The importance of a rear dust light in the southwest.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I think the whole nerfing comment was highly misinterpreted.

Of course the OP is not going to rear end someone to get them out of the way, nor would any other sane human. However, It's a very common thing to do in offroad racing. Specifically offroad desert racing. Watch any desert racing video and you will see what he means.

Calm down everyone.

OP, thanks for posting this. You do make a very valid point for people who are in the dusty desert. The people who visit once every few years won't understand what you meant. A dust light is very important.

meatblanket

Adventurer
This thread has been a real eye opener. Evidently people are out there racing through the desert at high speed and they'll hit you if you don't have a rear facing 100w amber light. Slowing down isn't an option for them because they will lose control.

I'm thankful people don't behave that way around here, when blowing snow reduces visibility to zero. It must be because without the high dollar suspensions, we can slow down without losing control, and therefore we can get away with OEM lighting.

Seriously, that's what I'm reading here, and it leaves me wondering how much of it to take seriously and how much is pure bull****.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the whole nerfing comment was highly misinterpreted.

Of course the OP is not going to rear end someone to get them out of the way, nor would any other sane human. However, It's a very common thing to do in offroad racing. Specifically offroad desert racing. Watch any desert racing video and you will see what he means.

Calm down everyone.

OP, thanks for posting this. You do make a very valid point for people who are in the dusty desert. The people who visit once every few years won't understand what you meant. A dust light is very important.

Think he better clarify that he meant in closed course racing and not on public lands. With his wordage it sure sounds like he meant public lands and some Bro in his LT Prerunner is going to ram you if you don't get out of the way.

I lived in the desert for 20 years, have been around racing longer than that. What he is suggesting is irresponsible. Think he has gotten it backwards, people have been taking stock vehicles in the desert a lot longer than highly modified ones, go fast prerunners is a fairly new trend in the history of recreational off roading, 3 & 4 foot deep truck whoops weren't always there...

Trophycummins said:
On public trails in ohv areas, there are no speed limits. In rough sections, more capable vehicles MUST keep speed up in order to smooth out the ride. It's how high dollar suspension systems work, going to slow could cause a the vehicle to lose control.

Growing up in the desert it's always been common knowledge that the faster trucks have right of way and your *** will get nerfed(rear run into to let you know a faster truck is behind you) if you don't get out of the way.

It's only recently where people have started taking their stock vehicles onto trails previously only used by off-roaders. And I believe that public land is for everyone to enjoy, and in order to do that safely, people need a dust light

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We get a lot of fog and drizzle type rain here in the fall/winter months. Right now is sugar beet season in the valley...the trucks have flashing amber lights on the rear...can see them for quite a long ways down the road. Since I tend to be the slowest guy on the road (even if I set the cruise right at the speed limit, ha!), thought of putting one one my truck, 'cause everyone is in a hurry it seems now-a-days!

Yeah, I just don't want someone to pile into me going 50mph faster than I am. Going up a steep mountain grade I might be just chugging along at 30mph and some guy having fun in his sports car could be going 80+. Pretty much anytime I am going more than 15mph under I will switch it on. Of course if some knucklehead rear ends me they are at fault, but given the choice I would rather just not be in an accident whether my fault or not.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I just don't want someone to pile into me going 50mph faster than I am. Going up a steep mountain grade I might be just chugging along at 30mph and some guy having fun in his sports car could be going 80+. Pretty much anytime I am going more than 15mph under I will switch it on. Of course if some knucklehead rear ends me they are at fault, but given the choice I would rather just not be in an accident whether my fault or not.

Yes, it is very good idea. Heck now-a-days, might have to leave it on no matter what the conditions are. ;) People don't pay much attention anymore...I loose count how many people have their nose in the phones on my work commute. I just try and stay out of the way.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I find it amazing how someone comes up with "a good idea" that they like and the sheep of the world quickly start bleating about "good idea, it should be required for all"!!
some of us were born with a soon to be extinct gene called common sense, it tells us that if conditions warrant driving slower or faster or using defensive driving or just plain not going there or turning around ( Google "stolpa family" ) then that's what we do!!

How many "good ideas" do we have that add thousands more to the price of a vehicle that would not be needed if people had common sense?? anti-lock brakes, backup cameras that people ignore then hit kids, pets or other vehicles. tire pressure monitoring systems (thanks FORD EXPLORER and FIRESTONE) that fail constantly or are also ignored.

If You sheep think it's a "good idea" then use it, but keep this crap about "required' to yourselves or stick it where the exhaust comes out!! some of us don't need your "required" garbage to use and enjoy our vehicles in any situation because we have common sense!!!!

rear dust light :rolleyes:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Lol, expo certainly has a way of taking a thought, and mangling it into a way not even comprehensible.

Yes, i have seen vehicles nerfed on public ohv land.

Yes i am preaching that a dust light is a good idea if you want to be seen in the dust.

No, ive never had to nerf a stalrangers vehicle. But ive done it with friends.

No, your insurance wont do anything if you get nerfed. Youre offroad, your insurance probably doesnt cover it.

Yes. The way shocks work from offroad brands such as fox, king, icon, etc is to be valved for a certain impact force, if your truck is valved to go fastand take huge hits, the slow hits are less controlled than the fast hits.

Ive lived in the desert my whole life and dust lights have been common place. I know thats npt the case for most of expo who just wants to gey out and go camping. Im simply trying to educate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Perhaps everyone should get a Stella :D
https://youtu.be/QFRGqQMBZTs

PS OP, rear-end someone on public land, you will absolutely be liable. Negligence and improper lookout are not confined to paved roads. It's up to you to determine if your insurance will be covering it ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes, i have seen vehicles nerfed on public ohv land.

Yes i am preaching that a dust light is a good idea if you want to be seen in the dust.

No, ive never had to nerf a stalrangers vehicle. But ive done it with friends.

No, your insurance wont do anything if you get nerfed. Youre offroad, your insurance probably doesnt cover it.

You do realize out in the desert isn't a free for all lawless place? You are grossly uninformed. Nerf someone, other than your buddies...pretty good chance you'll get charges files against you.

Damage someone else's vehicle by nerfing it, you better have good insurance and a lawyer. That is if you're lucky, with those type of antics, might get you shot.

People like you is one of reasons why trails are getting shut down. Need to respect other OHV users.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
You do realize out in the desert isn't a free for all lawless place? You are grossly uninformed. Nerf someone, other than your buddies...pretty good chance you'll get charges files against you.

Damage someone else's vehicle by nerfing it, you better have good insurance and a lawyer. That is if you're lucky, with those type of antics, might get you shot.

People like you is one of reasons why trails are getting shut down. Need to respect other OHV users.

Did you not read my post at all? Or are you just akin to assuming things?

I don't have a single post condoning the nerfing of strangers. I simply stated I've seen it happen. And that I've never had a reason to do it to a stranger.

And lol, you're preaching that the desert isn't lawless and you're telling me I'm going to get shot for bumping into another persons vehicle. Sounds like YOU think the desert is lawless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Did you not read my post at all? Or are you just akin to assuming things?

I don't have a single post condoning the nerfing of strangers. I simply stated I've seen it happen. And that I've never had a reason to do it to a stranger.

And lol, you're preaching that the desert isn't lawless and you're telling me I'm going to get shot for bumping into another persons vehicle. Sounds like YOU think the desert is lawless.

You're telling people to run a dust light so they don't get nerfed by knuckelheads like yourself.

Desert isn't a lawless place, but since you seem like you ignore the laws, others do to. Be careful out there is I what am saying.

Would lump you with the bad apples which is making everyone else look bad. You need to educate yourself. It is odd, you're trying to educate us on running a safety light, which is old news by the way, you are apparently new to the scene, despite saying you grew up in the desert. Don't even know some of the basic rules and laws of OHV use. I would suggest go research the rules and laws on your area, and go talk to some LEOs, especially about nerfing. Would love to hear the LEO's response, get back to us in that would ya?

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
On public trails in ohv areas, there are no speed limits. In rough sections, more capable vehicles MUST keep speed up in order to smooth out the ride. It's how high dollar suspension systems work, going to slow could cause a the vehicle to lose control.

Growing up in the desert it's always been common knowledge that the faster trucks have right of way and your *** will get nerfed(rear run into to let you know a faster truck is behind you) if you don't get out of the way.

It's only recently where people have started taking their stock vehicles onto trails previously only used by off-roaders. And I believe that public land is for everyone to enjoy, and in order to do that safely, people need a dust light.

Pile of rationalizing self-justifying horsecrap, wrapped around a marketing push.

You sound like the sort of clown that turned Pismo and Buttercup into deathtraps. You reek of flat-billed Tapout-clad Bro-ness.

goleee33

I just did Mojave Rd with some friends and there are parts of the trail where the dust gets kicked up like crazy and you cant see a thing. Sure, you could just follow about 2 miles behind, but on a route that's easy to get lost you don't want to miss a turn. Luckily the leader had an ultra bright dust light that made it MUCH easier to follow and not miss turns because we couldn't see anything. There were other times where the leader had to slow down and if it had not been for the dust light you easily would not have known and could have been a dangerous situation. After that trip, I instantly went out and bought a light. Its just a no brainer. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Better to slow way down in such conditions so you can maintain visibility for those in your trail and convoy.

And for Mr No-Laws Trophy, you sound pretty damned young / inexperienced too, to think you can 'nerf' people on the backside of nowhere. You crow about 'no rules' and think that all runs in your favor only? Laughable on its face. You'll run into a bigger ******* out there someday and you won't make it home.

'share the trail'. Don't demand other people accommodate your poor choices and pretend it's for 'safety'.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
This thread is amazing! i haven't laughed so much in my life! I am positive the OP was not condoning "nerfing" in a normal instance of running the Mojave trail... I can guarantee you that if a group of vehicles do a group run any where off road, a Rear facing Amber light is by far one of the best things to have for visibility... I don' care if you spend 10.99 from Amazon prime, or get a Rigid. Amber is proven to be more visible in the dust, then any other light..Having other colors such as red, would indicate breaking when breaks aren't being applied, and blue is technically illegal on the street (even though races trucks now have blue and amber)
I was doing a run across the Indian reservation with my friends from Adventure Driven a while ago, and every time we came up to a washed out area, the soot got real thick and they disappeared, I couldn't tell if they were 400 yards in front of me or 40ft.
First thing i told Seth, was get an amber rear facing light, and stick it as high as possible. This isn't about nerfing people, this isn't about whose lights are better. Its about the fact, that if your out in the dust, make your self visible, end of story! Weather your going 40mph (legal speed limit) or 5mph, dust is dust...and with the larger amount of vehicles hitting the dirt, don't you think being visible is a good thing??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94