Rattle can is out, Vinyl Wrap is in. Digital Camo Vinyl wrap on my K30Blazer

brushogger

Explorer
This looks great! I considered doing it as a protective measure on the FJ. After seeing what the wrap did to the finish on Scott B's Landcruiser, I nixed the idea.

Last edited:

Cult Hero

Observer
Didn't see that but my finish is pretty bad. I sanded and spray painted and sanded some more. My truck is 30 years old

Happykamper

Explorer
Cult great job !!! The chev Orange which is the color of my 70 Cheyenne stepside looks freaking great ! Really stands out...which I'm thinking what you were hoping for:)

NORDFORD

I think it looks awesome! I had no idea the wrap itself was so affordable. Nice work on a ************ build. BTW, I love the orange accents!

Ivan

Lost in Space
Only costs 50x as much as a rattle can job, but have at it. If you can afford to spend the money in this economy, good for you.

I'd like to do it, as a barrier against desert pinstriping. But I only paid $6k for my used Suburban in the first place. Not paying half again to wrap it.

You can get Monstaliner and paint your truck for about $300, in a variety of colors, and have a durable finish.

Frugal, not cheap.

Cult Hero

Observer
You can get Monstaliner and paint your truck for about $300, in a variety of colors, and have a durable finish.

Frugal, not cheap.

I seriously considered this as I lined my trailer bed with UPol Raptor and was really impressed with it. I even got paint codes and was ready to pull the trigger, but the thing that deterred me was that you were committing to the finish for the life of the metal. You can't just peel it off and start again. Also the finishes trap a lot of dirt. My trailer sees a lot of cross duty but the bed is always dirty. Not a huge deal but....

Going with the wrap wasn't that much more $$. The UPol isn't cheap and if I hate it, I peel it off...

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I seriously considered this as I lined my trailer bed with UPol Raptor and was really impressed with it. I even got paint codes and was ready to pull the trigger, but the thing that deterred me was that you were committing to the finish for the life of the metal. You can't just peel it off and start again. Also the finishes trap a lot of dirt. My trailer sees a lot of cross duty but the bed is always dirty. Not a huge deal but....

Going with the wrap wasn't that much more $$. The UPol isn't cheap and if I hate it, I peel it off...

Awesome rig, I love the orange accents and the over all look.

I had a hardtop for a Jeep JY Rhino lined 15 years ago and hated how much dirt it trapped, even with a pressure washer it took forever to get rid of the splotches and get it totally clean. Back to black helped a lot as I recall.

The paint on my Crew cab is bad and wrap might be the answer to my problem.

Any tips on applying the wrap for a fellow DIY'er?

outdoor_funguy

"Wow! That looks awesome! I like your idea! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from Gatowraps.com
"

Paddy

Adventurer
I'm looking st some wrap materials on eBay for 27$ you can get a piece 5'x7' delivered. Seems like a great deal and cheaper than paint really.

Cult Hero

Observer
I would not consider the cheaper stuff. This is one area where you really get what you pay for. I wanted a 3M wrap as I know they know how to do it right. Even the distributor I bought from mentioned that there was a difference between the 3M stuff and his other line (Avery). Mentioned that the adhesive was superior and easier to work with. Last thing I want is to have this look like crap in 6 months.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: As with any VINYL, it'll last 50 years----if protected from the sun !

I noticed a mention of "pin striping"--trouble with this kind of protection is that once scratched/ripped/gouged---how you gonna repair it, because it'll show very badly !

HOWEVER, we gotta have new ideas and trials, so go forit--I've been using vinyl stripes/decals for decades and if your a little more careful and limit sun exposure--they're cool !

Good luck-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Cult Hero

Observer
Ha ha. This is gonna see full sun. Doesn't come close to fitting in my garage lol.

I disagree with the repair. I have already patched a lot of panels that I messed up on and unless I pointed them out you would never notice them. The pattern hides a ton

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thats good, using that pattern-

Ha ha. This is gonna see full sun. Doesn't come close to fitting in my garage lol.

I disagree with the repair. I have already patched a lot of panels that I messed up on and unless I pointed them out you would never notice them. The pattern hides a ton

In the past I've had problems with SOLID colors vinyl/scratch's--so hang in there-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne