Is it worth the hassel for an extra inch???

wrmmt

Adventurer
I second the comments on the KO2s, driven mine in everything from snow, wet rocky roads, some light mud, and desert dust and the nasty rocks on some of the roads in Death Valley and they have been reliable and comfortable through all of it. I noticed only a very small noise increase from the OEMs, and they have definitely been worth any little noise or MPG penalty they caused. If you're going to get KO2s, just use them all year.
And I also have been impressed with their wear (or lack there of...)

chet6.7

Explorer
I have put bigger tires on every truck I have owned,I am always glad I did when I am in the dirt.The other day, on a narrow FS road, I needed to get over as far as I could to let another vehicle coming from the opposite direction pass by.The truck sunk about 4 inches in the mud on the passenger side,the bigger tires made it a non issue.If I still had the HWY tread 275's on it still would have not been a big deal,but it would have lost some traction. You will take a mileage hit,it just depends on how much you like driving dirt roads,I love it so it is worth it to me.

swrider

Observer
Hello everyone, coming back to this thread again. Does anyone know if adding a two inch level kit, like the rough country will be enough to allow for a 33" tire???
I'm looking at this mainly due to budget constraints. Ideally i would go with a new suspension setup; i was thinking King shocks all around in the 2.5-3" range plus upper control arms and a differential drop plus adding heavy duty tie rods. Unfortunately, the reality is that right now i do not have the funds for all that. But what i do have is an urgency for new tires. So as a stop gap, the RC 2." Level kit for now. Just looking for assurance that they will allow for the new size tires.
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sooo, get your mind out of the gutter. I am talking tire size here

...Yeah, sooo, in reality adding 33" tires to my truck would only really give me an added 3/4" extra clearing under the differentials; is that really a big gain when it comes to offroading? The whole reason for lifting a truck and adding bigger tires is more clearence, but from where i sit that only comes out to 3/4"!!!

well it isn't just differential clearance. It's frame clearance. Transfer case clearance. Fuel tank clearance. Body panel clearance. Improvement in approach and departure angles. Funny that you'd worry about inconsequential differences in speedometer and fuel economy and miss all the rest of it.

You can gain the inch you want right now by getting under the truck with an 18mm socket and breaker bar and putting ~6-7 full turns on your torsion key adjustment bolts. That ought to be about half of your available adjustment range.
Then you might want to get an alignment done as that torsion adjustment will impart some negative camber.

I found it to be well worth the minor cost and 'hassle'. And I haven't even changed my tire size yet.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ban)-Build-Collected-Werks-topic-02-k1500-Z71

Z71-stance-comp-170109-2_zpskb58thfu.gif

swrider

Observer
well it isn't just differential clearance. It's frame clearance. Transfer case clearance. Fuel tank clearance. Body panel clearance. Improvement in approach and departure angles. Funny that you'd worry about inconsequential differences in speedometer and fuel economy and miss all the rest of it.

You can gain the inch you want right now by getting under the truck with an 18mm socket and breaker bar and putting ~6-7 full turns on your torsion key adjustment bolts. That ought to be about half of your available adjustment range.
Then you might want to get an alignment done as that torsion adjustment will impart some negative camber.

I found it to be well worth the minor cost and 'hassle'. And I haven't even changed my tire size yet.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ban)-Build-Collected-Werks-topic-02-k1500-Z71

Z71-stance-comp-170109-2_zpskb58thfu.gif

My truck is a 2014, i don't believe it comes with torsion keys, that stopped on the 2008's and newer models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
ah, thought I read 2004.

same rationales apply though, the extra height is good for a lot of reasons. And it is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke