Chevy AWD adventure van build

skibum148

I recently picked up a 2009 AWD 1500 passenger van with 28k miles on it, and have started setting it up for camping and passenger use.

Wheels and tires are Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265 /50 R20 mounted on Level 8 Tracker 20 X9 6-139.70. The bigger wheel helps the handling, and i will mostly be using the AWD in snow, and mild dirt roads, so i didn't wan much sidewall, or a lift at this point.

20160909_180056.jpg

The bed holds a full size bed I am using the Exped Megamat duo 10. It is a foam / air mattress, and has proven to be very comfortable. i like it better than allot of regular mattresses i have stayed on.
The sleeping bag I have been using is a Grizzly -25 2 person. It is very heavy, and is too warm for temperatures in the low 30's. We just ordered another grizzly 2 person 0 degree bag. If you want more details on the build of the platform and drawer, i have more pictures and can put together a more detailed thread.

20161112_153255.jpg
20161116_202316.jpg
Copy of 20161116_202244.jpg
20161116_202254.jpg

Plans I still need some finishing touches on the plywood and a latch/ travel limiter. The next project will be to make some sort of curtains to block the light, and give prvacy, Idea's on this are welcome, as i havnt seen anything that i really like that much yet. I will probably also install a deep cycle battery and inverter at some point, and may do a roof rack/ awning. The build plan is still in the works, and i have been getting allot of good ideas from other threads on here.

Does anyone have any experience with a 12v heater? I am not sure if there is anything that could work well enough to heat the van in the morning, to make it easier to get out of the sleeping bag.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Looks good! Did you fasten the platform to the floor? Looks like you left the factory plastic side wall trim in place. I like your drawer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86cj

Explorer
I can't argue with a blue passenger van, nice choice..........

I like the higher bed it gives you more width, we use reflectix cut just a little bigger than the window trim, it will pop in and stay put. I does a very good job on insulation and no light gets through.

Get a remote start, the rear heater will be blasting while you are in bed, mine only gives two 10 min bursts but is usually enough.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Looks good! Nice work so far.
I think the general consensus on 12v heaters is you need a massive battery bank.
If you plan to be in the cold a bunch, which I think you do, search for threads on gas/diesel/propane heaters. Lots of talk about those as well as electric. Also electric blankets.

skibum148

Looks good! Did you fasten the platform to the floor? Looks like you left the factory plastic side wall trim in place. I like your drawer!

I didn't fasten it to to the floor yet, the way I built it, it's easy to take out so I can put the seats back in. So far it doesn't move around, and doesn't tip over with the drawer out if your careful about how you load it. I have a plan o use the factory rear seat mount to hold it in place, I also would like to make a bracket to install the rear bench facing backwards to make getting onto the bed easier and make it so the bed platform could be used as a small table if the weather gets bad.

I can't argue with a blue passenger van, nice choice..........

I like the higher bed it gives you more width, we use reflectix cut just a little bigger than the window trim, it will pop in and stay put. I does a very good job on insulation and no light gets through.

Get a remote start, the rear heater will be blasting while you are in bed, mine only gives two 10 min bursts but is usually enough.

I have seen the reflectix, only real problem is it's obvious that it's in the Windows and someone is in there, I would prefer something more stealth.

The remote starter is probably the top choice right now for heating in the morning, just wanted to see if there are other viable options. I know I don't need heat through the night, so I can't justify spending allot on a gas or diesel heater

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
Would it be possible to glue a thin layer of black felt to one side of the reflectix. This would give the look of dark window tint.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I adhered black foam backed headliner fabric to one side of my reflectix curtains and when up the van is completely blacked out. I put tan colored auto carpet on the other side(because I had it), so the interior looks better, but if I did it again I would use a tan colored headliner on the inside. I then I bound the edges by sewing black nylon Webb I g folded around the edges.

skibum148

I adhered black foam backed headliner fabric to one side of my reflectix curtains and when up the van is completely blacked out. I put tan colored auto carpet on the other side(because I had it), so the interior looks better, but if I did it again I would use a tan colored headliner on the inside. I then I bound the edges by sewing black nylon Webb I g folded around the edges.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, where did you get the headliner from?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
That sounds like what I'm looking for, where did you get the headliner from?
I picked it up at a local upholstery supplier. It is pretty common. I am sure it could be found online as well.
I used high temp contact adhesive to glue them together.

skibum148

progress update 12-6-16

I still haven't had time to make the curtains, Been busy skiing since we finally got some snow. but i made some updates to the drawer. i added side wals, used 5.5mm plywood, and put in a heavy duty rubber/plastic floor. its made by husky and sold by homdepot. should help protect the plywood from getting too banged up from ski's and other gear.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377782&d=1481054160&thumb=1&stc=1

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377783&d=1481054160&thumb=1&stc=1

I tried to make a PVC rack to make it easier to stack ski's and keep them organized, it worked well until the mountain roads where it wanted to fall over, Rev B will be double wide with a divider up the middle, should keep it more stable, and the bag chairs can go in the other side if i decide not to bring too many pairs of ski's.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377784&d=1481054160&thumb=1&stc=1

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377785&d=1481054202&thumb=1&stc=1

Just had to throw in a shot of the recent snow up at Stowe we stayed up in the area, and the 2 person Grizzly -25 was still too warm with a low around 22 F. I think we are going to try out the 0 degree version, and choose the right bag for the temperature. One downside i have found to this sleeping bag, is that it does not fit in a normal washing machine. so ill probbaly get a liner of some sort that can easily be washed to help keep it clean.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=377786&d=1481054202&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• 20161203_165445.jpg
    20161203_165445.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20161203_163352.jpg
    20161203_163352.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20161203_163346.jpg
    20161203_163346.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20161203_165620.jpg
    20161203_165620.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20161204_141826.jpg
    20161204_141826.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 25

philos

Explorer
Reflectix takes flat black rustoleum nicely... Two yeas and counting on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

45Kevin

Adventurer
We put black felt on the outside of our reflectix window covers. From the outside, day or night, it just looks like a deep window tint.

Nice looking van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke