids but two are college boys now, and don't ride with mom and dad anymore. That's why I recently downsized from a Suburban to a Jeep JKU!

dman93

Adventurer
My Ford Ranger, SuperCab with rear jump seats, lasted until our kids were 2 and 4 years old. Bought an SUV (Land Cruiser) and didn't look back for the next 12 years. Moved away from 4WD for a while, but now both kids are grown and we're back to a pickup. So my advice, buy the 4Runner now, and wait on the Tacoma till your kids are grown.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. The Crewmax is a dream of mine but just too damn expensive and the gas mileage sucks something fierce. I don't have 3 kids all the time one of my step daughter and she has occasionally with her father and does not go on trips with us that are very long. I don't really need a full size pickup truck at the moment , another reason why I don't want the Crewmax

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

sn_85

Observer
I would do a test drive of both. A lot of people complain about the seating position in the Tacoma which can be problematic for taller people. Likewise, the 4Runner doesn't have a tall head area either. Only way to know is to test drive them and see how it feels. If you really think you need a truck bed then get the Tacoma. Otherwise all other areas the 4Runner is just a better vehicle and value.

River19

Observer
After you figure out the 4Runner is the way to go, do yourself a favor and get a Lexus GX470 instead.

That is what I just did last month, couldn't be happier with my 2009 GX......more interior space than a 4runner, real interior, etc.

But every vehicle has pros and cons.....to each their own.......some people can't get past the rear door configuration on the GX.......it really doesn't bother me......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior