Is it worth the hassel for an extra inch???

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Which ever tires you decide to go with I would reccomend getting your tie rod ends upgraded. Get a heavy duty aftermarket tie rod. There are many manufactures out there that make them. There are a lot of failures out there with this problem and it only gets worse with bigger tires. i hope this helps. cheers, Chilli..:)

p nut

butter
Nope not worth it. Stick with stock and maybe at most, +1 sizing. I went 275/70/18 and I don't feel it was a worthwhile upgrade. Tire itself is great (KO2), but not the size. Doing it over again, I'd go 32" mainly for more availability of tires.

Badin

If it for street looks, go for it. Otherwise i would think twice before I took such a nice truck some place that one inch would make the difference between making it and eating it. That's what beaters are for.

swrider

Observer
Thanks for all the replies guys, more than likely will stick with the stock size, now to look for good tires !!!

Chili

Explorer
I did it on my old Suburban, but more for looks than anything. The stock tires just don't look proportional to me. That said, clearance under differentials is not the only place the benefits from a lift. Departure and approach angle, and break-over benefit as well. IMO, those are more important than pumpkin clearance in most cases, as you typically can position your tires so that the pumpkin isn't an issue. Deep ruts excluded. But again, is an inch or two really going to make a noticeable difference on offload performance? Probably not.

SloPoke

After 10 years you still don't understand the relationship between tire size and differential clearance and we are supposed to believe your gibberish? Draw a circle 31 inches around, and another circle 33 inches around, then measure from the center to the edge of each circle and note the difference between them of approximately 1 inch depending on tire mfr. Now explain how a lift spacer ABOVE the axle can increase the distance between the differential and the ground?[/QUOTE]

dude i totally agree with you on this, i just said it in a dumb way, or maybe you didnt understand it. but when you put a 2 inch lift spacer on your coils it pushes your upper and lower arms down, which will lift your center diff up, if it didnt what the hell is the point to a lift spacer. on a solid axle it wont change diff clearance, it just pushes the axle further away from the frame, adding tires will change that, but IFS suspension totally lifts your diffs.

rruff

Explorer
I go to a 295/65R18 the numbers come out to 33.1" or 0.75" more clearance than stock.

I'd go with 275/70s if I had your truck. Same diameter. Lots of options in that size also and not expensive.

Deep lugs and beefy LT casings are what kill MPG. If you are offroading in rocks and such, the LT casing is probably advised, but I don't think mud tires are worth it unless you really need them or don't drive on pavement that much.

Is it worth it? If it isn't hard to fit the tires, and you risk bottoming out on rocks, I'd say yes. I drove offroad in a 2WD Toyota pickup with camper for many years. I put 2" larger tires on it and still bottomed out on rocks all the time... but I'm sure it would have been worse without! I just bought a Tundra and I'm going to go 2" larger even though it pushes me into the more expensive 34" territory.

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
I'd go with 275/70s if I had your truck. Same diameter. Lots of options in that size also and not expensive.

Deep lugs and beefy LT casings are what kill MPG. If you are offroading in rocks and such, the LT casing is probably advised, but I don't think mud tires are worth it unless you really need them or don't drive on pavement that much.

Is it worth it? If it isn't hard to fit the tires, and you risk bottoming out on rocks, I'd say yes. I drove offroad in a 2WD Toyota pickup with camper for many years. I put 2" larger tires on it and still bottomed out on rocks all the time... but I'm sure it would have been worse without! I just bought a Tundra and I'm going to go 2" larger even though it pushes me into the more expensive 34" territory.

Sooo, something like a Nitto Terra Grappler II ???

rruff

Explorer
I'm thinking Michelin LTX M/S. It is the only tire with street tread in that size (295/70-18), and I suspect most AT tires lose more in road capability and MPG than they gain in offroad traction.

Or maybe I'll drop down to a 17" rim and get 285/75-17 Dura Grapplers. Or maybe get 20" rims and 275/65-20s. Lots of options in that size tire. https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/275-65R20.htm But I don't think the short sidewalls are a good idea offroad.

Stryder106

Explorer
Well, here's my opinion: Get the bigger tires. If you are actually taking it offroad, bigger tires have multiple benefits. 1) Larger tire = smaller bumps/holes/gaps, etc due to the increased rollout. 2) Larger tire = more capability. Bigger footprint will improve performance offroad particularly in soft ground: sand, mud, etc. 3) Suspension improvement. The sidewall of a tire is an integral part of your suspension and it's performance capabilities. Bigger tire = bigger sidewall = more shock absorption. 4) 3/4" of additional clearance actually is a big deal when doing things where space and clearance count. As already mentioned, there are many more factors to consider than just clearance under the differentials. 5) Do NOT go bigger than an 18" wheel (see previous comment on sidewall). Not to mention, a higher probability of bending/breaking the actual wheel. 5) Keep the offset at or near stock (should be +0 or in that area). Big offset = substantially increased force on your already way too small tie rod ends. +0 offset will also allow the tire to rise into your fenderwell on compression, rather than hitting the outside of the fender. 6) Level it. If you're Silverado is like my 02 Avalanche, the forward rake is very limiting when talking offroad capability as it seriously degrades your approach angle. I leveled mine 2" in the front. Combined with cutting the front bumper and fabbing a tube bumper - I gained 14.5" of front approach angle. When I put 285/70-17 on my Av (+0 offset wheel), I did some very minor trimming. When I just put the 35x12.50-17 on my Avalanche, I did substantial trimming (fenderwells, cladding, firewall) - BUT every kit manufacturer told me I HAD to put a 6.5" lift on my Av to fit 35" tires. Um, wrong.....................Just be honest with yourself, how do you want to use your truck? Then, start setting it up to do that - reliably. You should buy the Rare Parts 1.5" tie rods as a priority when adding bigger tires, OR taking it offroad. As for tread, there are a lot of options between a pure street tread and a mud terrain. Our trucks are heavy, get something in an E rating, your sidewalls will thank you.

Last edited:

wrmmt

Adventurer
wrmmt, I've read your built, nice rig you have there!!!
Can you tell me what the Kings level kit you used???

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Its not really a leveling kit per say, I have the King shocks (they're the OEM replacements) adjusted to add extra length/level. With the bfg KO2s its been a great setup, would like to add some more travel, but thats another story!... Personally, the level, shocks, and tires were pretty much a must. Definitely have been valuable, for peace of mind if nothing else, on my trips recently.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I need better than OEM tires on my truck. I am also looking at going up in size. i am looking at either KO2's or Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I may go with 2 set of tires. The KO2's for winter/off-road and the Defenders for the rest of the time.

p nut

butter
I need better than OEM tires on my truck. I am also looking at going up in size. i am looking at either KO2's or Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I may go with 2 set of tires. The KO2's for winter/off-road and the Defenders for the rest of the time.

KO2's ride well enough on-road that a second set is probably not necessary. They wear like iron as well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You know, I'd have thought those two tires would be basically similar enough that I'd just run the KO2 year 'round and save the money, skip the hassle of swapping back and forth. IMHO running two sets of tires would mean an actual snow tire (e.g. Blizzak, Latitude X-Ice, etc.) or an aggressive off road tire (e.g. mud terrain, KM2, etc.) with a regular set for the majority of the time that can till work acceptably in shoulder seasons and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles